Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Pre-2002 E46 Aux Input

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3

Talking DIY: Pre-2002 E46 Aux Input

Firstly, I cannot take credit for making this DIY. I am just throwing it out there for the benefit of everyone, because I searched long and hard trying to find it. The maker of this DIY also outlines a way to make an aux input for 2002+ models, without having to pay for BMW's cable.

Required Parts:
    (1) IDE Hardrive Cable - Runs between a hardrive and the motherboard of a computer, radio-shack sells them for $12 last I checked, I just stole one out of an old computer
    (1) Section of Copper Wire - Needed to create a male connection to the CD player, I found that telephone wire works best, I tried thermostat wire but the copper in it proved to be too thick
    (1) Male or Female Stereo Jack - I ran down to radio-shack and for $3 got myself a Female Stereo Jack that I mounted underneath my armrest. An old Male headphone jack works equally as well, I just liked the ability to unplug it and hide the wire away. More of an OEM look.

I just wanted to make people aware that there is a DIY out there for making an aux input in a pre 2002 E46. You do lose the function of your CD Changer but it is well worth it to gain the ability to use an Ipod with your entire music library. One thing I will note, playing music on your Ipod/ iPhone with this DIY, I leave my volume on the device at about 3/4 of the way up, any higher and the audio distorts. I think this has to do with the voltage of the original CD Changer's signal, it seems that an iPod/ iPhone can provide a signal at a higher voltage than the CD changer did, but by keeping your music device of choice at 3/4 volume, it eliminates the distortion and you have yourself CD quality audio from your MP3 player in your E46.

Ideally if you have the time, take a voltage meter and measure the CD Changer's signal (probably in milivolts?) and then measure and adjust the volume on your iPod to match. I personally didn't do this because it's pretty easy to find that sweet spot by ear. But just throwing it out there.

This DIY was originally a PDF, so if you are having trouble reading this, PM me and I could email you the original PDF file of instructions. If you have any questions send me a PM. This was easily one of the best Mods I have done to my car yet. Have Fun...

Directions

1.) Take your IDE cable and carefully cut both ends so that it only runs five pins wide.

2.) Then take some telephone wire or something similar and strip the wires down to bare copper and cut then into equal 10mm lengths. You will need 10 of them.

3.) Then strip away from your new harness 4 wires that correlate to the correct pins on the back of the radio. Use this picture for reference. Use the pin diagram for the Cd NOT the Aux. Add the ten lengths of copper to the other end of the your new harness.

The green is the Copper in the pic below.

Tip: It may sound silly, but take a sharpie and mark which side is up and which is down on your new wire. It makes it easier to keep things straight when your ready to re-assemble everything.

4.) Solder those wires to the corresponding ones on your male headphone adapter plug. (or female adapter like I used in the pic below)

The Female Adapter I screwed into this little pocket under the armrest.

5.) Then remove your head-unit and carefully pry up on the black harness. I used a small flat head screw driver lined with tape so I wouldn't scratch anything.

6.) Once the harness is off, carefully pry off the blue clip holding the CD changer's wire to the rest of the harness.

7.) Re-attach the black harness to the back of the radio, minus the CD changer's wire.

8.) Attach your new harness to the CD changer's wire. Electrical tape your connection.

9.) Carefully connect the other end of your new wire into the back of the radio. (marked CD in the pic below) Be SURE it is fully seated. I put everything back together before I found this out. Learn from my mistake.

10.) All that's left to do is test your new Aux input by plugging in an iPod or MP3 player (adjust volume to 3/4), switch your head-unit to CD changer, and make sure you have at least one CD in there.

11.) Once everything is working, route your wire behind your head-unit and down to your favorite spot in the cabin.

12.) Carefully push your HU back into place. Being sure not to pinch any wires. Put back the two screws, and push your trim back on.

13.) Then sit back and enjoy your new Aux input.

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible blah blah blah...
    Last edited by 328ci906; 05-09-2011 at 06:23 PM.

2003 ///M3 6spd Jet Black/Cinnamon | BC Racing Coils | VMR VB3's | Coby Wheel |
    (I Loan Valve Adjustment Tools! PM me...)

My Cars
    Dude, I don't even know
    if you really wanted to, couldn't you take the CD wiring and just cut and strip those 4 wires needed therefore bypassing the IDE wire? My changer is broken and I don't use CD's so I won't ever need it.

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3
    I dont see why not, all your doing is tricking your HU into thinking playing your ipod's music rather than the music from a CD player. That said, you do still need a CD in the actual player, for example my CD changer still has one CD in it, it's constantly playing in the background, but instead of it's audio, all you can hear is my iPhone. I just leave the HU's display on the clock and I never see the cd changer running. My little secret ahahaha
    Last edited by 328ci906; 10-06-2010 at 08:19 AM.

My Cars
    Dude, I don't even know
    lol, well damn, I guess that means I have to buy a 6 disk changer. still cheaper than spending 90 bucks on an adaptor

My Cars
    E46, F350
    So does this work with the single CD player? This would be sooo convenient

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveNine View Post
    So does this work with the single CD player? This would be sooo convenient
    I don't think so, because your basically tricking the CD player into playing your iPod music instead of the CD changer. I still have to hit my CD button to tell my HU to play music off the CD changer. I've checked, and it's still running in the trunk the whole time my iPod is playing. I just leave the HU's display on the clock and I never see the CD changer running.

