RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Pulled the trans input shaft seal, dented something behind it [PIC]

My Cars
    1997 328is

Pulled the trans input shaft seal, dented something behind it [PIC]

I'm in the midst of a clutch job, and I'm replacing some seals while I've got the transmission out. After a lot of work, I finally got the input shaft seal out (basically, I put holes it in, and pried at it for awhile). I was careful not to scratch the input shaft.

Turns out I slightly dented something that sits right behind the input shaft seal:

You can't see the dent in the photo, but it's there. It's on the orange part that is still install inside of the transmission. ( Also in the picture is the old input shaft seal that I removed.) The thing I dented almost looks like another seal, maybe a seal on a bearing. It seems to be metal with a light rubber coating, just like the input shaft seal. I only made a small dent, and the input shaft still turns very smoothly, as is it did before.

Anyone know what that is? I'm both curious, and hoping that I didn't make any problems for myself down the road.

To reinstall the new seal, I'm going to coat it with trans fluid, and lightly tap it in with the end of a ratchet extension until it is flush with the bellhousing, being careful to keep the new seal straight as it goes in.

Can't wait to have it all back together.

My Cars
    2008 328xi
    Looks like the seal on the side of the input bearing.
    If the dent is VERY slight it is probably OK.
    Use a block of hardwood to put the new bearing back in.
    Make sure to only press on the edges of the seal.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Thanks.

Here's the relevant RealOEM diagram: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...26&hg=23&fg=15

It's part #3. It does in fact look to be the input bearing.

Yes, the dent is very slight. I'm no longer concerned.

So anyway. What's involved in overhauling these transmissions?

My Cars
    E30 M3 turbo
    Sorry to revive this thread, but I was replacing the input shaft seal on the same transmission and I damaged the input shaft bearing behind it with my screwdriver too...but I actually pierced the seal on it! UGHHH!!!

I went ahead and ordered a new bearing because I want to get the tranny back in order...anyone have tips on getting the top of the case off so I can replace that bearing? What things do i have to remove before I can get it off? (removed all the bolts pointing toward the bell housing)

I don't have access to a press, am I screwed?

My Cars
    87 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter3k View Post
    Sorry to revive this thread, but I was replacing the input shaft seal on the same transmission and I damaged the input shaft bearing behind it with my screwdriver too...but I actually pierced the seal on it! UGHHH!!!

I went ahead and ordered a new bearing because I want to get the tranny back in order...anyone have tips on getting the top of the case off so I can replace that bearing? What things do i have to remove before I can get it off? (removed all the bolts pointing toward the bell housing)

I don't have access to a press, am I screwed?
    What transmission is this?
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    E30 M3 turbo
    The same one on the real oem link above. ZF from e36 m3 '96-99 I think and 328is. Thx!

My Cars
    1997 328is
    OP here. my dented seal on the bearing hasn't caused any problems.

how big is the hole you made? if it's really tiny, and you don't think the seal has been pushed into the ball bearings within the bearing itself, maybe you could just leave it if as-is. after all, the input shaft seal should prevent leaks, right?

maybe you can just leave it, and diligently watch for leaks or noises or vibrations. if you do have a problem, you're going to have to take the trans back out though, which is a drag. NOTE: this might be bad advice! i suppose that replacing the bearing is the right thing to do.

i hope it works out for you. if you try to replace the bearing, i hope you can get the transmission apart. it might be tough. please keep us updated. and don't let tihs get you down, haha. worse case scenario, a transmission shop might have to replace the bearing for you.

okay, i'm off to go finish replacing the power steering pump on my '95 wrangler. i'm doing it in the middle of a snowstorm right now. i need to finish it tonight as i need this car tomorrow. damnit!

My Cars
    E30 M3 turbo
    haha...thanks for the advice. i'm not sure, i'll take a picture and post it. i would assume the sealed inside of the bearings have a different type of grease/lube than the trans fluid and might cause them to fail early (?)

i ordered the bearing anyway, and it is a special order crap that i can't return...someone else offered me some advice and said I have to press on the input shaft and I might be able to rig up a bearing puller to do the job. I'll keep trying!

My Cars
    1997 328is
    push on the input shaft? interesting.

yeah, post a pic and let us know what happens.

maybe you want to stop by a transmission shop or two just to get some advice ..

My Cars
    E30 M3 turbo
    What I meant was...Push on the input shaft (with a press) while supporting the upper half of the case (close to where the two halves connect). That way it pushes the two halves of the transmission apart. Gonna see if I can rig up something to do it without a press.

My Cars
    E30 M3 turbo
    Ok...another person that knows more about these trannys than I do suggested that I may not have to replace the bearing. He said the same tranny fluid flows through the bearing, and the seal I damaged is just a dust cover. Here are some pictures. I sent him some pictures too, I'll see what his response is.

Consensus? lol
    Last edited by scooter3k; 12-31-2010 at 11:46 AM.

My Cars
    E30 M3 turbo
    So I just put a new input shaft seal on. It didn't look like I damaged any of the actual bearing surfaces, just the dust cover, and the shaft spun fine with no weird noises. Going to run it as-is and not risk actually damaging something by trying to take it apart. I'll post back once it runs with hopefully a happy update! Thanks for the suggestions so far

My Cars
    1997 328is
    yeah, you'll be fine, it doesn't look bad.

i secretly wanted you to pull the trans apart and take pictures for us though

My Cars
    E30 M3 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by alheim View Post
    yeah, you'll be fine, it doesn't look bad.

i secretly wanted you to pull the trans apart and take pictures for us though
    Hah...THANKS! lol

My Cars
    1988 325-1999 328
    Its not a cover,its the bearing cage that holds the bearing balls spaced evenly,a little dent don,t matter.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36
    So I just put a new input shaft seal on. It didn't look like I damaged any of the actual bearing surfaces, just the dust cover, and the shaft spun fine with no weird noises. Going to run it as-is and not risk actually damaging something by trying to take it apart. I'll post back once it runs with hopefully a happy update! Thanks for the suggestions so far

Any issues since then? Did your hole go all the way thru the brown/orange piece of the bearing? I am afraid my bearing will lose grease...

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Hello @namiam this is the OP. 7 years and many miles later, I have had no issues. Presumably the bearing is lubricated by the gear oil, along with the rest of the transmission. Fret not!

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36
    Quote Originally Posted by alheim View Post
    Hello @namiam this is the OP. 7 years and many miles later, I have had no issues. Presumably the bearing is lubricated by the gear oil, along with the rest of the transmission. Fret not!
    One difference though. You just dented it, whereas I have a hole. LOL

I will read more into it. You have a link saying that this particular bearing is in fact lubed with the gear oil?

- - - Updated - - -

Since you had a hole just like me, any update? Did the bearing end up failing?

My Cars
    1997 328i Convertabl
    Old thread but apparently this still happens lol. I just did the same thing and damaged my input shaft bearing seal but I actually pulled the seal/cover off. I ordered a new cover but after looking at the bearing I'm wondering if it can be left open? It appears to be lubed by the trans fluid and not full of grease. Any one know if the cover needs to be on?

20180314_122419.jpg20180314_122431.jpg

My Cars
    1997 328i Convertabl
    Well if anyone is wondering or if any one still reads this thread...... I spoke with a transmission shop and they told me to leave the cover off the bearing or if you damaged it to remove it if you are concerned. I was told the bearing cover is not there to keep grease or lubrication in the bearing.... it's there to keep metal chunks out. Almost all old transmissions have this bearing open with no issues. He told me if I was concerned then I should change the fluid more regular to remove any "possible" metal pieces. I've got 500 miles on mine now and no issues. Hope this helps someone if they are in a panic mode about damaging it!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Really? This orange bit is the seal of a sealed bearing(unless that thing is open on the back side), greased at the factory. It is not the ball cage or a dust cover. Lubricant does not flow through a sealed bearing, well it does now I suppose. Exactly why a sealed bearing is used in this environment baffles me but that bearing is damaged if that seal has been ruptured. Proceed at your own peril.
    Last edited by ross1; 04-25-2018 at 09:08 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36
    Quote Originally Posted by vishus View Post
    Old thread but apparently this still happens lol. I just did the same thing and damaged my input shaft bearing seal but I actually pulled the seal/cover off. I ordered a new cover but after looking at the bearing I'm wondering if it can be left open? It appears to be lubed by the trans fluid and not full of grease. Any one know if the cover needs to be on?

20180314_122419.jpg20180314_122431.jpg
    Like whoa. Keep us updated.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5; 04 M3 6M
    Ha ha. I had tranny fluid spurting from mine when I would turn the shaft. Talked to a transmission guy who said it makes no difference, just put the new seal in as originally planned. Sure enough. That was 5-6 years ago and thousands of track miles, not to mention all the many multiples of highway miles getting to and from the track.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vishus View Post
    I can't think of why not. It's the outer seal that does all the work.