Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: BMW E39 iDrive Project

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i

BMW E39 iDrive Project

After seeing the new (2009) iDrive system, I freakin loved it. I decided to go ahead and try to make it for the E39, and apply some of my own taste to it as well.

First attempt was to use a prebuilt Windows CE device, which looks liked like this after 2-Days of work.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTFYKq5HNf8[/ame]

After two days of work, I ran into several problems with these weak devices.
    1. Low storage: After all the GPS Maps are installed there is only 20MBs of space left. Which leaves me with very little room to work with.
    2. No HDD Support: Which means other then read/controlling iPods and CD Player it will not be able to store music of it's own.
    3. Weak CPU: Transparencies are not supported by WinCE, though it can be done with a few CPU intensive tricks. Making everything lag. This means all animations and effects have to be "pre-rendered" using lots of images, which leads me to the next problem.
    4. Low Memory: With only 6MBs of memory 3.4 of which is used by Windows, I was unable to load all the animations into the memory at once. Which means images have to be swapped out, which means every time you push something you get a 1 seconds lag, and what does that remind us of? Generation 1 iDrive? Yeah... Interestingly enough it was also built on WinCE.
    5. Wrong Aspect: This device has a 16:9inch screen. I worked out that BMW uses a 8:3 screen.

Next idea.
    I discovered a few Linux Flavors that are specially built to load in 4-8 seconds even on slow devices, such as a 1.6ghz Atom w/ a 9400M GPU. I think I will add 512mbs of ram and a 40gig hard drive also.

I couldn't find a LCD controller that would work with the BMW 8.8in LCD, and I couldn't find a direct replacment that was the same 8:3 aspect. After some trigonometry I discovered 2 screen that could work. First is a 10.4" 4:3 which I would then utilize half the screen and hide the other half, but trying to hide 3-4" would be too tricky. The next option is a 10.1inch 16:9 screen, which would be 0.4" inches wider then BMWs screen, and I would only have to hide 1.6in of the screen to make it the same aspect.

Finally I have to design the layout in the car.

This would use a E38 air duct, which is shorter and wider then the E39s, if I'm correct, it is the same width as the E39s radio. The E39 head unit would then be replaced with something similar to the F10s radio, but would be nothing more then an DVD-Rom drive and some buttons for the linux machine.

Finally, the screen would be mounted where the old air ducts used to be. Then use an arch to go over it. I was trying to make the arch compliment the cluster panel's arch, but I failed in photoshop. Then the knob for the iDrive system would be place to the right of the shifter.

If anybody has a better suggestion for a layout, I would love to see it.

UPDATES- I noticed this thread was getting pretty long, especially for people who are new to it, or who are not following along. Here are some quick links to the major updates, concepts, or milestones during the project. Just click on the number to see the post.

#1 Showing off a remake of the iDrive screenshots. To produce a very clean picture when shown on the E39 iDrive replica.
    #2 Some Touch Screen concepts by CCFJ1. These show the ideas of a quick music menu and the navigation screen.
    #3 An example of Hill Mapping. Just a quick exaggerated concept, probably won't get used.
    #4 An idea of the iDrive screen if shown at night to reduce the amount of light and reduce night blindness.
    #5 Starting to design the controller. Here is the basic shape fully designed in a CAD program. Just need to bring it to life.
    Last edited by Xeniczone; 01-23-2011 at 05:36 AM.

My Cars
    e39
    Beautiful well done.

I have been thinking of developing my own unit too since it is a pain to deal with the products that are in the market at the moment.
    As for the screen on the dash, I like yours, but I think from an end product prospective, it will be very difficult to install.

When I was thinking out loud about such product design, I pretty much ended up deciding having a retractable screen sitting on the dash, like the Z4 etc. It will be easier to install I think. Nevermind the small GPS screen on the side here...

If you need some help I can help. Keep us updated.

I forgot, you need this as well :-) The 3d mouse, beautiful product.

Last edited by fooljam; 09-28-2010 at 04:01 AM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by fooljam View Post
    I have been thinking of developing my own unit too since it is a pain to deal with the products that are in the market at the moment.
    Well my reasoning was, BMWs Nav system is WAY out of date, especially for the costs, and the alternatives look like crap. Not only from a hardware perspective, but from a software perspective. They look messy, cheap chinese-ish. Unless that is what you ment by pain.

As for the screen on the dash, I like yours, but I think from an end product prospective, it will be very difficult to install.

When I was thinking out loud about such product design, I pretty much ended up deciding having a retractable screen sitting on the dash, like the Z4 etc. It will be easier to install I think. Nevermind the small GPS screen on the side here...
    I agree with you. If this was to become an end product (which is very far of into the future) The layout would have to change simply because it can't be mass produced. All the parts (as I plan) are off the shelf and can eaisly be purchased into one bundle, along with selling the software with it, but stuff like the E38 air duct can't be mass produced, they can only be bought used.

The other option is similar to the E83? 1-series which has a screen just like the Z4 there, but it doesn't move.

If you need some help I can help. Keep us updated.
    I'm planning on using basic, since it is my most skilled programming language, I'm very sketchy about C. O, and will do.

I forgot, you need this as well :-) The 3d mouse, beautiful product.
    :O Is that the same as BMWs system? Up, Down, Left, Right, Rotate Left, Rotate Right, Push button? If it is... That is beautiful.

The reason I came back so early... I forgot to mention. Any ideas for what each thing on the iDrive should do? They are as followed...
    • CD/Media
    • Radio
    • Telephone
    • Navigation
    • Contacts
    • BMW Assist
    • Vehicle Info
    • Settings

Almost all of them are obvious except BMW Assist and Vehicle Info. For BMW Assist I was thinking of making it into a small library of repair manuel for the BMW, if something breaks on the side of the road, you will have the repair manuel built into your car. Vehicle info is a little harder, since I can't really tap into the cars OBC. I think thinking or ripping info from the GPS, such as speed, alt, etc..., and also record it. Like have an option called "Recent Speed" So if some dick head cop pulls you over saying you where going 55 in a 30, you can pull up your "Recent Speed" and say, "Well according to my car I was only going 35. <- That has actually happened to me, but of course I didn't have evidence such as my car recording my speed so it was my word against his. Except he said I was going 34 in a 25.

My Cars
    2010 e92 335i M-Sport
    Nice thread mate, I like the work you have done so far on the menus and skin.

This should be do-able on the e46 as well (as they share an i-bus).

The OBD should be available via an i-bus interface and i-bus commands.

PDC, MFSW control and trip computer should also work with an i-bus interface.

So seat, mirror, CC AC, sunroof and window setup should all work too.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    That does sound like a good idea. I don't know about any of you, but my memory seats don't work worth crap. Would be cool to have the 'iDrive' system control the memory seats which can be saved onto the hard drive. I don't know exactly if you would want the iDrive system to control everything though, because then it would just become annoying to scroll through all that useless crap. (eg. using iDrive to roll down the windows)

Though it would be interesting to put a built in "Check Engine Light Decoder/Reset" So you can read the check engine light, then use BMW assist to find the solution, then use iDrive to reset the light.

I'm not sure about E46 sizing, I would image the E46 would need a 16:9 7" screen because the center console isn't as wide. (wouldn't line up nicely)

Here are some development notes:
    I'm currently trying to decide wether to use Linux/WinCE/WinXPEmbedded. All have advantages and disadvantages. Here is what I have figured out for each system.

Linux:
    DVD Decoder (not built into systems framework)
    Text to Speech (for GPS)
    Video Capture (Night Vision/Rear View Camera)

WinCE:
    Cost Money Per License (I think it is 5 dollars per license, need to make some phone calls though)
    CD/DVD support
    ID3 tags (MP3) Support
    USB support? (I don't think WinCE supports USB) (USB isn't really required, I prefer Thumbdrives over MicroSD)

WinXP Emb:
    Costs a lot per license (I think it is around $99/unit)
    No DVD Decoder

Not sure which one to go with. I just like to note, I'm not saying these aren't impossible, I'm just saying I don't know how to do them... yet.

