Thread: Looking for advice: E65 Alpina B7 or 760i

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL

Question Looking for advice: E65 Alpina B7 or 760i

I'm in the middle stages of selecting my next ride and I would like to get some advice from people that have A LOT of opinions. I'm flip-flopping on the Alpina B7 and 760i. I'm also fighting the urge of doing the swb vs lwb because I've heard that it makes the car so much more nimble. I don't really see how 6" makes that big of a difference, but I am intrigued. I currently have the lwb in my E38 750 and it's very nice not to worry about adjusting seats and such for everyone from my young daughters to my 6'+ tall coworkers getting in and out of the car. Both are pretty exclusive, which I like, both are fast and is very nimble for their size, so that's a push, but it's other 'luxury' items that I need answers to like:

1. does either have the double pane glass like my 750 does (trust me, it makes a difference)?
    2. how easy/hard is the ipod/iphone connectivity (really big deal to me!)?
    3. heated steering (don't knock it until you've had it)?
    4. comfort/convenience package: does both have these packages as options? (keyless go and soft close would be nice features to have)

I haven't driven either as of yet so I'll be venturing out soon to do that, but since they are pretty rare that may be an exercise in itself. Unless some of my fellow local BMW brethren would be so gracious as to meet and talk about your B7/760i and let me go for a test drive

Oh, (flame-resistant suit on) and I'm scared to go test drive that Hyundai Equus because from just the numbers and pictures I've seen online, that looks like a damn nice car! But also, can I really feel good about spending $60k+ on a Hyundai...seriously?

My Cars
    2004 BMW 745i sport
    I've driven both(bmw tech) and my preference is definitely the Alpina B7. The N73 V12 in the 760Li is as smooth an engine as it gets, but can be very high maintenance. It was the first bmw engine with direct injection, which can be trickey to diagnose and very expensive to repair. Its a rare engine but occasionally we have issues with the injectors, high pressure pumps, and carbon buildup on the intake valves.
    The Alpina B7 basically has the interior benefits of the 760, but has a simpler engine yet makes more power. Its an N62 out of the older 745 with beefed up internals and a supercharger. Theres added maintenance like changing the spark plugs every 30k and replacing the supercharger clutch every 60k, but the powertrain has proven to be bullet proof. The look of the car is far more distinct than a 760. And the biggest thing is one day the B7 will be a collectible, the 760 will not.

Quote Originally Posted by Md750 View Post

1. does either have the double pane glass like my 750 does (trust me, it makes a difference)?
    2. how easy/hard is the ipod/iphone connectivity (really big deal to me!)?
    3. heated steering (don't knock it until you've had it)?
    4. comfort/convenience package: does both have these packages as options? (keyless go and soft close would be nice features to have)
    -The protection package was alot rarer on the E65/66 than on the E38. I know it was offered on the 760 but Im not sure if they built the B7 with that option. If your main concern is noise, these cars have laminated glass and triple door seals, so wind/exterior noise is neglible anyways.
    -There is an Iphone adapter offered for later production E65,and ipod interface is a dealer installed option
    -Heated steering is nice if your up north
    -Comfort access is an option, but its pretty much standard equipment on both these models. As a tech the feature is more of a headache though, lol
    Last edited by meangreen94z; 10-15-2010 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreen94z View Post
    I've driven both(bmw tech) and my preference is definitely the Alpina B7. The N73 V12 in the 760Li is as smooth an engine as it gets, but can be very high maintenance. It was the first bmw engine with direct injection, which can be trickey to diagnose and very expensive to repair. Its a rare engine but occasionally we have issues with the injectors, high pressure pumps, and carbon buildup on the intake valves.
    The Alpina B7 basically has the interior benefits of the 760, but has a simpler engine yet makes more power. Its an N62 out of the older 745 with beefed up internals and a supercharger. Theres added maintenance like changing the spark plugs every 30k and replacing the supercharger clutch every 60k, but the powertrain has proven to be bullet proof. The look of the car is far more distinct than a 760. And the biggest thing is one day the B7 will be a collectible, the 760 will not.
    Now that's a write up I can use right there...I really appreciate it!
    -There is an Iphone adapter offered for later production E65,and ipod interface is a dealer installed option
    do you know the build date of when they started doing that?
    -Heated steering is nice if your up north
    My heated steering wheel has stopped working for me in my current E38 750 and I'm mad that I ever started using it...i REALLY miss that on those cold days!
    -Comfort access is an option, but its pretty much standard equipment on both these models. As a tech the feature is more of a headache though, lol
    really...how so? is there something i can do as preventative maintenance?