My Cars
    E46, F350
    Bummer, alright well thanks for clearing that up

My Cars
    2000323iwagon/ 02miata

please send pdf onPre 2002 Aux Input DIY

please send the pdf Pre 2002 Aux Input DIY thank you tbonemn@comcast.net

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by tbonemn View Post
    please send the pdf Pre 2002 Aux Input DIY thank you tbonemn@comcast.net
    Just sent it, check your email

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3
    I recently had the LCD display on my radio die. So when I was back there I figured it would be a good idea to show you guys what the actual wire looks like. I also took the opportunity to heat-shrink the connections rather than just electrical tape them. It came out much more professional looking...

Last edited by 328ci906; 10-31-2010 at 11:49 AM.

My Cars
    99 R1100RT
    So... Just to clarify something for myself..

Since my 01 330i (HK sound, DSP, no navigation) does not have factory CD-changer installed (the readiness is there, of course), the only way to make AUX input is to either:

a) Buy a CD changer and do this mod.

or

b) Pay $200+ for a DICE adapter.

Have I understood this correctly? Or is there option c), d) etc.? I'd like to add the AUX for my satellite radio, but finding it really hard to justify spending huge amount of money for that...
    1999 BMW R1100RT
    2005 MC C230K Sport
    2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71
    2010 Chevy Tahoe LT2

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3
    Yea basically, without a CD changer to bypass the system won't work. But you don't have to spend $200+on a Dice. Search the forums, I seem to remember a few simpler alternatives. No fancy text on the HU or steering wheel controls like the dice offers, but my method doesn't have those things either. So if you can live without those features try a different adaptor.

My Cars
    2000 323i
    I wish i would have known about this before buying the DICE silverline.
    "If you cant stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

My Cars
    99 R1100RT
    OK. Thanks for the confirmation. I really would like to keep the steering wheel controls and wouldn't like to go aftermarket, either. I like the OEM look... Damn...

I guess it's time suck up and spend the 200-300 bucks on the Dice unit and be done with it.
    1999 BMW R1100RT
    2005 MC C230K Sport
    2010 Chevy Tahoe LT2

My Cars
    BMW 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by TexFinn View Post
    OK. Thanks for the confirmation. I really would like to keep the steering wheel controls and wouldn't like to go aftermarket, either. I like the OEM look... Damn...

I guess it's time suck up and spend the 200-300 bucks on the Dice unit and be done with it.
    Look at this http://www.gromaudio.com/store/all-bmw.html

This will do everything that DICE does but with your existing HU and for much cheaper

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3
    Yea if you want to keep all your steering wheel controls this mod may not be for you. The volume control still works as normal but the other radio functions do not.

My Cars
    99 R1100RT
    Yeah, I think I'm going to go with the Grom. Much cheaper than the Dice and seems like it works just as well as Dice does.

We'll see...

EDIT: Sent an email to Grom asking about the compatibility and, of course, the DSP stereo needs some additional converter which costs an extra 60 bucks.

Damn this thing is getting ridiculous...
    Last edited by TexFinn; 03-07-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    1999 BMW R1100RT
    2005 MC C230K Sport
    2010 Chevy Tahoe LT2

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3
    Just updated the DIY. I explained each step thoroughly and added some pics, hopefully this will clear up any confusion. Good Luck

My Cars
    BMW M5
    Quick question which is somewhat unrelated to the thread. I just installed th '02 Business CD head-unit into a '99 328 and I can't figure out where the radio plug goes. The '99 has three different wires: 1) the wiring harness, 2) the radio plug, 3) another similar plug. Plugs 1 and 3 fit into the business CD but #2 has no place to fit. How do I fix this?

2003 M5
    GC coilovers (430/380), Eibach sways, 355/345 brembos, 19" BBS RG-Rs (with 265 front, 275 rear PSSs), AA Air Intake/Brake Ducts, Evovle Medusa headers, SS race cats and X-pipe, Intravee, Eurodash, Euro center console, Zionville radiator with 2 stage fan, Powerflex bushings, V1, StealthOne, Laser Interceptor, Turner stud kit, Uniden CB, Uniden 996T scanner, 5000K xenon fogs, 5000K OE DDEs, 5000k Angel Eyes, TFX projectors, illuminated door sills, Leatherique!

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3
    Search for a thread made by Delmarco. You need an adapter in order to plug the antennae into your new HU. He has the p/n's and all other relevant info.

My Cars
    2002 330ci
    This little modification looks great!
    Do you think this can work on a e46 2002 convertible with navigation and CD charger?
    I would really like to hook up an Ipod but do not want to invest in a Dynavin.
    Thanks

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3
    I don't see why not, I haven't tried it myself to be honest though. Try it and report back...

My Cars
    e60
    I don't know how to use the PM.
    Do you still have the PDF version of the DIY? if so could you please email it to michael@blaneydavidson.com?
    Thanks

Actually, do you have skype or msn messenger? There are a few questions I would like to ask you about this DIY concerning my car!
    Last edited by mickle207; 03-01-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i touring

pre 2002 aux input

Do you still have the PDF version of the DIY?
    icould you please email it to 330it2001@gmail.com

thanks

hi everybody
    i have a 330i from 08/2001 with radio tape business BMW and a cd changer
    do the DIY pre 2002 aux input will work for me?

thanks
    Last edited by 330it2001; 04-19-2012 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    I have an 01 325ci without cd changer. it seems like the grom audio changer is the best option for a simple aux ipod touch plug in. I'm not sure if all I have to buy is the grom adapter itself or if i have to pay for another piece that will jack the price up. Also, I am unsure how easy this would be to install. Could I do it myself or would a professional have to? if so, how much would installation cost? thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast