Thread: steering wheel tilt

My Cars
    M3R6

Question steering wheel tilt

how do I tilt my steering wheel?!?!?! Got a 95 M3

Thanks people!
    Alan
    1995 BMW ///M3 - current
    2001 Yamaha R6 CLE #74 - Wrecked due to CAGERS!
    1993 Honda CBR F2 600 - Project bike - SOLD!
    2004 - Honda CBR 1000rr - current

My Cars
    Lots
    *IF* you have tilt wheel, there will be a lever running longitudinally under the steering column at about knee level. Pull it away from the steering column and this will release the friction retaining action on the column allowing the entire column to swivel. Position to taste and push the lever back up against the steering column.

My Cars
    M5, E61
    I've been known to be wrong a lot....but an M3 or any E36 does not have or did it ever have tilt steering.

Never mind telescoping.

The first introduction of this was on the 95 7 series I think...then all the subsequent model changes followed suit - 97 5 series 99 3 series

I don't know about the e31.

My Cars
    M3R6

Thumbs up to: jsp98m3

how did you do your angel eyes?!?!?!?!?!?!? How much did they cost?

thanks,
    Alan
    1995 BMW ///M3 - current
    2001 Yamaha R6 CLE #74 - Wrecked due to CAGERS!
    1993 Honda CBR F2 600 - Project bike - SOLD!
    2004 - Honda CBR 1000rr - current

My Cars
    Lots
    I think '95 and maybe 96 had tilt wheel. My '84 633CSi had telescoping steering but no tilt. I retrofitted tilt wheel into my '98 M3 using factory parts.

http://www.apexcone.com/tiltwheel/tiltwheel.htm

I did the Angel Eyes like this:

http://www.apexcone.com/Lighting/Ang...AngelEyes.html

it will cost you anywhere from $50 to about $1000. Depends on how good you are at scrounging parts or dickering with your parts counterman. Cheapest prices I've been quoted on new lights is $192 each. Doing this mod requires 2 donor lights. Other parts add up to about $50.

I've heard that the tilt install is a real PITA. Is that true?

My Cars
    Lots
    Yes. It took HOURS and HOURs and the benefit is fairly small. I wouldn't do it again. I only kept at it because i'm a stubborn SOB.

lol!

You? Stubborn?

Actually, since I have the problem of short arms, it's really telescoping rather than tilt that would help me, so it's definitely not worth my time.

Thanks for affirming the warning against doing it!

(You know, Amsoil cures everything... j/k )

Originally posted by jsp98m3
    Yes. It took HOURS and HOURs and the benefit is fairly small. I wouldn't do it again. I only kept at it because i'm a stubborn SOB.

it was only early production 95s M3s that had tilt wheel, supposedly. As the legend goes it was removed for crash safety reasons.

I've been planning on designing a fixed spacer to push the wheel forward for less reach. haven't gotten around to it yet.

My Cars
    2005 M3
    I don't think any M3s had the tilt steering wheel. I have one of those early production models and I don't have it. I think the 92-94 E36's had it though.
    James
    2005 Imola Red M3 - VF Stage I Supercharged Street/Track Car
    E46 M3 VF Engineering Stage I Supercharger DIY

I've sat in several and adjusted the tilt wheel... consensus on various email digests is that it was standard equipment in early 1995 M3s.

My Cars
    1996 328i Sport, 1994 Suburban 4x4, 1985 ITA MR2
    mine tilts. (production date 9/94) It doesn't have that great of a range of motion though so you guys aren't missing much

My Cars
    M5, E61
    Originally posted by pimpm3
    mine tilts. (production date 9/94) It doesn't have that great of a range of motion though so you guys aren't missing much
    yeah...it's funny...since I got the M, I position my wife's 7 series wheel at exactly the same position as the M. So, what's the point of the tilt.

BMW must have thought this was a good driving position. It seems to be good.

I bet yours, Jim Powell, is set at the same place where the old wheel used to be.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I have a later production M and it doesn't tilt. But if it could, I would adjust down. It seemed to be awkward at first, pointing so high up, but now Im just use to it.

My Cars
    Lots
    Actually mine is set about 3/8" lower than stock. My view of the instrument cluster was blocked just a bit by the wheel.

It get's back to that perfectionist thing. I wanted the seat lower to make room for my helmet and then the wheel had to be lower.

My Cars
    2003 Mitsu Lancer Evo VIII, 2005 Chevy Z51 C6
    You should have seen the expression on the sales guy's face when I asked him "where's the tilt?" After a few minutes of fumbling around the steering wheel, he said, "well, ya see, there is no tilt steering in the M3 because it's more of a race car type." It doesn't matter to me, the steering wheel's in the perfect position for me. Normally when I have tilt steering I fix it once, the first time I ever sit in it, and never mess with it again.
    Rel
    1999 Titanium Silver ///M3 (SOLD)
    Conforti Intake, Shark Injector, AA Gen 3 Exhaust, AA Track Pipe, Koni SAs, H&R OE Sports, TC Kline RSMs, X-Brace, UUC TMEs, ZKWs w/HID, DDE Gen IV, Clears, NIKEN pedals, Pioneer DEH-P7000, Valentine One

2003 Tarmac Black Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
    Borla cat-back, AEM SRI, GReddy TT, Sony CDX-CA810X

2005 Lemans Blue Chevrolet Z51 Corvette

My Cars
    Estoril M3 Coupe
    HA! HA!

I asked my sales guy how to adjust the wheel. He f'd around withthe steering column for a minute, then began to try to pry out the metal bar that replaces the tilt-lever. I thought he was going to break something on the car I wanted, and told him not to worry about it. Then he told me the this was the kind of car 'you adjust into.'

I heard that it cost about 400 to have done. Ill do it one day, but now my $$ is wrapped up in performance.

My Cars
    M5, E61
    Originally posted by Rel44 M3
    You should have seen the expression on the sales guy's face when I asked him "where's the tilt?" After a few minutes of fumbling around the steering wheel, he said, "well, ya see, there is no tilt steering in the M3 because it's more of a race car type." It doesn't matter to me, the steering wheel's in the perfect position for me. Normally when I have tilt steering I fix it once, the first time I ever sit in it, and never mess with it again.
    I did that for fun at least three different times when I got my M...the look on their faces when they realize that it actually doesn't have it...it's PRICELESS!

Also, the look gets better when you tell them that you only want an M3 that tilts...

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Just imagining it is FUNNY!

My Cars
    85 325e, 95 M3

Mine has it!

95///M3 production date 4/94 Hooray!!! its great I think you all should install it!!

Never really use it, but maybe I'll pay more attention to it since I'm going on a week-long drive into some big open country.

Hank
    :book:

P.S. I need a wireless modem laptop I'll miss you Guys!!