Thread: Evaporator Removal Help

My Cars
    '97 840CI

Evaporator Removal Help

Looking for some help on removing the double pipe attached to the AC expansion valve shown below.

Manual indicates removal of upper nut and lower screw and then simply states "remove the double pipe". With both screws removed, the double pipe appears to be fairly well captured between the expansion valve on the bottom and HVAC housing on the top.

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    91 850i +++
    Can you pull the top of the joint into the engine bay a little? Might be enough flex in the long pipes/hoses.
    How come the middle half of any project always takes the most time?

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    Thanks for the tip Bill, I tried that right off the bat.

Since I was replacing a leaking evaporator, cut the evaporator pipes to remove the double pipe. Now putting things back together and I am obviously missing something here. Not sure if there is some "trick" to fitting the double pipe or I am just being stupid.

Upper part of double pipe in contact with plastic HVAC housing.

How the heck do I get the clearance to insert the lower ends of the double tube into the expansion valve?

Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    First, you will definately want to replace that large o-ring in the last picture - it looks like it has a "pinched" point on it (it will leak!).
    IIRC, the expansion valve needs to be connected to the upper pies first, giving you a bit more "play with the lower pipes.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    Thanks TxGR8White. The pinched O-Ring is an artifact of the flash. I ordered a dozen or so of each O-Ring, just for such an event.

Connecting the upper pipes first has no effect. The doble tube is against the plactic Heater/Ac Housing. I did manage to get this in a few minutes ago by inserting the double tube into the expansion valve first and swinging the top into place.

What prevents you from doing this easily are two Torx screws that pass from the engine bay side though openings in the upper double tube flange.

The Torx screws looked difficult to get to, so I simply removed the side of the opening on the flange.

Thanks for the tips.
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike in CT; 10-11-2010 at 08:03 AM.

My Cars
    91 850i +++
    That's an elegant fix, thanks for the post.
    How come the middle half of any project always takes the most time?

My Cars
    '93 850Ci,'01 X5
    Yeah, BTDT, stripped out the top Torx screw cause I meat headed it out. Hopefully for your sake you won't go through all that hassle and wind up with hell fire air still coming out of your footwells like I still have. Good luck.

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    Didn't touch the the Torx screws.

My Cars
    01 530iT & 05 X5 30d
    Mike,

I know this is a very old thread revision, but you wouldn't still have the photos you had attached to the post about the 2 x torx screws & how you separated the pipe flange? the hosting of these looks to have expired, understandably its an old thread.

I got to that point where I could not remove the pipe from the top side of the TX valve & had to put it all back together.

if you had these photos it may go some way to shedding some light on this.

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    It was actually Photobucket that decided to break the photo links. Many years of photos still reside on photobucket in labeled folders. Not sure if those can be accessed.

Clearance issue.

IMG_0757.jpg

The photos that I believe were inserted above.

Double Tube Install 1.psd.jpg
    Double Tube Install 2.psd.jpg
    Double Tube Install 3 copy.jpg
    Double Tube Install 4.jpg

Might be a better way, but this worked. I wish the AC in my X3 worked as well as the AC in my 840.
    Last edited by Mike in CT; 03-05-2018 at 05:37 PM.

My Cars
    Had a 1991 BMW 850
    Got it all apart after I cut the Evaporator. Looks like it will be fun getting it back together

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    When I did this job, the first brand of evaporator I tried, GPD, did not fit. After I purchased a Rein branded part, reassembly was smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Had a 1991 BMW 850

Reinstall

Quote Originally Posted by rjjablo View Post
    Got it all apart after I cut the Evaporator. Looks like it will be fun getting it back together
    Complete PIA getting it back together.

There is insulation on the inside, tear it out which is what you will do getting it apart

To get enough clearance on the engine side you have to pry out the rubber Grommet that surrounds the two tubes

Unlike Mike I could not get the inner part back in over the two Torx Screw so I just ripped them out. Worked great

Put Square Block onto the evaporator while on the bench

Put evaporator back in, I had to pull the U-Shaped Bracket over by the Airbag

Put top tubes back on top of evaporator you have to get it lined up on the big notch. No Torx Screws goes on easy

Put tubes back in from engine side and tight that Center Bolt

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    Good job on the evaporator - There are a few jobs on this car that I will avoid having to do again, and evaporator replacement is one of them.

My Cars
    Had a 1991 BMW 850

Comparision

Evaporator is easier than the Heater Core

I should have done them both at the same time with the Dash out

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    I’ve done half the job with the heater core. Dash is out, but not reinstalled yet. After dash removal, I spent more time wrestling with the evaporator than the heater core.