Thread: Side mirrors have a mind of their own

My Cars
    4 BMWs.

Side mirrors have a mind of their own

Help please.... Recently the side mirrors have grown a mind of their own... you'll be driving and they will start adjusting themselves in all wacky directions. If you try to control them from the switch they go everyway except how you want them to. If I move the selector to the passenger side one, it will disable the more important driver's side one. What module has failed? or could it be the switch?

Thanks,
    Al.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    E46M
    Ghost inside car mod?

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    seriously, no this is unsafe... I also noticed they moved for a short time when I shut the car off.

My Cars
    E46M
    I see.

My ///M side mirrors also had a weird functioning problem.

Every time I would push the button on my key to unlock my doors, I could hear my mirrors shifting...and I had to switch them back before driving...however this problem stopped on its own, so really, I have no idea..

My Cars
    98m395m30032394318ic
    Just a guess here...
    Switch may just be dirty or bad,.. try removing it and clean it with electronic cleaner. But you say it doesn't do it when you switch over to the right side?? Then, methinks it has something to do with the memory buttons, because the switch is the same. check wires around there and make sure none are grounding out etc..

2K.. sounds like your mirrors were adjusting automatically to the memory (key) settings..when you hit unlock, the settings are set for each key (driver) and they'll adjust along with the seat... read up on it if you like... usually though if you put some am M mirrors you lose that function.. you sure it didn't go away when you put those mirrors?

Anyhoo. just a guess,.. if it only does it for one side and it's the same switch...I would search for some wiring diagrams for the memory controller to the mirrors, seems like that's what's going crazy,.. good luck.!
    93 e36 vert / 95 E36 M3 Alpine / 98 M3/4 Estoril / 00 '46 Frankenbimmer CI , 68s / shark tooth injected driver bolster with slimline low gloss duct tape / angled front pass kidney grill with custom eject hood release / EE LEDs moisture sealed/ Pep Boys silicone / Google sky point OEM HIDs with glovebox leveling arm after wishbone install / custom BMW round pin diagnostic to USB cabin routed laptop with INPA for constant CE light delete / sock modded / t-shirt mod / clicking sound.

My Cars
    E46M
    My ///M mirrors came with my car. They're the ones that can move up or down completely (the whole mirror not just the glass).

And yeah, my seat would adjust a lot closer to the steering wheel sometimes too, but like I said, doesn't happen anymore.

My Cars
    2005 325i
    i was having the same problem recently... like would be facing all the way towards the car... but then one day i realized i was bumping the switch when opening/closing my door.

pay close attention when your opening/closing your doors and see if your bumping it as i was... lol.

makes ya feel really dumb but worth paying attention too...haha

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachumz View Post
    i was having the same problem recently... like would be facing all the way towards the car... but then one day i realized i was bumping the switch when opening/closing my door.

pay close attention when your opening/closing your doors and see if your bumping it as i was... lol.

makes ya feel really dumb but worth paying attention too...haha
    I wish it was something that simple... The mirrors would actually move by themselves while your driving with both hands on the wheel.

My Cars
    Looking.....
    I'm betting on the memory module or reverse control acting up.

My Cars
    '04 330CIC
    Have you tried engaging the different memory buttons on the drivers seat to see if they are sticking? Or erasing all the memory settings and seeing if that stops the mirrors from moving on their own?
    '04 330CIC, 3 pedals, M Sports\Aerodynamic Packages
    '05 BMW R1200RT
    '94 BMW R100GSPD
    '84 BMW R100S (Wannabe)

My Cars
    750i ,530i
    Oh And I have a 2009 750i

My Cars
    750i ,530i
    I had the same issue what it ended up being was a bit of rain water had seeped into my switches on the driver side originally I ignored the fact that they had got a lil bit wet but the following day my mirrors had a mind of their own flipping backwards and adjusting to the sky had to clean the switches and get the moisture out and it works fine like new my guess is that if u don't catch this problem soon enough it could short out or burn up the motor to the mirrors because I parked my car and I know I hadn't tucked the mirrors away but when I came back to my car I had folded mirrors and nothing worked until I cleaned out those switches hopefully this helps you

My Cars
    2003 325Ti Z3 '99
    My 330 i"s mirrors would randomly fold flat, the passengers mirror would dip when I selected reverse.
    All windows would also go up or down when I turned key on or off.
    I cured all these problems by selling the car.
    Doesn't happen with my 325Ti.
    Tony.