RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 04 325i E46 cluster warning lights on when ignition is off!?

My Cars
    BMW's

04 325i E46 cluster warning lights on when ignition is off!?

Hello all. I have a 04 BMW 325i E46. Just today I went out to the car, started it and noticed the clock was set to --:-- and the cruise control and red brake light came on automatically. Started driving and noted the speedo not moving. Then suddenly it bolted up to speed and stopped itself at about 40. only goes down when car stopped for 5 seconds and it shoots down to zero. Then, when I turn the ignition off and take out the key, the whole cluster goes crazy. The rear brake bulb indicators come on, the trac light, battery light, oil light all stay on after turned off. And, the headlight running lights stay on as well. Whats going on? Tested the battery and when running I'm getting 17V to the battery. Could my voltage regulator be delivering too many volts and overloading the car? Thanks for reading my short story guys. Any help appreciated! Craig

My Cars
    87 325is
    A system voltage of 17 when the engine is running is way too high and indicates a bad voltage regulator in the alternator. But the lights being on when the key is off tends to point to a bad ignition switch.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    BMW's

alternator at 14 volts now, still problem

Hi guys, found an old origional battery, replaced battery. Alternator is putting out 14V, the volt meter I was using has a virtually dead battery and may have been giving me bad readings, replaced that too. So, I still have the problem. Car drives and runs fine, when driving no lights are on and all is well. When I turn off the ignition and remove the key all hell breaks loose. It's turning on the running headlights, the brake lights all light up, the trac light, alternator, oil, rear lamp failure lights on both sides, the trans gear light, cruise control indicator on the cluster all come on and stay on. I'm getting desperate. Thanks all, Craig

My Cars
    2004 325i
    have the same problem here . been searching forever in countless forums . any solution as to what caused this car to seem posessed . have to keep disconecting the battery untill my local bmw tech looks at it

My Cars
    2000 M COUPE
    Most likely cluster is n/g, not a uncommon problem. Sometimes also keeps engine running.

My Cars
    2004 325i
    gotta love people who post up requests for help but dont give the answer when they get their car fixed . the purpose of forums is to help each other . so if nobody can help you , then you should post the solution that caused you to make your post . you then may save people days of stress when they finally find a post that matches their exact problem or problems

My Cars
    2004 325i
    Had to pay a local tech to check my Ignition , LCM , Cluster , Relays , ect. , ect. !!! My tech said the only thing he found was a circuit in the Cluster causing the malfunction . That circuit controls the memory function of the Cluster and some OBD functions . He pulled fuse#43 which where the short was traced to , fuse was still good . He told me the car would run and drive normally but wouldnt keep memory for the Cluster , he also said that I might consider changing the Cluster if I dont like driving my car like that . A reflashed used cluster would be 350 and would have no dot tamper warning light or just buy a used one from a junk yard and drive with a tamper light .

Had to keep disconecting the battery before I had him check out my car . Hated the fact that i might short something else out with the surge of power that happened when i put the negative cable back on . All the acessory power , front lights , rear lights , ect. , ect. wow could have gotten more costly . Was able to drive without the fuse for a couple days , car turned off and on normally .

Yesterday i put fuse#43 back in and to my surprise everything worked like nothing ever happened . My car kept all memory of average fuel , average mph , ect. , ect. . The Cluster didnt have any lights on when i shut off the car . I asked my tech and he said the short circuit could have been humidity related . He said to carefully use a air dust can and air out the cluster if it happened again . Be sure that you take out the fuse if this ever happens to you guys out there and then wait a week or more before you put it back in .

I hope this helps others out there so they dont have to pay for answers that we can all share with each other .
    Last edited by EDDIE908; 03-16-2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330d (E46)
    EDDIE908 - great post, thank you! I've just had the exact same problem. Didn't think I'd ever find a thread...For me, alarm went off for some reason, then found when I switch off, warning lights/temp. gauge and rear lights go nuts! But it drives fine...? Thing is I left a whole bag of wet hockey keeper kit in it ovenight.....could well be a humidity issue!! Will try pulling fuse#43 and update the thread for future users. Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

......pulled it - all sorted. Central locking/key now works, all error lights gone. Nice work!

My Cars
    2004 325i Coupe, 2005 X3

04 E46 cluster warning lights on when ignition is off?

Extremely gratefully to EDDIE908. I had the same problem with the cluster lights activating with the ignition off but also included the brake lights remaining on as well. Due to extreme temperature changes and heavy rain there was a moisture build-up. I removed the 5amp fuse in the #43 socket and was able to drive again. Of course as you stated, the memory would hold time or mileage efficiency info. As suggested I waited about 5 days and plugged in the original fuse and everything came back to normal function. Thanks to EDDIE908 for the outstanding info.

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE908 View Post
    Had to pay a local tech to check my Ignition , LCM , Cluster , Relays , ect. , ect. !!! My tech said the only thing he found was a circuit in the Cluster causing the malfunction . That circuit controls the memory function of the Cluster and some OBD functions . He pulled fuse#43 which where the short was traced to , fuse was still good . He told me the car would run and drive normally but wouldnt keep memory for the Cluster , he also said that I might consider changing the Cluster if I dont like driving my car like that . A reflashed used cluster would be 350 and would have no dot tamper warning light or just buy a used one from a junk yard and drive with a tamper light .

Had to keep disconecting the battery before I had him check out my car . Hated the fact that i might short something else out with the surge of power that happened when i put the negative cable back on . All the acessory power , front lights , rear lights , ect. , ect. wow could have gotten more costly . Was able to drive without the fuse for a couple days , car turned off and on normally .

Yesterday i put fuse#43 back in and to my surprise everything worked like nothing ever happened . My car kept all memory of average fuel , average mph , ect. , ect. . The Cluster didnt have any lights on when i shut off the car . I asked my tech and he said the short circuit could have been humidity related . He said to carefully use a air dust can and air out the cluster if it happened again . Be sure that you take out the fuse if this ever happens to you guys out there and then wait a week or more before you put it back in .

I hope this helps others out there so they dont have to pay for answers that we can all share with each other .

My Cars
    330d 2004
    Got exactly the same problem here. Car been standing inside cold garage all winter and took it out for a spin today. Problem occured when car was parked and all the lights just came on. Going to try to pull the fuse #43

Coming back with info

My Cars
    BMW 325CI
    Great info guys thank you. I was having the same problems with the dashboard lights and the brake lights coming on after removing the key... i checked the fuse box.. it appeared humid so i used a hair dryer.. i also noticed somehow water got into the passenger side of the car after a few days of rain which could have the the cause of the problem.. i disconnected the battery so i would not die over night. the next morning i connected the battery and the problem was gone.. it appears it was just humidity in the electrical components.. luckily i didnt take it to the mechanic.. 120 diagnosis thank youEddie ans SPNP

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i
    Wow Thank You! Same issue here. Fuse 43 fixed it! Still way too much rain here in Florida to let things dry out, but I bet it will be just fine when it dries up! Saved me a diagnosis fee as well! Thank you!

My Cars
    E46 330CI, E46 318CI
    Hi all,
    I am new to the forum and was simply looking for this issue. I found this thread today after I solved the issue but I was not confident about the methods. Seeing this thread was a pleasant confirmation.
    I just wanted to let anyone know that I was having the same issue and it was solved after removing fuse 43, charging the battery (original BMW) overnight, and simply putting back all together the next morning. (Side note: in my case the LCM has been doing crazy stuff like turning on the hazard lights or not detecting the sun light. All solved now too)

As someone has mentioned, the key factor here, at least for me, has been the freezing weather now in Madrid, Spain. And my 330cisleeps on the street unfortunately. The water in the air condenses/freezes overnight I guess. And that moisture then ruins the circuits when is melting. Being a coupe is even worse for the moisture entry I supose.

Another factor is that I am not driving it that frequently lately. So everything gets less ventilation, less warming air, etc.

So in conclusion: we need more driving and warm temperatures for our little-old-cute beasts.

Cheers to all!