Thread: Any Way to Get Service Info From Dealers About What Previous Owners Have Had Done?

My Cars
    97 740iL, 03 Infin QX4

Question Any Way to Get Service Info From Dealers About What Previous Owners Have Had Done?

I haven't seen any info posted on this...Hope someone can answer.

I called the semi-local BMW dealer and asked about getting service records from previous owners. According to the service writer he can't give any personal repair records out since it's considered private information.

I was able to contact one previous owner since an old insurance form was in the glovebox but they didn't have anything laying around anymore.

Is there a website that would have this info? (Highly doubting it...But it doesn't hurt to suggest)

Just hoping to learn what has been done on this car...

On a side note, the dealer I bought this from gave me a work invoice he had completed on it. Some details from it include:

Customer states engine is leaking oil. Seems to be coming from back of intake and tube seems loose that runs inside intake.

Profile gaskets
    Cover
    Cap with seal
    Rubber seal
    Vent pipe
    O rings
    Gasket (asbestos free)
    Screw
    Hose clamp

Oil separation failure causing high crankcase pressure.
    Intake manifold gaskets leaking, leaking coolant, valve cover gaskets leaking. Recommend replacing to fix. Per Customer: replaced oil separator, re-sealed comp intake manifold, re-sealed both valve covers.
    The total came to about $1500 at a BMW garage.

Can some tell me what that means in simpler terms?? Thanks!
    Last edited by coledog188; 10-05-2010 at 08:36 PM.

My Cars
    2001 740il
    They don't generally give out that info but in my case, I had all of the paperwork with me. however, if you go into the dealership and ask, they can tell you in person but just not print anything out.

Others have stated they have no issue getting this info, all a matter of the dealerships preference. If all fails, call up another dealer.

My Cars
    97 740iL, 03 Infin QX4
    I'll try the Syracuse BMW dealer tomorrow...See if he is a bit more helpful.
    The Utica dealer told me that the coolant cap on the back of the engine was corroding and it'd be a $1000 job...Was only a $17 hose. I'll have to avoid them.

My Cars
    01 750iL
    I had the PO sign a general release for all info on the vehicle.... I faxed that to the previous service places (one dealer and 2 or 3 indys) and they sent me what they had... the dealer was the least helpful..... I got some printouts with one line of code and occasionally a comment... they said they purged all their old files and that was all they had...

Richard
    WTB: Dinan Spring set, for the 750iL

You work hard, discover that success is not a destination but rather a road you travel upon- mostly up hill. Then, after a while, people going down the other road look up at you, and they call you "lucky."

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Try calling open road BMW in Morristown NJ, they are usually more open.

My Cars
    97 740iL, 03 Infin QX4
    Sounds good! Thanks!

Anyone have any...simpler meaning as to what the service that was done is?

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    I think service records are still localized by servicing dealer.

Meaning not in a big database somewhere.

Factory recalls are in BMWs master DB tho.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    2001 740i
    I had the PO name and went into the dealership that it was purchased from. They were nice enough to print out all of the service records but tore off the corner of the sheets with personal information.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by coledog188 View Post
    Can some tell me what that means in simpler terms?? Thanks!
    I don't know if I can explain it in simpler terms (it can't get much simpler since they explain exactly what they did).

... the dealer I bought this from gave me a work invoice he had completed on it. Some details from it include:

Customer states engine is leaking oil. Seems to be coming from back of intake and tube seems loose that runs inside intake.
    • Profile gaskets
    • Cover
    • Cap with seal
    • Rubber seal
    • Vent pipe
    • O rings
    • Gasket (asbestos free)
    • Screw
    • Hose clamp
    It starts with what the customer's complaint was. Then they list the items that were used when they did the work that was done on the car. (Were there prices somewhere near this info that would reveal how much the dealership charged for these parts?)

1. ...Oil separation failure causing high crankcase pressure.
    Intake manifold gaskets leaking, leaking coolant, valve cover gaskets leaking. Recommend replacing to fix.

2. Per Customer: replaced oil separator, re-sealed comp intake manifold, re-sealed both valve covers.
    The total came to about $1500 at a BMW garage.
    1. this is what the mechanic discovered after inspecting the car:
    • OSV failure (much discussed topic...search using "OSV" to find other threads about what others have gone thru with this common malady)
    • leaking intake & valve gaskets

2. Customer was told what the problems were and agreed to have the work done...and the dealership lists what was done:
    • replaced the OSV
    • replaced the intake manifold and both of the valve cover gaskets (refer back to the parts list that was given in the other part of the quote)
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    740il
    I've been through this -- it's true that service info isn't in a big db in the sky-- it's localized to the dealer(s) that have serviced the car. So if you don't know where the car was serviced, then you're shooting in the dark. If you DO know the servicing dealer, then you've got a 50/50 chance of getting that info. Some won't give it to you due to 'privacy concerns', while others will remove the previous owner's info and happily print out everything they have.

In my case, I know my car was purchased and serviced at BMW of Dallas, per the Carfax. With proper information in hand, I popped into the Service Dept to see if I could get a printout... no dice. According to them, they've never serviced or sold the car... yeah right.

Good luck!

My Cars
    97 740iL, 03 Infin QX4
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    I don't know if I can explain it in simpler terms (it can't get much simpler since they explain exactly what they did).

It starts with what the customer's complaint was. Then they list the items that were used when they did the work that was done on the car. (Were there prices somewhere near this info that would reveal how much the dealership charged for these parts?)

1. this is what the mechanic discovered after inspecting the car:
    • OSV failure (much discussed topic...search using "OSV" to find other threads about what others have gone thru with this common malady)
    • leaking intake & valve gaskets

2. Customer was told what the problems were and agreed to have the work done...and the dealership lists what was done:
    • replaced the OSV
    • replaced the intake manifold and both of the valve cover gaskets (refer back to the parts list that was given in the other part of the quote)

Thanks! So having that done before I purchased it would be good for me correct? Won't have to do it again for a while I assume.

I was hoping it'd mean the valve cover gaskets and intake manifold...OSV looked simple enough to do myself if need be.

My Cars
    93 525iT,91 318i
    I've had repair places tell me they won't give out repair histories because they are afraid of the liability. So, if I have a problem with something they've already repaired, they are happy to sell me a new repair, but are unwilling to accept any responsibility for what they've done in the past.

My Cars
    97 740iL, 03 Infin QX4
    Unfortunately all these dealerships purge their records if the work was done outside 3 years ago...I'm waiting for a call back from the Syracuse dealer where I know work has been done recently.

The car was originally purchased from Prestige BMW in NJ, least I know that much!

My Cars
    01 750iL
    so there is another way.... it's a bit less honest... but it does work 99.9% of the time....

If you just bought a car and have the PO's name you can call the dealer claiming to be the PO... tell them you have moved and would like your records faxed to you.... this will work if you don't call the dealer before hand as the new owner....

Richard
    WTB: Dinan Spring set, for the 750iL

You work hard, discover that success is not a destination but rather a road you travel upon- mostly up hill. Then, after a while, people going down the other road look up at you, and they call you "lucky."