My Cars
    1999 540i
    I would love such a setup but would always pay more NOT to have anything with windows.

why don't planes use Windows?

Who wants to crash every 2nd takeoff!

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hiya,

Ever since I saw an E39 drive past me with what looked like a 2nd binnacle I've thought about doing something like this. I managed to take a picture as he drove by me as well so I'll try and dig it out.

What you are proposing from a fabrication point of view can be done relatively easily. I have around 3 dashboards and when I get a chance I'll have two of them over at a bodyshop or one of my car audio install places to use one of the binnacles to be blended into the other dashtop like you've photoshopped. Moving the air ducts will be harder as new plastic pieces will probably be required to be made.

When it comes to the electronics side, then most of the features you are mentioning is done by the product/software called Centrafuse. This is a common platform that's used in many of the enthusiast level Car PC's. At the UK's biggest BMW show a couple weekends ago, I met one guy who I've corresponded with who has an E39 with a full PC and running one of the rotary control knobs as pictured above (griffin control knob i think its called?) he's mounted it where the ashtray is.

I know centrafuse has OBD2 connectivity support, has a DVD player and lots and lots of other features as well. By connecting one of the newly released units for FM radio, which for us in the UK includes DAB that would be that element nicely resolved instead of trying to use those USB stick digital TV tuners etc. Centrafuse also has GPS built in, so that would be another useful feature covered.

I think there's some software called Roadrunner which is an alternative as well.

I'd also suggest purchasing a good tablet all in one machine to run the software on. I have a Viliv X70 and a S5 unit which I would like to incorporate too - in separate projects! - and with the amount of new slate PC's coming out, more choice presents itself. With the Android OS taking off in a big way, perhaps that will have plenty of in built features and then 'apps' to do various bits. Archos, have a range of machines just announced, then theres the Samsung Galaxy Tab due soon, and the many more that'll be announced and probably available in the run up to christmas 2010 !

Most E39 owners probably wouldn't bother with the dash fabrication thing, so you may also want to look at incorporated a 7 inch slate into the standard dash slot which is something I'd love to do!

Monty540i - You'd be amazed at the work Microsoft Auto are doing with the worlds biggest car makers for systems and solutions that will be in cars in perhaps 3-5 years time ! I spoke to them at the 2010 CES show in Las Vegas and it's interesting to see what may come about in the mid term future !

Cheers, Dennis! West London UK!

My Cars
    2001 E39 530i
    Have you considered Android?

There are quite a few Android 5-11" slimline units out there with USB host interfaces that could do some interesting things with. Most are fairly cheap, under 200USD and although they are not up to the screen quality of the iPhone for example they are OK and they had a capacative touch screen.

Android also has a native car interface plus a staggering amount of themes, launchers, utilities etc - with most of them being free and you can distribute the stock Android OS for free.

My android based phone can launch into car mode (i.e. big buttons) and I immediately have a free GPS app plus other items available.

My Cars
    2010 e92 335i M-Sport
    Xeniczone:

All good points mate, personally, windows would be the best choice (unless there is a ready made bundle available).

Windows licences are not that much of a problem.

I liked the video where you show what you have done so far, I like the i-drive menu, and its operation.

I did see this

http://www.viglen.co.uk/viglen/Produ...&Type=Desktops

Coupled with a 7" or 8" touch screen would be a perfect solution. (for the e46).

If your menus and OS could fit on this then it could be an ideal solution.
    Personally I don't care about CD/DVD players, as longas I can plug my ipod video in and play music and videos (with Id3 tags and playlist setup, 1->6 or long key press 7->12) then thats fine.

GPS is a must, with full zip codes and add-able POI and alerts.

BT is a must (with caller id and phone book).
    VR would be nice.

USB DvT and DAB is a bonus as would be WiFi.

Dennis:

Centrafuse is OK, but I have yet to see a i-drive menu like the one in the video above.

It is the best of the bunch though and does have a lot of built in features.

My Cars
    1999 540i
    I am glad microsoft seems to be pushing car apps but as a left of field....

What about a iPad?

I am thinking on a custom job that slides out and rotates.

Heaps of apps available and growing daily.

Just a thought...would be very cool.

My Cars
    2010 e92 335i M-Sport
    But you would be stuck with MAC-OS, and for mac haters like me that would be a non starter.

My Cars
    97- 540
    Dashboard????

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    @DennisCooper
    I agree with the screen. I think the 10.1 inch screen shouldn't be used if mass production was in mind, it requires too much modification, and only 2/3rd of the actual screen is used to generation the 8.8 (8:3 Ratio) BMW Screen. Not sure wether it should be motorized (like the Z4) or stationary (like the 1-series).

As for the air ducts, take a look at E38 air ducts, I think they should fit in their perfectly, but I haven't done any specific measuring.

I looked up CentraFuse, It is nice, but I don't think the UI will work for me, and I don't think it can be modified to the way I want it. Plus building my own software, I can integrate piracy protection. I have figured out how to read serial numbers of hard drives, motherboards, etc. Which then can be calculated into a product number given to the user. If the Product number + math algorithm = serial numbers, then the product is good to go. If someone tries to install the product on a different motherboard or hard drive, the numbers won't match and the software doesn't run.

All-in-one PC won't be required. In my case, I'm going to have the computer in the trunk (same spot as OE Nav unit) then have a CD drive/buttons in place of the Head unit (which is much smaller then OE). I'm going to use a Mini-ITX board which is 13mmx13mm. If this was production, the head unit would be the buttons/computer/cd drive ideally. Making minimum wiring.

I though of using the Ash try, but I think it is too far away from the natural relaxed state of the arm. Especially for a short person. Plus the idea behind iDrive is to be able to control the computer without taking your eyes of the road. This is goal number 1. The controller has to be built well, like the rotatory part must be "clicky" where the user can count the number of rotations, etc.

I was going to fabricate mine out of fiberglass, and I had already planned to redo my entire interior with black leather so no problem trying to match colors or anything, but I think for production, it should require minimum cutting to place the monitor (probably 7" or 8" 16:9 aspect), and making holes to run wires. Then the head unit would be self-contained computer/cd drive/buttons. Then a wire would have to connect the head unit to the knob controller. I think in the pre-facelift another modification would be needed for the i-bus signal. I think the facelift models have the i-bus signal on the radio.

There is another option to have the head unit and LCD built together, which I don't like. Makes the LCD too far out of road view.

@rathalian
    I haven't considered Android, but I wouldn't imagine it would be any better then linux, aka lacking frameworks/api's and requiring a lot of low level programming.

@ccfj1
    Thanks about the menus, I watched the BMW offical iDrive, and every time you would click on something the screen would fade, and bring up a new menu. I didn't feel this matched the integrated theme that I was looking for. Though it was probably done because of hardware limitations as I discovered in my first post, but I think that everything should be sliding out from the right, with the exception of the GPS which as of now I'm planning on using a heavy theme modified iGo8 software. My original idea was to make my own nav software, but I think this would be too big a task to take on myself, and why reinvent the wheel. iGo8 is a brilliant piece of software.

The computer you suggested, which doesn't mention any specs, is probably too weak to do all the animations I want. I'm thinking of using a Pentium 4 PC w/ Intel 945 graphics to run my tests on and see how well that works. If everything works well on that computer, then I think the initial cost of the mobo would be 65 dollars. (~£39) Not counting memory, hard drive, etc.

The menus will fit on a 7-8" screen. The screen in the video is a 7" screen. Do me a favor and measure which one will fit better in the E46.
    7" - 6.1" x 3.43"
    8" - 6.97" x 3.92"

I agree ID3 is a must, I didn't think of playlists, I will have to start considering them, I personally never use playlist. I just need to big old shuffle button.

