Thread: E38 740iL engine replacement questions

My Cars
    2005 M3

E38 740iL engine replacement questions

I have a buddy who recently bought a 130K mi. 740il. He has just found out that the motor is trash and that it will more than likely need a rebuild or replacement.

Has anyone here gone through this process before? What vendors were used? Bavarian Exchange? Korman?

Please advise.

My Cars
    Toyota Sequoia
    An independant shop like VAC in Philly or Terry Sayther in Austin, TX can locate a used M62, source the right ECU and do an install.
    The problem is if you expect full warranties like the one on a Bavarian Exchange or Dealer/BMW fully re-manufactured unit.
    If you want full warranty then you should seek a dealership. If you believe that the motor will run as-is so long as it is not a Nikasil and it is reasonably good condition, you can save some cash with a used motor from an indy shop.
    Simeon

My Cars
    Multiple vintage BMW's...
    What year is the car?

My Cars
    2005 M3
    My buddy's car is a 97 E38 with 133K. He contacted Korman with no luck. He's looking into Bavarian Exchange as well as some other shops here in Atlanta.

My Cars
    Yes
    In case your buddy hasn't already tried these shops:

Performing Imports (Roswell) - (770) 641-6202
    http://www.performingimports.com
    Ask for Ron (he drives a Dinan 7er)

Strictly German (Braselton) - (706) 654-9103
    http://www.strictly-german.com

Vines Automotive (big BMW salvage yard in Alabama)
    http://www.vinesauto.com

My Cars
    Multiple vintage BMW's...
    It would be interesting to know why the engine is "trash" after so few miles. Since it is a '97, this is not a Nikosil vs. Alusil issue... If this is a rebuild, I agree with Simeon. If the engine truly is "trashed", I would consider finding a used engine at a salvage yard. This might be a more cost effective solution.

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Thanks Mr. Burdell- actually it was Ron at Performing Imports that gave the diagnosis.

Currently, he's exploring all possibilites. I have had good results with Strictly German as well with regard to replacement wheels.

My own opinon is that he should swap in a V-12 from a wrecked 850IL, but then again we don't live in fantasyland.........but wouldn't it be cool?

Again, thank you for your support and suggestions. We let you know how things are going.

My Cars
    1997 740i, 1973 Bronco, 1996 Bronco

1997 740i

Thanks guys for all the input.

We dropped the oil pan and noticed scoring on the cylinder walls.
    Performing Imports inspected the car before I bought and did not do a leak down test. "We do not do leak down tests here"????
    Found this out after purchase.

Shortly after purchase notice metal shavings, dropped oil pan, checked out bolts, trash, checked cylinder walls from below looked good. Went ahead and replaced oil pump for insurance.

After oil pump replacement noticed rough idle, replaced spark plugs and noticed slight smoke coming from exhaust. Immediately, had it towed to Performing Imports. They called back 2 days later and said "your cars fine". Informed them to check again "open oil filter and look at obvious metal shavings". PI called back and said motor is "trashed". They had pulled oil pan and now showed scoring in bottom of cylinder walls (not there before, although metal flakes were previously present). Through talking with shop, realized they just had it idle for 20 minutes and stated hey its "OK". Then after second call he let idle for over an hour and now it was smoking.

Also now noticing possible coolant in oil.

Anyway options investigated:

Bavarian appears to have the best option on performance (20%) and warranty (5yr). Unfortunately, no one seems to have purchased or is able to give input on dealings with Bavarian Engine. Website and salesmen sound good, but basic rebuilt engine is just under $7 and performance option just under $8.
    Not cheap!

A short block replacement from BMW runs around $6000, with out a new crank. This option does not appear viable due to fact the engine might have more damage in lower end?

Korman offers nothing on V8's. Disappointing, we have heard good things from them.

Used engines for this model run around $6,000 according to Harrison and Bimmer South. Unfortunately there are no engines available through these companies at this time. I would also pay a couple of grand for a warranty.

We found some 200_ engines with low miles but they are dual Vanos and we would need to replace ECU and allot of other items for replacement.

Just e-mailed Hamann for other possible options..

Long story but maybe we can get through it with a good ending..

My Cars
    2005 X5 4.4is
    With a name like Loser you just can't go wrong!

Actually Loser is a friend of mine and I have been on this adventure with him. We can do the work ourselves and we are only worried about sourcing an engine that hopefully won't give up the ghost.

Giving the L man a bump!

