Thread: need a little advice on a 328is

My Cars
    97 silver 328is

need a little advice on a 328is

hey guys,
    i am looking at a 1997 328is with 64,xxx on the clock. seems pretty clean, i can't find any leaks or anything.
    is there anything i should look for on this particular model that would be a tell tale sign of trouble?
    thanks
    "The koalas are so hungry they are eating pine needles," "What will tourists think of a habitat of denuded trees with desperate, starving koalas roaming the damaged landscape?"

My Cars
    1995 318is, 1998 Dodge Neon (SOHC), 1999 MB ML320

Spend at least 1 hour of labor on a

a BMW mechanic/shop before you purchase. 64+k miles is considered a 'very new' preowned E36

My Cars
    '92 325is
    The number one thing I tell people when getting a used car is to get a buyer's inspection by a reputable mechanic. Ideally you would want this inspection to include a leak-down test and compresion test to make sure the engine is strong but that is often an extra fee. This will give you the best "judgement" as to whether or not the car is one you should persue to purchase. Ask to see the seller's service records as well to see if they have been keeping up on regular service.

-Blair

My Cars
    97 silver 328is
    thanks guys.
    "The koalas are so hungry they are eating pine needles," "What will tourists think of a habitat of denuded trees with desperate, starving koalas roaming the damaged landscape?"

My Cars
    2006 330i
    Blair is right, here locally we are the only independant German car shop. People bring us cars from the dealership (I'm sure that chaps thier ass).

Here is my advice, take it to a good mechanic and have them safety inspect it. You-look underneath and look for signs of either dry rot, oil or ATF leaking. 64K is pretty good. Make sure this is the car you want. Another sound investment is to run a CARFAX on it. always a good thing to do.

Good luck and if you buy it, enjoy your new bimmer
    Got a new bimmer. 2006 e90. 330i. More to come. First big boy car.

My Cars
    97 silver 328is
    thanks steve,
    i ran a carfax on this car and although it was registered as private, it was sold at an auction on a fleet registration. what exactly does that mean? i understand that it was a part of some kinda group sell or something but i need more to satisfy my curiosity i guess.

My Cars
    2013 Kia Optima SX-L
    as others have said, the best thing you can do is get an inspection done by an independent mechanic.

as far as things for you to look for:
    -open the hood with the engine running, listen for any funny squeaks or rattles. everything should sound fairly smooth.
    -start and shut down the car yourself, listen for any funny noises at those points
    -look under the car and in the engine bay for signs of rust, corrosion, etc
    -ask for service records. in particular look for and ask about standard maintenance items such as:
       -regular oil/filter changes
       -BMW recommended Inspections I and II (including things like spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter)
       -brakes
       -tires
       -belts
       -battery
       -cooling system maintenance (water pump and thermostat replacement would be nice if it's done for you already, fluid flushes every 30k or so, etc)
       -O2 sensors probably haven't needed replacing yet, but extra bonus if they have been

the dealership I bought my car from had no prior service records for it, but an inspection at another shop came up pretty clean. I've done a lot of the items mentioned above just for my own peace of mind since I didn't know the history. if some of these things haven't been taken care of, it still could be a great car, and you can maybe use it to bargain a lower price on the car. I got a really good price on my car so I didn't mind throwing a bit more into it after buying.

good luck, and update us on what happens!

My Cars
    BMW 328i, Jeep Grand Cherokee
    hey if youre looking for a somewhat local shop that knows their stuff, go to Greenwich Motor Sales in Byram in Greenwich... they sell tons of used BMWs and know as much as any dealership, IMO... and if they wont let you take the car that far, check the stuff they have, you'll probably find a good deal... PM me if you need directions
    ~96 328i~

aaaah, the good old days

My Cars
    97 silver 328is
    hey montoya....i used to work in greenwich so i know where they are. i actually called tehm inquiring about a few of the cars but they seem to sell extremely fast.

My Cars
    2004 330i ZHP, 90 Mi
    go to Greenwich Motor Sales in Byram in Greenwich
    I second that sentiment. Jon (the owner) is a great guy to deal with and sells only quality cars, nothing that has ever been hit or repainted or anything like that. He has some good deals on his lot. I got my 328i from him a couple of years ago and my girl bought her 325ic vert from him.