Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VMWare with DIS/SSS

My Cars
    95 M3, 19 RS3

VMWare with DIS/SSS

So I have setup my software on my Vista unit. The VMWare emulator is the program that runs DIS. But there is a problem...

The system fires up and I can do a manual identification for testing purpose only. There is no coms with the EDIABAS cable. The cable illuminates green though when plugged into the ODBII port.

It appears my computer doesn't see the cable.

Here is the error I get...has anyone ever use the setup I mentioned or seen this error?

Thanks

***edit***
    BTW I am using a USB/Serial adapter. I really hope that isn't the problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DVMotorsports; 10-13-2010 at 08:11 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 330CI DropTop
    How did you configure the network adapters - custom: VMNet1

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    What USB adapter?
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    E30 325is
    we had similar problem, just make sure before you boot up VMware image u have connected the cable to the OBD on the car... we found that to fix the problem...

but what it meant that every car we scan we had to reboot the VMware machine....such a drag....

if anyone knows a fix id love to hear it...

sash

EDIT**** for USB to serial adapter ull need to add the hardware driver in VMWARE...

My Cars
    95 M3, 19 RS3
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer187 View Post
    How did you configure the network adapters - custom: VMNet1
    Net0 is bridged to ethernet

Net1 is set to subnet

Quote Originally Posted by IcemanBHE View Post
    What USB adapter?
    Gigaware (Radioshack) serial to usb. Then from serial, i plug in the serial to OBDII EDIABAS, which of course goes into the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by SAZ894 View Post
    we had similar problem, just make sure before you boot up VMware image u have connected the cable to the OBD on the car... we found that to fix the problem...

but what it meant that every car we scan we had to reboot the VMware machine....such a drag....

if anyone knows a fix id love to hear it...

sash

EDIT**** for USB to serial adapter ull need to add the hardware driver in VMWARE...
    I will definitley attempt and report. Thanks

***EDIT***
    I have only installed DIS and SSS. I have INPA and EDIABAS files as well that I did not individually install. I'm assuming that they installed with DIS/SSS. But I don't know how to tell.
    Last edited by DVMotorsports; 10-13-2010 at 09:24 PM.

My Cars
    ///M
    im working with dvmotorsports on this one. this is a screenshot of our settings as of right now. what are we missing?

My Cars
    1987 RX7 2+2
    if you don't mind me asking, but where were you able to find DIS V57 English at? the 3 I've tried all end up being in Russian
    Fast Track '09
    NJ S.T.E.P
    . 35 - the cake is a lie

What do you call a BMW on a flatbed?
    -Maintenance interval.

Zoom - Zoom
    Forever

My Cars
    BMW 330CI DropTop
    You need first to install INPA because, there is a file you need to run before starting DIS or SSS.

It's called IFHSrv32.exe - C:/EDIABAS/Bin/IFHSrv32.exe
    I see you are using V57, you need the Diaghead Emulator too.
    Run them both before starting DIS.

Here are the correct vmware network settings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    95 M3, 19 RS3
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer187 View Post
    You need first to install INPA because, there is a file you need to run before starting DIS or SSS.

It's called IFHSrv32.exe - C:/EDIABAS/Bin/IFHSrv32.exe
    I see you are using V57, you need the Diaghead Emulator too.
    Run them both before starting DIS.

Here are the correct vmware network settings.

Man I suck at this computer stuff. Is there a PDF instruction anywhere? I have no idea what I am doing. I work on cars, not computers.

And thanks to all who have assisted thus far.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    You do not need to run a diaghead emulator. I run DIS v44, DIS v57 and PROGMAN v32 and do not use a diaghead emulator. Diaghead emulators are messy, inconvenient and unnecessary.

DIS v57 vm.jpg DIS v57 network.jpg
    Last edited by David Mc; 10-17-2010 at 09:04 AM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 320i limo
    Can you use DIS v57 (programs) on v44 base instal? Can it be done by choosing Update in DIS and selecting the v57 iso file?

Regards,

Luka

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Yes, I have DIS v57 loaded on an EasyDIS v44 Base but you cannot update from an earlier version, you need to create a new virtual machine.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325
    run DIS without diaghead emulator?
    How do I configure the network? (More details)

My Cars
    03 540i M Sport/95 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    You do not need to run a diaghead emulator. I run DIS v44, DIS v57 and PROGMAN v32 and do not use a diaghead emulator. Diaghead emulators are messy, inconvenient and unnecessary.

