Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Chassis : E36 vs E46

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    ^Ummm, affordable?

LSx swap or S54 swap your looking at $10k or so.

I suppose if the E46 ever gets down to $5-10k like the E36 then sure. You have to count all of the other goodies your going to spend on suspension, etc.

My Cars
    08 E93, 99 E36--S54

Second the S54 Swap

I have an E36 with an S54 swap. I also have the car seam welded and ran the cage through the firewall to front strut towers to add rigidity.

By the time all was said and done, probably could have purchased an E46 for same dollars. Different car, though.

I think the steering is quite a bit more precise in the E36. I'd say you have to drive both and see what you like......

The point about more E46's getting totaled would also point to more good donor cars.

One thing to note, while E46 part development has recently increased, there are still far more options for upgrades and goodies on E36 right now.
    Charles M.
    Naperville, IL
    Street Car -
    -2009 Carrera S Cabriolet

Street SUV
    - 2012 Cayenne

Track Cars
    - 2007 Cayman S, Under Construction

My Cars
    cars
    Quote Originally Posted by cmargosi View Post
    One thing to note, while E46 part development has recently increased, there are still far more options for upgrades and goodies on E36 right now.
    Not sure I agree with that...examples of Upgrades/Goodies available for e36 not available for E46?

I actually think the opposite, specifically with BMW Motorsport style parts, seems E46 has progressed more, with companies like Ohlins making dedicated E46 systems...E36 is not available by most of the larger companies in the very high end applications. Another example is I don't believe PFC makes an OEM kit like they do for E46.

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot euro M3 SMG & '93 dakar yellow euro M3
    When it comes to dampers maybe Ohlins is the exception but otherwise every highend brand makes them for an E36. Moton, Sachs, JRZ, Intrax etc they all make systems for them, plenty of choice. Pretty sure PFC does a braking system for the E36 as well.

You could develop an E46 further than an E36 by use of more professional chassis parts though. You could use parts that were used in BMW's S2000 program (WTCC BTCC STCC etc) for an E46 chassis, however by the time you are at this budget level then the price difference between a used E46 M3 and a used E36 M3 does not matter anymore. People who work at that level over here do not strip an old E46 M3 chassis for parts but they order a caged S2000 shell from BMW directly and put an S54 into that

The BMW E36 Gr.A and Gr.N where simply closer to the stock car then the E46 GTR and S2000 cars.
    E36 M3 S50B32 daily - E36 M3 S54 trackcar

They Say Money Talks, All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye

My Cars
    Nothing for now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent 930 View Post
    ^Ummm, affordable?

LSx swap or S54 swap your looking at $10k or so.

I suppose if the E46 ever gets down to $5-10k like the E36 then sure. You have to count all of the other goodies your going to spend on suspension, etc.
    Depends if you buy or kit or fab your own, and every chassis you'll have to add up the goodies anyway.

No one has an idea on the E46 ABS system working without the ECU? Any way to do it? Or it's just easier to swap in an E36 ABS?

My Cars
    08 E93, 99 E36--S54

My Car

Runs E36 ABS.

I was referring to the more pedestrian race development products for the E36 ($200 splitters, etc.). On the high end, I'm sure there's plenty for the E46. However, for instance, for a long time, there were fewer options for exhaust, oil coolers, etc. This is all changing (i.e. BW's new oil cooler that I put in my car).

And PFC makes a BBK for E36, which I have on the front of my car. They don't make stock replacement rotors, to my knowledge.
    Charles M.
    Naperville, IL
    Street Car -
    -2009 Carrera S Cabriolet

Street SUV
    - 2012 Cayenne

Track Cars
    - 2007 Cayman S, Under Construction

My Cars
    Nothing for now!
    Runs E36 ABS.

I was referring to the more pedestrian race development products for the E36 ($200 splitters, etc.). On the high end, I'm sure there's plenty for the E46. However, for instance, for a long time, there were fewer options for exhaust, oil coolers, etc. This is all changing (i.e. BW's new oil cooler that I put in my car).

And PFC makes a BBK for E36, which I have on the front of my car. They don't make stock replacement rotors, to my knowledge.
    No I asked earlier in the thread what were the option to keep ABS on the E46 when you swap the ECU, I think it's not like the E36 which as a seperate module to run it. I've read some people just find it easier to swap in the E36 ABS in the E46 when they run a motec for example.

My Cars
    95 M3, 98 M3, 08 M3
    I've seen the direct drive rotors (is that their name?) on Wonger's car with stock calipers. That's what I'd call stock replacements even though they are two piece.

Carlos.

My Cars
    E36 m3, E36 318ti
    E36 anyday,
    Its chassis is smoother and easy on the twisties andthe cars its self is more reliable and looks better and is more popular in american and out

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gisqc View Post
    I've done quite alot of research on both chassis, there's alot of info on both chassis, but every E36 M3 vs E46 M3 thread I found was biased. People were comparing them in stock form or atleast with their motor, which gave the E46 M3 a huge HP advantage.

What about chassis only, E36 M3 or E46 M3 would be better at the track?

I know Evosport guys prefers E46 all the way (hope the will chime in). I remember reading they said one of there E46 with a HP cage only was outlapping Jholder E36 Fully built (and caged) CM car while being heavier and down on hp (~60whp)

Then many would seem to prefer the E36 mainly for weight reason (and price, but lets not put that as a reason here!)

Other than them I haven't found much opinion on the subject.

What would make the E46 better for a track car over the E36?

-Suspension design?
    -Beefier/stronger rear-end?
    -Chassis rigidity?
    -Does all of those overcomes the higher weight?
    -Anything else?

Bigger fenders to fit huge tires more easily are definitly a plus, but nothing that can be overcome on an E36.

Let's discuss.
    E36 any day,
    Its better, as in looking wise and performance wise, its also very comfortable and powerful and mean looking and its more popular in america and out of it and its better when it comes to modifications

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345