Right now I'm thinking of using Windows Embedded XP. So BT and USB should be in tacked. Though I must say, I have no idea how to control bluetooths protocols. That is going to require some reading. My original idea was to use the serial bus on the iphone to control the phone, unfortunately this only works if you own an iphone and doesn't work for other phones, but I will make a dedicated effort to getting bluetooth to work.

@Monty540
    iPad is unacceptable simply because of costs. If this was to be mass produced, I think the target price would be around 500-800 dollars for the entire system. Give or take depending on stuff used, hardware included, etc... The iPad alone is 500 dollars.

Mac OS would be a great operating system to build upon in a situation like this. Not only is it a well design OS, but it also has all the APIs needed to build this project simply (without low level programming), but because of hardware constraints Mac OS is totally unacceptable.

One more thing about Windows being unreliable. I think this is a bad stereotype from the Windows 9X kernal. Which was very unstable and bad, but the modern NT kernals are much better off. Especially in a embedded solution where the only drivers installed are the ones needed. So no conflicting drivers.

I have attached a file detailing the layout of the menus. If someone is willing to download and overview it and make suggestions on how it should be, or should be better. That would be great.

NVM, I got to go, and I can't upload XLS files. I will redo it later in TXT format.

My Cars
    2010 e92 335i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeniczone View Post
    All-in-one PC won't be required. In my case, I'm going to have the computer in the trunk (same spot as OE Nav unit) then have a CD drive/buttons in place of the Head unit (which is much smaller then OE). I'm going to use a Mini-ITX board which is 13mmx13mm. If this was production, the head unit would be the buttons/computer/cd drive ideally. Making minimum wiring.
    It's a pity that it could not sit up front as a trunk mounted pc is a bit of agro.

@ccfj1
    Thanks about the menus, I watched the BMW offical iDrive, and every time you would click on something the screen would fade, and bring up a new menu. I didn't feel this matched the integrated theme that I was looking for. Though it was probably done because of hardware limitations as I discovered in my first post, but I think that everything should be sliding out from the right, with the exception of the GPS which as of now I'm planning on using a heavy theme modified iGo8 software. My original idea was to make my own nav software, but I think this would be too big a task to take on myself, and why reinvent the wheel. iGo8 is a brilliant piece of software.
    That sounds workable mate.

The computer you suggested, which doesn't mention any specs, is probably too weak to do all the animations I want.
    We use them at work as kiosk pcs and they seem to do the job, I'll try and dig some more info out, the beauty of these is that they are very small, the size of a bag of chips.

I'm thinking of using a Pentium 4 PC w/ Intel 945 graphics to run my tests on and see how well that works. If everything works well on that computer, then I think the initial cost of the mobo would be 65 dollars. (~£39) Not counting memory, hard drive, etc.
    That sounds reasonable.

The menus will fit on a 7-8" screen. The screen in the video is a 7" screen. Do me a favor and measure which one will fit better in the E46.
    7" - 6.1" x 3.43"
    8" - 6.97" x 3.92"
    6" is the OEM size and 7" (with custom surrounds) are very common.

Both can be used, and I have seen a 8.8 (from a cic display) used and it does fit, it would just need a custom surround.

The OEM hole size is 25cm x 12cm.

I agree ID3 is a must, I didn't think of playlists, I will have to start considering them, I personally never use playlist. I just need to big old shuffle button.
    I use a intravee for ipod connection and this can use up to 12 playlist and I use this all the time, as I like to swap my music about and a full random on mine would be awful.

There would probably need to be a split screen quick menu for quick menu access, as at the moment the OEM nav has the 1->6 buttons available all the time.

I have a nearly complete list of i-bus commands for the OEM nav buttons and mfsw as well as loads of other i-bus codes for things like the light module (for auto changing the display to nightmode).

Right now I'm thinking of using Windows Embedded XP.
    Perfect, it's ultra stable and works.

So BT and USB should be in tacked. Though I must say, I have no idea how to control bluetooths protocols.
    There must be a way as loads of apps provide BT interface for various phones, my pc at work had abt dongle and flags up incoming calls (with caller ID) and texts etc, and that just using nokias pcsuite.

That is going to require some reading. My original idea was to use the serial bus on the iphone to control the phone, unfortunately this only works if you own an iphone and doesn't work for other phones, but I will make a dedicated effort to getting bluetooth to work.

I have attached a file detailing the layout of the menus. If someone is willing to download and overview it and make suggestions on how it should be, or should be better. That would be great.

NVM, I got to go, and I can't upload XLS files. I will redo it later in TXT format.
    Sounds like the kernel of a good project mate, if you need any help and I can help get in touch.
    2010 e92 335i M-Sport, OEM Retrofits: - Dab, EPS individual audio, Rear blind, M3 Heated Interior, Dashcam, Digital Tv.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by ccfj1 View Post
    It's a pity that it could not sit up front as a trunk mounted pc is a bit of agro.
    This is just for my car. I'm imagining an all-in-one head unit for production.

We use them at work as kiosk pcs and they seem to do the job, I'll try and dig some more info out, the beauty of these is that they are very small, the size of a bag of chips.
    Yeah it looks small as hell, but I couldn't find any specs on it. If you can that would be great. I correct my previous statement, I said that the Mini-Itx was 13mmx13mm, I meant 13cmx13cm.

6" is the OEM size and 7" (with custom surrounds) are very common.

Both can be used, and I have seen a 8.8 (from a cic display) used and it does fit, it would just need a custom surround.

The OEM hole size is 25cm x 12cm.
    Are you thinking of putting the screen in the OEM Place? If that is the case, I think a 7in screen would be best. What fooljam and I were discussing was having the screen installed on top. Like the image below. Then the head unit would be buttons, CD drive, hard drive, computer parts, etc, but actually have no screen. Finally you need the last part which will be the knob controller. So the complete package is based on 3 parts. Dash LCD, HeadUnit, Knob Controller.

Just to be clear, the gray thing on top is the screen, it moves up and down. Not the small navi unit on the left.

I use a intravee for ipod connection and this can use up to 12 playlist and I use this all the time, as I like to swap my music about and a full random on mine would be awful.
    I'm not sure I understand this. iPods have playlists built in, which are made by iTunes. I was thinking of adding playlist support to the HDD feature, and making the iDrive system able to read the iPods playlist list.

There would probably need to be a split screen quick menu for quick menu access, as at the moment the OEM nav has the 1->6 buttons available all the time.
    Again, this shouldn't be a problem with our idea to put the screen on top. Then you have that entire head unit space for buttons, and maybe a smaller "text" LCD that would be used if the main LCD is turned off, because of night driving or other situation.

I have a nearly complete list of i-bus commands for the OEM nav buttons and mfsw as well as loads of other i-bus codes for things like the light module (for auto changing the display to nightmode).
    I was unaware that the BMW had a night mode, unless it is automatic based on time or light switch position. My idea, which is probably mostly limited to my car, because of cost/install troubles, is to replace the CCFL light in the LCD with a LOT of LEDs. This would allow for a very bright display even in direct sun light. I would then use a Phototransistor to control the brightness of the LEDs based on the ambient light in the car.

There must be a way as loads of apps provide BT interface for various phones, my pc at work had abt dongle and flags up incoming calls (with caller ID) and texts etc, and that just using nokias pcsuite.
    Their are a lot of programs I would imagine, but unless I program it myself or use some sort of library, it won't be integrated into the iDrive Shell. Basically making it look messy again.

Here is the file... I couldn't convert it, so I just renamed it. When you download it you MUST rename it from *.txt to *.xls You will need OpenOffice or MS Office to view.

I hope it isn't too confusing, and like I said it is missing a few features that I would like to add...
    -Night Vision Camera
    -Rear View Camera
    -Memory Seats
    Attached Files Attached Files

My Cars
    2008 BMW 535xit
    Good, so I'm not the only one trying to do something like this with the E39.