My Cars
    '06 750Li, '06 HiHy
    Alpina's are worth more in some cases but I can tell you that you CAN buy '07 B7's with low 30s in mileage for the VERY low $40's right NOW so it's s good time to buy if your looking.
    2012 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch

My Cars
    2004 BMW 745i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Md750 View Post
    Now that's a write up I can use right there...I really appreciate it!

do you know the build date of when they started doing that?

My heated steering wheel has stopped working for me in my current E38 750 and I'm mad that I ever started using it...i REALLY miss that on those cold days!

really...how so? is there something i can do as preventative maintenance?
    Theres different I-phone adapters for the different phones, Im not sure on exact production but I believe theyre functional on '06 and on cars(the part dept. at a dealer can give you an exact date). The adapter is only for charging/linking the bluetooth portion of the phone. The IPOD interface installs in place of the CD changer and is used for playing music.

The door handles have a built in capacitor and electronics for the comfort access function. When they go bad, sometimes they just stop working, other times they'll operate fine but intermittently drain the battery down while its parked. Its an issue that does occur but not necessarily on every car.
    Last edited by meangreen94z; 10-24-2010 at 01:44 PM.

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    Theres different I-phone adapters for the different phones, Im not sure on exact production but I believe theyre functional on '06 and on cars(the part dept. at a dealer can give you an exact date). The adapter is only for charging/linking the bluetooth portion of the phone. The IPOD interface installs in place of the CD changer and is used for playing music.

The door handles have a built in capacitor and electronics for the comfort access function. When they go bad, sometimes they just stop working, other times they'll operate fine but intermittently drain the battery down while its parked. Its an issue that does occur but not necessarily on every car.
    Awesome! thanks again...i have to admit, i'm leaning toward the B7 after reading your post. even though my e38 750 hasn't given me a lot of problems (knocking on wood...), it does carry a lot of weight that a tech is saying that the B7 engine is a better engine. i also think i'm more of a performance driver so i think the B7 would be a better fit. losing the cd changer isn't a big deal at all for me as i don't have one in my car now. now, i guess i just have to find some to drive now and finding to right color combo...alpina blue or silver on black

My Cars
    2003 745li

How would you diagnose the door handle problem? Thanks

My Cars
    No 1/2 tons
    Dual pane glass, and protection package glass are two extremely different things.

Get a B7. B12s are still fetching high prices where as the standard e65/66s have diminished substantially, this trend will carry on to the F01 760. Direct injection is just a problem waiting to happen. Get Alpina blue. Prepare to fix a lot of things on either platform. They aren't as stout as the E32/38 cars which have enough problems on their own. Some get lucky and don't have to fix much. Others habitually spend $1000 or more each visit to the dealer for minor repairs.

Buy a B7

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    FINALLY purchased my 2007 B7 last week...black/black w/ 27k miles. All is well...had it checked out Friday. So far it's awesome...I know I made the right choice!

My Cars
    07 Alpina B7
    Congrats! Having spent a month with mine I cannot help but think you will love it more as time goes by. Enjoy.

BTW, post up some pics!

My Cars
    7 series
    nice congrats

how much did you pay?
    - 2008 BMW 535i - 2007 SUZUKI GSXR-750 - 2003 BMW 745i SOLD -

My Cars
    08 B7, MB SLK,Marai
    I bought an 08 B7, but also have driven an 08 750i. If you get a chance to drive the 750i you will see why the B7 is so much better. Congrats and enjoy the new car. I just crossed 8400 miles on mine. (watch out for pot holes - I hit one on my birthday and took out the right front tire and wheel as well as bent and bubbled the right rear)