My Cars
    Thanks Zeit00..

We have done allot of work on both cars(e38, e36) and these forums have really helped with the info. www.e38.org has some great info for the e38 enthusiast. The valve cover replacement and oil pump info was dead on. Definitely check out the oil pump bolts, mine were not bad but 2 were finger tight.

Update:

Vines Auto Inc. Specializing in New and Used Bmw Parts quoted $3200 for short block (Lower) and $6000 for rebuilt long block (heads, etc) with a warranty of 1 yr. Both have $500 core charge.

Still looking like Bavarian has the best deal with warranty.

Has anyone had any dealings with Bavarian Engine???

http://www.bavengine.com/

My Cars
    more space pls kthx.
    Buy a used one, I just did a check, Vines has a reman short block for $3,200.. I'd keep looking and calling around.

See, it sounds like your engine got hot, so I'd go with a long block.

I think $3K will buy used a used M62
    RIP Motorsport Recycling! Long Live //MSR Performance.
    wiseguy@motorsportrecycling.com

My Cars
    Yes, I agree.

Long block is the safest action or full replacement.
    Long blocks run around $6000.

A complete rebuilt Bavarian motor receives new replacement parts including, runs Sealed Power piston rings, rod bearings, main bearings, timing chain & guide rails or timing belt & tensioner, oil pump, gaskets & seals, freeze plugs, silica bronze valve guides, new rocker arms, camshaft, valve seats, and sleeved.

Bavarian:
    740i, il 96-98 MaxSil™, DuraLiner Tefcote™ $7,236 for regular rebuild and $7,875 for performance

This is more expensive but it does completely built, shipped to TDC, and warrantee for 5yrs. Not to mention, I have not found a manual for all torque specs yet. Bentley is supposed to come out with a manual for the 740 next year some time. (On the waiting list). We are going to install this ourselves to reduce cost, so assembled is a good thing.

makinging some more attempts to find a Used engine...

Going to searching for all options..

Thanks Again Wiseguy!

My Cars
    Yes, I agree.

Long block is the safest action or full replacement.
    Long blocks run around $6000.

A complete rebuilt Bavarian motor receives new replacement parts including, runs Sealed Power piston rings, rod bearings, main bearings, timing chain & guide rails or timing belt & tensioner, oil pump, gaskets & seals, freeze plugs, silica bronze valve guides, new rocker arms, camshaft, valve seats, and sleeved.

Bavarian:
    740i, il 96-98 MaxSil™, DuraLiner Tefcote™ $7,236 for regular rebuild and $7,875 for performance

This is more expensive but it does completely built, shipped to TDC, and warrantee for 5yrs. Not to mention, I have not found a manual for all torque specs yet. Bentley is supposed to come out with a manual for the 740 next year some time. (On the waiting list). We are going to install this ourselves to reduce cost, so assembled is a good thing.

makinging some more attempts to find a Used engine...

Going to searching for all options..

Thanks Again Wiseguy!

My Cars
    BMW's
    We purchased and installed a Bavarien Motor, and overall was very impressed.

1997 BMW 740IL

We did encounter two problems;

1. after extended periods of driving, the oil pressure light would come on. After inspecting Oil level and Pump, found that the sensor was bad. This part was off of the old engine

2. Took almost 2 months to receive the core refund. I was repeatedly told by the owner that this normally doesn't happen.

The vehicle had almost 100,000 miles on it, and now has well over 105,000 and still running strong!

My Cars
    Thanks so much, this is what we were looking for.

Was this a full rebuilt motor\factory or performance?

so you have 5,000 miles on the engine..

thank you jmprecisionauto!!!

My Cars
    more space pls kthx.
    Personally...

If I were to install a reman engine I'd rather see it sleeved, but that's just me.

I'd say to keep looking for a used long block
    RIP Motorsport Recycling! Long Live //MSR Performance.
    wiseguy@motorsportrecycling.com

My Cars
    Bavarian engines for the e38 are sleeved..

Check out the link to the web site.

www.bavengine.com

My Cars
    BMW's
    Originally posted by Loser
    Thanks so much, this is what we were looking for.

Was this a full rebuilt motor\factory or performance?

so you have 5,000 miles on the engine..

thank you jmprecisionauto!!!

Glad I could help! Let me know if you have any more questions about the conversion.

Good luck with the transplant!

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745Li
    talk about premature wear- id take the car down to the local used auto lot and do a trade in (dont forget to pull the bulbs for the ses light )