For the LCD, I'm considering removing the MID and CD player, and using http://www.xenarc.com/product/1026tsa.html (Xenarc 10" LCD Touchscreen - 16x9). I would of course need to pull all the bezel bits, but the LCD itself fits almost perfectly.

Andriod runs ARM, though there is an x86 port. Windows Mobile 7 is also due to be released very soon.

I'm still on the fence for hardware. Would like multiple monitor support (for rear seats) and a few other features. Would love to find some mITX ARM systems based on the new stuff, but so far, no luck.

I'll post pic's when I get home.

Edit: After looking at the menu layout posted above, something I would like to see is avg RPM, or an almost exact and to the second fuel usage.
    Last edited by Chubblez; 09-29-2010 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Thought of something
    2008 535xit - Monaco Blue Metallic / Cream Beige. - Work in progress.
    "Everyone gets everything he wants. Me? I wanted to be a systems admin. And for my sins, they made me one."
    ~ Found in a tech forum signature

My Cars
    2010 e92 335i M-Sport
    This is just for my car. I'm imagining an all-in-one head unit for production.
    That would be ideal.

Yeah it looks small as hell, but I couldn't find any specs on it. If you can that would be great. I correct my previous statement, I said that the Mini-Itx was 13mmx13mm, I meant 13cmx13cm.
    Viglen MPC-L

It has 512MB RAM, 80GB hard disk, a 400MHz AMD Geode processor turning in 800 bogomips, 6 USB ports, and consumes only 10W of power.

Are you thinking of putting the screen in the OEM Place?
    Yes, as a replacement for the OEM.

If that is the case, I think a 7in screen would be best. What fooljam and I were discussing was having the screen installed on top. Like the image below. Then the head unit would be buttons, CD drive, hard drive, computer parts, etc, but actually have no screen. Finally you need the last part which will be the knob controller. So the complete package is based on 3 parts. Dash LCD, HeadUnit, Knob Controller.
    OK, I can see that makes sense for the 39 as you have a MID, but the e46 does not, so a direct replacement fir the HU would be better for us.

Just to be clear, the gray thing on top is the screen, it moves up and down. Not the small navi unit on the left.

Not sure what you mean mate.

I'm not sure I understand this. iPods have playlists built in,
    True, but with an OEM nav setup, there is no way to access an ipod without an interface, so I have one, its called an intravee...

http://www.intravention.co.uk/

This allows connection of an ipod (and all its music functions) via the OEM nav display.

Any unit would have to have a similar integration.

which are made by iTunes. I was thinking of adding playlist support to the HDD feature, and making the iDrive system able to read the iPods playlist list.
    That would be ideal.

Again, this shouldn't be a problem with our idea to put the screen on top. Then you have that entire head unit space for buttons, and maybe a smaller "text" LCD that would be used if the main LCD is turned off, because of night driving or other situation.

I was unaware that the BMW had a night mode, unless it is automatic based on time or light switch position.
    They don't, I recoded the OEM nav to have one, these are a couple of examples of the recoded OEM nav units.

Ufortunatly is not automatic, as there is not i-bus link between the LCM and the mk3/mk4, the LCM sends a dimmer signal to the nav unit, but it does not switch the menu scheme.

I've been working on this but as yet, can't find the nav unit's trigger.

My idea, which is probably mostly limited to my car, because of cost/install troubles, is to replace the CCFL light in the LCD with a LOT of LEDs. This would allow for a very bright display even in direct sun light. I would then use a Phototransistor to control the brightness of the LEDs based on the ambient light in the car.
    OK, thats would make it bright, probably not need in most applications

Their are a lot of programs I would imagine, but unless I program it myself or use some sort of library, it won't be integrated into the iDrive Shell. Basically making it look messy again.
    Cool.

Here is the file... I couldn't convert it, so I just renamed it. When you download it you MUST rename it from *.txt to *.xls You will need OpenOffice or MS Office to view.

I hope it isn't too confusing, and like I said it is missing a few features that I would like to add...
    -Night Vision Camera
    -Rear View Camera
    -Memory Seats
    Thanks for the info, I'll have a look.

-Night Vision Camera
    -Rear View Camera
    -Memory Seats
    This looks spot on mate, the only things I would possibly add would be (these are random thoughts, that you have probably thought of)

Menu- (maybe under the top (red) CD/Media menu?)

-Entertainment
    -DAB radio (or Satellite)
    -Dvt TV
    -Ipod video, for viewing video files
    -WiFi (with web browser)
    -A2DP, BT audio music streaming.
    The Radio option should be a toggle between AM/FM and DAB,

-Car Settings
    -Fold/unfold mirrors on lock [on/off]
    -PCD view [on/off]
    -Reverse Camera [on/off]
    -Rear blind retract while in reverse [on/off]
    -Lock doors when drive off [on/off]
    -Nightmode [on/off]
    -Night vision Camera [on/off]

-Memory seats - 1,2 and 3 (settings).
    -Telephone
    -Read SMS text messages
    Under vehicle Info, you can also have the cars service history info.

Would the screen default to a given "top" screen, I always use the map screen, so after say 5 seconds will the display toggle to the last used screen?

Good work mate
    Last edited by ccfj1; 09-30-2010 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010 e92 335i M-Sport, OEM Retrofits: - Dab, EPS individual audio, Rear blind, M3 Heated Interior, Dashcam, Digital Tv.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubblez View Post
    Andriod runs ARM, though there is an x86 port. Windows Mobile 7 is also due to be released very soon.

I'm still on the fence for hardware. Would like multiple monitor support (for rear seats) and a few other features. Would love to find some mITX ARM systems based on the new stuff, but so far, no luck.

Edit: After looking at the menu layout posted above, something I would like to see is avg RPM, or an almost exact and to the second fuel usage.
    I think windows mobile 7 is just an updated version of Windows CE. Which is missing parts of the Windows Framework. They call it the "Mobile Framework." The reason I want to use Windows Embedded Enterprise aka Windows XP Embedded, is because it features both the Windows Framework and the Windows Mobile Framework. So it should be able to run windows xp software and Windows CE mobile software such as iGo8.

Avg RPM should be easy, as long as I can tap into it. I know it runs on a different bus other then the iBus, just got to find out which one, and how to decrypt the signal.

Fuel usages would be hard but not impossible. It is all about making a good algorithm that can take account of RPMs, avg weight, speed, or anything else that affects fuel consumption. Like I said hard, but not impossible. BMW has one on the cluster, though I find it to be about 5-8mpg off most the time.

Viglen MPC-L

It has 512MB RAM, 80GB hard disk, a 400MHz AMD Geode processor turning in 800 bogomips, 6 USB ports, and consumes only 10W of power.
    The one that I building online features.
    Intel Atom Dual Core @ 1.66Ghz
    Intel Graphics 3140
    1Gig Ram DDR2 800
    160Gig Hard Drive (SATA Standard)

Which gives me 8-USB Devices and 3-Comm Ports. Which is perfect. I need 1 Comm port for GPS, 1 Comm Port of iBus, and 1 Comm port for my own serial bus. The only thing I'm missing is a DC-DC power supply, but right now the price is 120 Dollars (~70 Pounds). Though that is just the raw system. Still need to add GPS, LCD, PSU, 3D mouse... etc.

I actually just came up with an idea. I wonder if I can skip out on using my own serial bus, and just make my own iBus Calls. Basically I send my own signals through the iBus, and as long as none of the devices on the iBus recognize the signal it shouldn't interfere with anything except the devices I want it to.

OK, I can see that makes sense for the 39 as you have a MID, but the e46 does not, so a direct replacement fir the HU would be better for us.
    But if we made a head unit that replaces the E46's head unit and adds an MID to the E46? Again this is just speculation, nothing is set in stone.

Like you get the E46 kit, which has 3 things in it, an LCD screen, a replacement head unit(the computer), and a 3D mouse. You mount

Not sure what you mean mate.
    Like this
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-lFJ1gcexM[/ame]

True, but with an OEM nav setup, there is no way to access an ipod without an interface, so I have one, its called an intravee...

http://www.intravention.co.uk/

This allows connection of an ipod (and all its music functions) via the OEM nav display.
    My idea, which of course is only limited from my understanding of the iPod's serial funtions, will be having a plug for the ipod, when the ipod is plugged in the iDrive system, iDrive would try to read all the playlists on the iPod. So under the menu you should be able to select "Playlists" and it will bring up a list of all the playlists on the iPod.

Also I want to give the iDrive system it's own Playlist support of the hard drive. Which will be 160 gigs, (well maybe 130 gigs after formatting and reserving space for the software+updates)

They don't, I recoded the OEM nav to have one, these are a couple of examples of the recoded OEM nav units.

Ufortunatly is not automatic, as there is not i-bus link between the LCM and the mk3/mk4, the LCM sends a dimmer signal to the nav unit, but it does not switch the menu scheme.

I've been working on this but as yet, can't find the nav unit's trigger.
    So would placing a phototransistor on the head unit (discreetly) so that it can record the current ambiant light in the car and adjust the display accordingly? If it is dark in the car then it is night (or a tunnel) if it is bright in the car then it is day, or some jerk is shining a light on the unit.

How would you make the the menus night friendly? Tune the screen monochrome Black and Gray?

OK, thats would make it bright, probably not need in most applications
    Well I got the idea from my moms 2008 Chrysler Town and Country. Which has a GPS system in it, and doesn't have any kind of shroud or device that makes a shadow on the screen, yet you could drive during the brightest summers and still see the screen clear as day. Which I believe is due to a nice and bright screen. I want to emulate that, because my current GPS, if it is a bright summer day, you can forget seeing the screen without a putting a cover on it.

This looks spot on mate, the only things I would possibly add would be (these are random thoughts, that you have probably thought of)

Menu- (maybe under the top (red) CD/Media menu?)

-Entertainment
    -DAB radio (or Satellite)
    -Dvt TV
    -Ipod video, for viewing video files
    -WiFi (with web browser)
    -A2DP, BT audio music streaming.
    The Radio option should be a toggle between AM/FM and DAB,

-Car Settings
    -Fold/unfold mirrors on lock [on/off]
    -PCD view [on/off]
    -Reverse Camera [on/off]
    -Rear blind retract while in reverse [on/off]
    -Lock doors when drive off [on/off]
    -Nightmode [on/off]
    -Night vision Camera [on/off]

-Memory seats - 1,2 and 3 (settings).
    -Telephone
    -Read SMS text messages
    Not sure about auto folding mirrors, unless the BMW handles that like some sort of trigger, because upon locking or unlocking the iDrive system will be sleeping. So basically iDrive can only control stuff when the car is on, and if the device is controllable through iDrive.

For example. If I do add the phototransistor to the head unit to measure ambiant light and the headlights are switchable through the ibus then I can use the iDrive system to turn the low beams on and off automatically based on the ambient light.

Whats PCD view? Parking distance control?

I think reverse camera and night vision camera should be links rather then toggle switches. So to say. By clicking on Reverse Camera, the reverse camera will turn on. Then you should have the option to make it Automatic. That way whenever the transmission it put into reverse the reverse camera will come on. I don't think their is anyway to do a night vision camera automatic though. Unless it was tied into night mode. Where the camera would turn on as soon as night mode was activated (because of the phototransistor)

Under vehicle Info, you can also have the cars service history info.

Would the screen default to a given "top" screen, I always use the map screen, so after say 5 seconds will the display toggle to the last used screen?

Good work mate
    I'm not sure about the cars service history, simply because it wouldn't be reliable. I know the BMW has switches/sensors for stuff like the hood and other important components like brakes. It would be cool to make the idrive record these sensors. Like have a record of the date and time that someone opened the hood, and if the brake wear sensor is unplugged (returning a float) then that means that someone is messing with the brake. Unfortunitly I don't think this is possible simply because it would require the iDrive system to be on, which it is not when the car is off.

I'm not sure exactly how to handle the menu system after the car has been turned off or on. It all depends on how I'm able to use the device. Like how many watts does the device pull when in sleep, and how many seconds does it take for the device to dry boot. If the device goes into sleep then it would be easy to return the device back to it's original state. (music playing?, route on GPS?, last menu visited?)

If the device draws too much power when in sleep (unlikely), or Windows takes less then 10 seconds to boot (unlikely, lol) Then I would prefer to just shut the device down.

Depends all on what people want. I personally prefer that when I turn the device on it returns to my last song and playlist, and starts me off on the main menu.
    Last edited by Xeniczone; 09-30-2010 at 02:12 PM.

My Cars
    2010 e92 335i M-Sport
    I think windows mobile 7 is just an updated version of Windows CE. Which is missing parts of the Windows Framework. They call it the "Mobile Framework." The reason I want to use Windows Embedded Enterprise aka Windows XP Embedded, is because it features both the Windows Framework and the Windows Mobile Framework. So it should be able to run windows xp software and Windows CE mobile software such as iGo8.
    OK, sounds reasonable, the iGo8 looks ok but it would be nice if you could have proper 3d terrain mapping as well (not just buildings in 3d).

Avg RPM should be easy, as long as I can tap into it. I know it runs on a different bus other then the iBus, just got to find out which one, and how to decrypt the signal.
    I think it's just a i-bus message.

Fuel usages would be hard but not impossible. It is all about making a good algorithm that can take account of RPMs, avg weight, speed, or anything else that affects fuel consumption. Like I said hard, but not impossible. BMW has one on the cluster, though I find it to be about 5-8mpg off most the time.
    This is already done on the e46 (so should be done on the e39 as well).

But, as you say its not that accurate.

The one that I building online features.
    Intel Atom Dual Core @ 1.66Ghz
    Intel Graphics 3140
    1Gig Ram DDR2 800
    160Gig Hard Drive (SATA Standard)

Which gives me 8-USB Devices and 3-Comm Ports. Which is perfect. I need 1 Comm port for GPS, 1 Comm Port of iBus, and 1 Comm port for my own serial bus. The only thing I'm missing is a DC-DC power supply, but right now the price is 120 Dollars (~70 Pounds). Though that is just the raw system. Still need to add GPS, LCD, PSU, 3D mouse... etc.
    $120 all in thats not bad at all mate.

I actually just came up with an idea. I wonder if I can skip out on using my own serial bus, and just make my own iBus Calls. Basically I send my own signals through the iBus,
    You sure can, if you have an i-bus interface then you just hook it up and then can control and read loads of functions and data direct from the car.

There are codes for lots of thing and you can just tyoe the code in and send and bingo, thats it, so you can drop the window, seat, sunroof, lights door locks, the list in endless.

and as long as none of the devices on the iBus recognize the signal it shouldn't interfere with anything except the devices I want it to.
    You should have no problem, OEM devices are registered on the i-bus and will not clash, tapins to the network, don't show up, so any i-bus command that are sent, just work as the receiving device just sees a vaild command.

But if we made a head unit that replaces the E46's head unit and adds an MID to the E46? Again this is just speculation, nothing is set in stone.
    The e46 does not have a MID or a high cluster command set, so for the e46 it just replaces the HU.

Like you get the E46 kit, which has 3 things in it, an LCD screen, a replacement head unit(the computer), and a 3D mouse. You mount

Like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-lFJ1gcexM
    Ok, that sounds good for cars that want the extra binical, but it's not something I would do (personally).

I would be looking to replace the HU only, so it looks as OEM as possible.

My idea, which of course is only limited from my understanding of the iPod's serial funtions, will be having a plug for the ipod, when the ipod is plugged in the iDrive system, iDrive would try to read all the playlists on the iPod. So under the menu you should be able to select "Playlists" and it will bring up a list of all the playlists on the iPod.
    OK, thats sounds like it should be the way to do it.

Also I want to give the iDrive system it's own Playlist support of the hard drive. Which will be 160 gigs, (well maybe 130 gigs after formatting and reserving space for the software+updates)
    OK, this would kind of negate the ipod support though as most have all their songs on their PC, and only transfer the ones the listen to (most of the times) to the ipod.

Ipod is handy as its mobile.

So would placing a phototransistor on the head unit (discreetly) so that it can record the current ambiant light in the car and adjust the display accordingly?
    You could but this is work you don't need to.

The Ibus provides all this info from the LCM.

So when the phototransistor in the LCM detects lights on or a drop to a predetermined level, then the your "idrive" skin could then toggle to a darker version of this skin and the maps could be switched to their native "nightmode/nightview".

No need to reinvent the wheel mate, use the i-bus.

If it is dark in the car then it is night (or a tunnel) if it is bright in the car then it is day, or some jerk is shining a light on the unit.

How would you make the the menus night friendly? Tune the screen monochrome Black and Gray?
    What I did was use the OEM screen as the basis and then either reduce the colour pallete by 50% or use a subdued replacement colour.

If your i-drive skin is .png or .gif picture based then simply have 2 versions, bright and dark, when the ibus detects a lights on or/and darkness level (below a predetermined value) then toggle skin from day to night.

Having the toggle done on lights and/or predetermined value means that you can have the lights on during the day and still have the Day (bright) skin, and only when its gets below the predetermined value (with the lights on or off) does it switches to night skin.

I drive with my lights on during the day and do not want my nightmode on during the day.

Well I got the idea from my moms 2008 Chrysler Town and Country. Which has a GPS system in it, and doesn't have any kind of shroud or device that makes a shadow on the screen, yet you could drive during the brightest summers and still see the screen clear as day. Which I believe is due to a nice and bright screen. I want to emulate that, because my current GPS, if it is a bright summer day, you can forget seeing the screen without a putting a cover on it.
    The OEM screen has a special coating so that

a: you can see it in pretty much any light.
    b: yiu get no glare from it.

Not sure about auto folding mirrors, unless the BMW handles that like some sort of trigger, because upon locking or unlocking the iDrive system will be sleeping. So basically iDrive can only control stuff when the car is on, and if the device is controllable through iDrive.
    The carputer would need to be active of up to 5 minutes after switch off, both e46 and e39 are active for this sort of time as OEM.

For example. If I do add the phototransistor to the head unit to measure ambiant light and the headlights are switchable through the ibus then I can use the iDrive system to turn the low beams on and off automatically based on the ambient light.
    Yes you could do that from the i-bus, but the carputer would need to be up.

Whats PCD view? Parking distance control?
    Yes sorry, typo.

I'm not sure about the cars service history, simply because it wouldn't be reliable.
    This info is held on the cars cluster and LCM, and is 100% reliable.

This info is used by the dealer to determine when the car has been in for service and the dates it was done. (and how long left to next).

I can't be changed by the owner unless he has the OEM bmw diagnostic tools.

I know the BMW has switches/sensors for stuff like the hood and other important components like brakes. It would be cool to make the idrive record these sensors. Like have a record of the date and time that someone opened the hood, and if the brake wear sensor is unplugged (returning a float) then that means that someone is messing with the brake. Unfortunitly I don't think this is possible simply because it would require the iDrive system to be on, which it is not when the car is off.
    I'm pretty sure all this is passed on the i-bus.

I'm not sure exactly how to handle the menu system after the car has been turned off or on. It all depends on how I'm able to use the device. Like how many watts does the device pull when in sleep, and how many seconds does it take for the device to dry boot. If the device goes into sleep then it would be easy to return the device back to it's original state. (music playing?, route on GPS?, last menu visited?)
    Indeed mate, its a problem, the OEM setup is... devices sleep for up to 15 minutes after power off, after that then deep sleep power off.

So a quick pop into the shops for a paper, will result in no deep sleep, the display powers on almost imeadatly, any longer than 15minutes and the scree/nav has to power up from cold.

However, the ibus is ***always*** active, when the car unlocks the i-bus starts the power on routine for all the modules, nav, phone, tv, pdc, cluster, alarm, windows, central locking, seats, radio, screen HVAC etc, so its all ready when you get in the car.

Nav takes a little longer, thats why you get the splash scree, it booting up and not quite ready, you only see the nav splash screen wile the nav is booting.

If the device draws too much power when in sleep (unlikely), or Windows takes less then 10 seconds to boot (unlikely, lol) Then I would prefer to just shut the device down.
    Indeed, if the carputer boots in a short time, power off (after 4 minutes) would be fine.

Powering off the display on ignition would be fine too, as we only need the display when the car has the ignition key in (also an i-bus detect command).

Depends all on what people want. I personally prefer that when I turn the device on it returns to my last song and playlist, and starts me off on the main menu.
    Indeed, but this info could be saved in a shutdown log no?

In reality, only the last screen seen and last device playing sound need to be saved.

So if you were on the main menu with the radio, then power back up with that.

If you had the map up (my default), and say ipod playlist 1 track 4, then use that (I don't mind if the track starts from the beginning).

Sending a pause to the ipod would sort this.

It would be nice to have 70:30 split screen to, so you could have the map on widow 1 and the ipod id3 info in window 2.

Or any combo is either window.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    I think it's just a i-bus message.
    I think it is now too, but I started reading up on the iBus and on the E46 everything is controlled by the iBus, but on the E39 some stuff is split between the iBus and the kBus. Which I'm not 100% sure, but I think they run on the same protocols which is easy to convert to RS232. Only requires a TH3122 and MAX232 chips.

$120 all in thats not bad at all mate.
    Yeah, I wanted to keep the price between 550-600 dollars to make it competitive with those crappy Chinese head/nav units.

You sure can, if you have an i-bus interface then you just hook it up and then can control and read loads of functions and data direct from the car.

There are codes for lots of thing and you can just tyoe the code in and send and bingo, thats it, so you can drop the window, seat, sunroof, lights door locks, the list in endless.

You should have no problem, OEM devices are registered on the i-bus and will not clash, tapins to the network, don't show up, so any i-bus command that are sent, just work as the receiving device just sees a vaild command.
    Yeah, I'm actually just learning about the iBus, thanks to you , and I'm finding it very interesting. This is actually one of the first things I want to try. Basically if I hook my laptop up to the iBus, I should be able to click on random things, like turning the head lights on, and read the iBus code. Then I can try sending some of the codes back, and see what happens. One thing I can't read, but really want to, is the iBus codes for wireless locking and unlocking. My key broke recently, and I want to make my own, but now I want to use the iBus since it possibilities are vitually unlimited. (different from the iDrive project)

I actually found out that the first hex digit on the iBus is the device that it is being sent to. For example, 0xD0 is the light module and 0x3F is the mirrors. Basically I just need to make my own device iBus id, say 0xFF is for the iDrive, and it definitely shouldn't interfere with anything.

The e46 does not have a MID or a high cluster command set, so for the e46 it just replaces the HU.

Ok, that sounds good for cars that want the extra binical, but it's not something I would do (personally).

I would be looking to replace the HU only, so it looks as OEM as possible.
    I was suggesting of adding the MID to the E46, after all your adding a computer to your car that can literally do just about anything. So for the E46 it would control the new MID that was just added, but I guess your right, their will be a few people who want to keep their cars looking stock, so that option should be available.

OK, this would kind of negate the ipod support though as most have all their songs on their PC, and only transfer the ones the listen to (most of the times) to the ipod.

Ipod is handy as its mobile.
    Yeah, but this would be handy if you don't want to have to remember your iPod whenever you go in your car, or if a friend has their iPod and wants to plug it into your car. You don't have to keep swapping iPods to get your music and their music.