First of all, thank you David for all the help and info provided to the community. I just finished installing Easy DIS and V44 programs on my Dell laptop running in a VMware virtual machine. INPA and EDIABAS are installed on the Windows side. Cables are on order. Your threads, Randomy's, and many others have been invaluable in helping me get to this point. My question is:

I thought the virtual machine running under VMware is a diaghead emulator. What am I not understanding about the distinction between a diaghead emulator and the VMware virtual machine?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 320i limo
    A little off topic:

How do you guys run Wmware in full screen? And i dont mean CTRL ALT ENTER, coz when i press that it only shows me the DIS in the middle, the rest is black around.

I want to somehow expand the DIS to full screen, altering the display settings in GT1 virtual mashine doesnt work

Regards,

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by act8238 View Post
    run DIS without diaghead emulator?
    How do I configure the network? (More details)
    Translator set to FISTER, configure processes so that vm is set to not run.

Quote Originally Posted by paradoxy88 View Post
    A little off topic:

How do you guys run Wmware in full screen? And i dont mean CTRL ALT ENTER, coz when i press that it only shows me the DIS in the middle, the rest is black around.

I want to somehow expand the DIS to full screen, altering the display settings in GT1 virtual mashine doesnt work

Regards,
    Left click onto the DIS screen first, then hit Ctrl+Alt+Enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark185 View Post
    First of all, thank you David for all the help and info provided to the community. I just finished installing Easy DIS and V44 programs on my Dell laptop running in a VMware virtual machine. INPA and EDIABAS are installed on the Windows side. Cables are on order. Your threads, Randomy's, and many others have been invaluable in helping me get to this point. My question is:

I thought the virtual machine running under VMware is a diaghead emulator. What am I not understanding about the distinction between a diaghead emulator and the VMware virtual machine?
    A diaghead emulator is actually a seperate comms program designed to relay signals from the vm to the diaghead.

My Cars
    BMW 330CI DropTop
    Quote Originally Posted by paradoxy88 View Post
    A little off topic:

Regards,
    DIS works with a resolution of 1024x768.
    So if you change the resolution of your pc/laptop to 1024x768 then start DIS, you will see it at full screen.
    I don't think you can stretch the program to a higher resolution. It will stay on 1024x768.

My Cars
    95 M3, 19 RS3
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post

So are you saying that I do not need to install EDIABAS or INPA? I can just install v57 and plug the cable in? If that is the case, that is exactly where i'm at, but no luck yet. And I am using the same settings that you have in those screen shots.

**edit***

I think I may have identified a problem, if not the exact problem

Here are two screen shots. In the first (mine) you'll see the OS in VMWare set as Vista. In the second (randomy) his OS is set as other.

So....I don't know if this is the problem. The reason I say that is DIS starts up just fine. I just cannot communicate with the cable. But maybe it's just that simple. I chose the wrong option perhaps.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by DVMotorsports; 10-19-2010 at 08:02 PM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    That definitely is a problem as your operating system for the guest machine is decidedly not Vista - it is UNIX, which is why Randomy's is set as "other".

My Cars
    95 M3, 19 RS3
    Figures I would screw that up.

I'm thinking that VMWare is configured in a way that Vista would see the ports (a particular code per se) rather than in a way that the GT1 would see them.

Perhaps I pulled that out of my ass. But it makes sense to me.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    This is a common misconception, your actual physical computer (the host) is the one with the Vista OS. The whole reason for creating a "virtual" (guest) computer is to allow you to run software that requires an OS which is not available on the host (like DIS, which requires a UNIX host). This is why your virtual machine asks what type of OS is required on the guest (virtual machine). Hopefully this explanation will clear things up for others too - don't worry, the learning curve is extremely steep but very satisfying.

My Cars
    95 M3, 19 RS3
    Yeah I just misread the prompt when I was installing. So given the other screen shots that I have posted, if I make this change, the issue should be rectified IMO.

Your thoughts David?

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Agreed, but you may have to reload everything to make it work. Try it, you have nothing to lose.

My Cars
    03 540i M Sport/95 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by DVMotorsports View Post
    So are you saying that I do not need to install EDIABAS or INPA? I can just install v57 and plug the cable in? If that is the case, that is exactly where i'm at, but no luck yet. And I am using the same settings that you have in those screen shots.
    I think you still need EDIABAS and INPA. Aren't they the Windows programs that enable the PC to talk to the cars' data bus through the serial port? If I understand correctly, EDIABAS and INPA are the bridge between the VMware Unix machine running DIS and the vehicle's computers. I think the Diaghead emulator is something else. I am not sure about this because I am still on the steep part of the learning curve.

If I am correct and you don't have EDIABAS and INPA configured correctly, that is your problem.

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    You must have EDIABAS, as thats the translation protocol between INPA or DIS, the cable and your computer.

INPA and DIS are both diagnostics tools.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast