Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: JIM@TR Continental ContiExtremeContact???

My Cars
    06' F150 4x4, 95 M3

JIM@TR Continental ContiExtremeContact???

Whats the deal with this tire?
    I have a buddy that has this tire on his WRX and so far so good,but he hasnt had them in the snow yet. But my question is how does this tire perform up against a true snow tire??

Right now I am in a toss up between this and a the dunlop M3's or alpines.

The car is a daily driver in NJ which gets about 500miles a week.
    The snow here is not to bad mostly between 2-6inches when it does snow(maybe 5-10times)in the winter.

Thanks

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    Bill,

I've used the Michelin Artic Alpine snow tires on my car with the factory 15's. I've also used the Pirelli WP210 on the same wheels.

The pirelli leaves allot to be desired in the fresh stuff, I found it was "okay" in the packed down snow. Dry handling was great for a snow tire, no problems at all.

the artic alpines on the other hand were unstoppable in the fresh snow, packed snow, ice, slush etc. However dry handling felt like all of my tires were running with low pressure due to the soft tread compound. this tire will make the differance when the snow really hits hard and you're far from home.

oh yeah, keep the ASC off when you're accelerating but keep it on when you're cruising.

-Ron

Hey man, I'm a professional!

My Cars
    06' F150 4x4, 95 M3
    Ron,

This tire isnt for the m3. Its for the 318ti and the maxima. The main thing is, I need a snow tire that is going to last the 500miles a week and when its 100miles away in snowy conditions get us home safe and warm.

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    right - those two tires I mentioned were size 205/60/HR15, the Artic Alpine isn't made to fit the M3.

to be serious and not sound like an ass, 100 miles away with poor road conditions should call for a hotel room and peace of mind rather then the fear of some fool in an SUV or rice rocket plowing into you as you slowly try to make your journey home.

the real issue here is that snow tires and good tread life are never spoken in the same breath.

there is a european snow tire that you can find in jersey - Nokian, look into them as north europeans don't faint from the site of snow, they thrive in it.

it's funny though - when I first saw the ContiExtremeContact, I thought they were snow tires.

-Ron

My Cars
    06' F150 4x4, 95 M3
    You had the artic alpines but now they have the Pilot Alpines which are for sport sedans....etc I wonder how these hold up also..

ordering time is getting closer and closer ..........

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    ordering time was last week from what I'm hearing about the weather by you.

the tirerack told me when I was buying rubber that: Artic Alpines gripped better in the snow and had better wear but the pilots gave better dry weather feel.

hope that helps.

-Ron