So when the phototransistor in the LCM detects lights on or a drop to a predetermined level, then the your "idrive" skin could then toggle to a darker version of this skin and the maps could be switched to their native "nightmode/nightview".
    I don't think the E39, or at least mine, has this. If it did mine should already have auto-headlights. Again, I believe the E46 is a little more advance then the E39. Simply because it was designed 3 years after the E39. Your probably right the E46 doesn't need the phototransister, but I'm pretty sure the E39 does.

What I did was use the OEM screen as the basis and then either reduce the colour pallete by 50% or use a subdued replacement colour.

If your i-drive skin is .png or .gif picture based then simply have 2 versions, bright and dark, when the ibus detects a lights on or/and darkness level (below a predetermined value) then toggle skin from day to night.
    I guess that would work. I was trying to find an example, but it seems that not even the OEM iDrive does this.

The carputer would need to be active of up to 5 minutes after switch off, both e46 and e39 are active for this sort of time as OEM.
    Actually that would work perfectly. So as soon as the carputer is turned on (upon unlock) It can start unfolding the mirrors. This could also be used for features like auto-rollup windows. So as soon as you leave the car, the windows start rolling up. Without having to hold the key.

Yes sorry, typo.
    It is alright, I think PDC can be part of the reverse. I have a picture of the OEM iDrive showing a reverse with visible PDC. I will have to scan it later. I've been stealing all my ideas from this F10 5-series Features book. Though my car doesn't have PDC, so I wouldn't be able to test this.

This info is held on the cars cluster and LCM, and is 100% reliable.

This info is used by the dealer to determine when the car has been in for service and the dates it was done. (and how long left to next).

I can't be changed by the owner unless he has the OEM bmw diagnostic tools.
    This would only be viewable (if accessible) and can't be change then correct?

Indeed mate, its a problem, the OEM setup is... devices sleep for up to 15 minutes after power off, after that then deep sleep power off.

So a quick pop into the shops for a paper, will result in no deep sleep, the display powers on almost imeadatly, any longer than 15minutes and the scree/nav has to power up from cold.

However, the ibus is ***always*** active, when the car unlocks the i-bus starts the power on routine for all the modules, nav, phone, tv, pdc, cluster, alarm, windows, central locking, seats, radio, screen HVAC etc, so its all ready when you get in the car.
    This seem complex and unnessary. The device should stay on for 5 mins after the car is turned off, but sleeping for 15 mins then shutting down seems wrong. I can see what they were going for, if you make a quick stop the device will still be warmed up, but seems like a waste of battery life.

Nav takes a little longer, thats why you get the splash scree, it booting up and not quite ready, you only see the nav splash screen wile the nav is booting.
    I'm sure Windows XP Embedded let me change the boot screen. I can change it to something that looks like the OEM BMW boot screen.

Indeed, but this info could be saved in a shutdown log no?
    Definitely. Upon receiving the shut down command, After being on for 5mins, the iDrive system will save all important information. What song is being played? What play list is on? What music device is being used? Etc. Then the device will go into shutdown.

In reality, only the last screen seen and last device playing sound need to be saved.

So if you were on the main menu with the radio, then power back up with that.

If you had the map up (my default), and say ipod playlist 1 track 4, then use that (I don't mind if the track starts from the beginning).
    So, you want it to return to the last used menu? Like if you had the Contacts list open, you leave the car, and the carputer turns off. When you unlock your car, the contact list will pop up again?

Sending a pause to the ipod would sort this.
    I think their is a way to confirm the iPods presents through the serial bus. If the iPod is no longer detected, then it should resort to a fail safe, Such as turning music off. Otherwise you will end up with an error. The iDrive system will think that the iPod is playing when their is no iPod at all.

It would be nice to have 70:30 split screen to, so you could have the map on widow 1 and the ipod id3 info in window 2.
    What if their was a menu that hides to the right, whenever the music is playing. This will be accessible by pressing the option button on the idrive knob, and it will open up the corresponding controls based on what device is playing. Though this would only be controls, not the list or anything else. At the same time, the buttons on the steering wheel should also be able to control background music. Though I don't think this would apply to the navigation software, simply because it is going to be a specially skinned iGo8. Which I have no control over, but the buttons on the steering wheel WILL still work.

For now iGo8 will have be, but I may later start work on my own Nav software. I want to use the maps from iGo8 or some other GPS device, that way I don't have to be responsible for updating the maps.

One more thing, I just saw a picture of the E46 interior, and I don't see ANYWHERE that the iDrive knob could go. Did you have a specific idea?

My Cars
    2010 e92 335i M-Sport
    I think it is now too, but I started reading up on the iBus and on the E46 everything is controlled by the iBus, but on the E39 some stuff is split between the iBus and the kBus. Which I'm not 100% sure, but I think they run on the same protocols which is easy to convert to RS232. Only requires a TH3122 and MAX232 chips.
    Cool.

Yeah, I wanted to keep the price between 550-600 dollars to make it competitive with those crappy Chinese head/nav units.
    Indeed, I'm using the OEM nav at the moment and I'm happy with it, this is just a nice little project that has sparked an interest, I don't mind spending a few quid to see what we can come up with.

Yeah, I'm actually just learning about the iBus, thanks to you , and I'm finding it very interesting. This is actually one of the first things I want to try. Basically if I hook my laptop up to the iBus, I should be able to click on random things, like turning the head lights on, and read the iBus code.
    Absolutely, it's fairly robust, so you cant damage anything.

Then I can try sending some of the codes back, and see what happens. One thing I can't read, but really want to, is the iBus codes for wireless locking and unlocking.
    Hmm, not sure if they exist, the alert/ key fobs are encrypted with one time codes.

My key broke recently, and I want to make my own, but now I want to use the iBus since it possibilities are vitually unlimited. (different from the iDrive project)
    You may be able to utilise the BT part of the system (and a bt proximity of your phone) as a auto unlock and alarm on/off, maybe with a pre-start sequence?

I actually found out that the first hex digit on the iBus is the device that it is being sent to. For example, 0xD0 is the light module and 0x3F is the mirrors. Basically I just need to make my own device iBus id, say 0xFF is for the iDrive, and it definitely shouldn't interfere with anything.
    Cool.

I was suggesting of adding the MID to the E46, after all your adding a computer to your car that can literally do just about anything. So for the E46 it would control the new MID that was just added, but I guess your right, their will be a few people who want to keep their cars looking stock, so that option should be available.
    Yes, I see what you say.

Yeah, but this would be handy if you don't want to have to remember your iPod whenever you go in your car, or if a friend has their iPod and wants to plug it into your car. You don't have to keep swapping iPods to get your music and their music.
    Yes, there is that.

I don't think the E39, or at least mine, has this. If it did mine should already have auto-headlights. Again, I believe the E46 is a little more advance then the E39. Simply because it was designed 3 years after the E39. Your probably right the E46 doesn't need the phototransister, but I'm pretty sure the E39 does.
    Could be, mine has auto lights and a light sensor built into the switch.

I guess that would work. I was trying to find an example, but it seems that not even the OEM iDrive does this.
    I have seen a nightmode on the i-drive, but it just makes the map view screen darker (like my modded nightmode map).

Actually that would work perfectly. So as soon as the carputer is turned on (upon unlock) It can start unfolding the mirrors. This could also be used for features like auto-rollup windows. So as soon as you leave the car, the windows start rolling up. Without having to hold the key.
    Indeed, good thinking, again this could be hooked up to the BT proximity of your phone.

It is alright, I think PDC can be part of the reverse. I have a picture of the OEM iDrive showing a reverse with visible PDC. I will have to scan it later. I've been stealing all my ideas from this F10 5-series Features book.
    No point re-inverting the wheel mate.

Though my car doesn't have PDC, so I wouldn't be able to test this.
    Right, pity.

This would only be viewable (if accessible) and can't be change then correct?
    Correct.

This seem complex and unnessary. The device should stay on for 5 mins after the car is turned off, but sleeping for 15 mins then shutting down seems wrong. I can see what they were going for, if you make a quick stop the device will still be warmed up, but seems like a waste of battery life.
    Agreed, it's just a thought, but if he stand by power draw for the hibernating pc is low, then it should be OK.

I'm sure Windows XP Embedded let me change the boot screen. I can change it to something that looks like the OEM BMW boot screen.
    It does, I did see this some where, I'll try and dig it out.

Definitely. Upon receiving the shut down command, After being on for 5mins, the iDrive system will save all important information. What song is being played? What play list is on? What music device is being used? Etc. Then the device will go into shutdown.
    Perfect.

So, you want it to return to the last used menu? Like if you had the Contacts list open, you leave the car, and the carputer turns off. When you unlock your car, the contact list will pop up again?
    You could, personally I would be happy if it just went back to the main menu (or map display).

I think their is a way to confirm the iPods presents through the serial bus. If the iPod is no longer detected, then it should resort to a fail safe, Such as turning music off. Otherwise you will end up with an error. The iDrive system will think that the iPod is playing when their is no iPod at all.
    Hmm, this may or may not generate an error somewhere.

What if their was a menu that hides to the right, whenever the music is playing. This will be accessible by pressing the option button on the idrive knob, and it will open up the corresponding controls based on what device is playing.
    OK, I see where you are going.

Though this would only be controls, not the list or anything else.
    OK.

At the same time, the buttons on the steering wheel should also be able to control background music. Though I don't think this would apply to the navigation software, simply because it is going to be a specially skinned iGo8. Which I have no control over, but the buttons on the steering wheel WILL still work.
    OK, the MFSW i-bus code are fairly well know so should interface with the audio control OK.

For now iGo8 will have be, but I may later start work on my own Nav software. I want to use the maps from iGo8 or some other GPS device, that way I don't have to be responsible for updating the maps.
    Indeed, I did see some pics or full 3d terrain mapping (hills valleys, rivers etc) and this looked superb, not sure who makes it though, but that would look kinda cool.

One more thing, I just saw a picture of the E46 interior, and I don't see ANYWHERE that the iDrive knob could go. Did you have a specific idea?
    I have been thinking on this, the only place it could go would be the centre console, normally there is a cup holder or BT cradle there but it could be converted (there are lots of option choices for this cubby hole), converting one should be easy enough.

The only other thing to do would be a touch screen filter kit over the screen, not sure how this would interface with your i-drive software though.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Hmm, not sure if they exist, the alert/ key fobs are encrypted with one time codes.
    Your correct, but the fobs run on a different bus, I think the k-bus.

You may be able to utilise the BT part of the system (and a bt proximity of your phone) as a auto unlock and alarm on/off, maybe with a pre-start sequence?
    This would only work if a microcontroller was installed, that could control the bluetooth while the power is off/sleep.

Could be, mine has auto lights and a light sensor built into the switch.
    Ahh, no we are on the same page :P. Yeah, I'm not sure what year they started adding this, or if all 3-series have it. I originally wanted a 99-01 (prefacelift) E46, but the E39 won me over. I don't recall if they had auto-headlights. Would have to figure this out to find out what cars need the photo senors and which ones don't.

I have seen a nightmode on the i-drive, but it just makes the map view screen darker (like my modded nightmode map).
    O, I meant the menus. I didn't see any night mode on the menus.

Really you modified it? Excuse me for asking, because I've never played with an OEM system, but what have you modified?

You could, personally I would be happy if it just went back to the main menu (or map display).
    Sounds like another option to add to the menu:

Startup Screen (Navigation/Main Menu)

Hmm, this may or may not generate an error somewhere.
    Well, I mean the iDrive system will send play to the iPod, and the iPod doesn't respond when it plays so the iDrive system will have no idea if the iPod was their, and since everything is floating (no connecting) all the ID3 data will all be blank.

Indeed, I did see some pics or full 3d terrain mapping (hills valleys, rivers etc) and this looked superb, not sure who makes it though, but that would look kinda cool.
    Would be cool if you could find that. I'm really want to find a good map system that I can use to build my maps on.

It sounds like the too maps from something like Google and rendered them all in 3D. That would be great, but the amount of time that it must have taken is unthinkable.

Unless they built a computer program that used data from the GPS to build the 3D models terrain.

I have been thinking on this, the only place it could go would be the centre console, normally there is a cup holder or BT cradle there but it could be converted (there are lots of option choices for this cubby hole), converting one should be easy enough.
    I though of another solution. It would work almost exactly the same way the old iPods worked. Stick a capacitive potentiometer and some buttons under a piece of leather, and sow it onto the armrest. That way a circular piece of leather would become the controls, and would work just like an iPod. Instead of physical feedback, you could have it send a click sound of the audio.

The only other thing to do would be a touch screen filter kit over the screen, not sure how this would interface with your i-drive software though.
    Yeah, I've been back and forward on this, and I think I'm going to go with it. Have both iDrive remote and Touchscreen support. This will limit the amount of hardware needed to do a complete install. Basically the only thing needed for a basic level install is the head unit.

I think that take care of all the pre-planning stuff, now the only thing left to do is actually develop.

I started work on redoing the images. When I started working on this the first time. I just used pictures of the BMW iDrive, which were blurry and had random color artifacts in them. Doesn't really show up in the video.

So far I got the contacts background done, and started work on the menus.

My Cars
    1999 540i
    Keep up the good work.

If you build it right

I will buy it.

Thanks

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540i
    Very, very interesting thread. brings up some ideas. 8.8 screen looks so doable.

My Cars
    2010 e92 335i M-Sport

O, I meant the menus. I didn't see any night mode on the menus.

Really you modified it?
    Yeap.

Excuse me for asking, because I've never played with an OEM system, but what have you modified?
    I've modded the 2nd colour scheme to be a night mode, it has a modded colour palette for the menus and all the map colours are changed to a subdued black terrain and bright colour roads.

I also modded the text so that it's a bit more clear what the options are, as well as a new splash screen, modded voice (smoother less robotic), I (along with a russian guy) also enabled the speed camera alert function on the OEM mk4.

To do this you need to edit the OEM nav bootloader files and Navboot file (main nav OS), I have the tools for doing this but it is time consuming.

So this is the day map.

This has a modded sky with different pointer, but OEM in map colours.

This is the nightmode map view

Sounds like another option to add to the menu:

Startup Screen (Navigation/Main Menu)
    Cool.

Would be cool if you could find that. I'm really want to find a good map system that I can use to build my maps on.
    Indeed.

It sounds like the too maps from something like Google and rendered them all in 3D. That would be great, but the amount of time that it must have taken is unthinkable.
    I agree.

Unless they built a computer program that used data from the GPS to build the 3D models terrain.
    I'll keep looking.

I though of another solution. It would work almost exactly the same way the old iPods worked. Stick a capacitive potentiometer and some buttons under a piece of leather, and sow it onto the armrest. That way a circular piece of leather would become the controls, and would work just like an iPod. Instead of physical feedback, you could have it send a click sound of the audio.
    Yes thats an option, trouble is that the e46 armrest is a fair way back so the angle of your arm would be uncomfortable when making an adjustment.

Yeah, I've been back and forward on this, and I think I'm going to go with it. Have both iDrive remote and Touchscreen support. This will limit the amount of hardware needed to do a complete install. Basically the only thing needed for a basic level install is the head unit.
    That my thought mate, try and keep it all in 1 box.

I think that take care of all the pre-planning stuff, now the only thing left to do is actually develop.
    lol, easier said than done mate.

I started work on redoing the images. When I started working on this the first time. I just used pictures of the BMW iDrive, which were blurry and had random color artifacts in them. Doesn't really show up in the video.
    Right, I did fina site that had load of good pics of lots of menus, let me find then and make a zip up.

So far I got the contacts background done, and started work on the menus.
    Cool.
    Last edited by ccfj1; 10-04-2010 at 05:54 AM.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast