Thread: Loss of power

My Cars
    2002 BMW M Roadster

Loss of power

I was accelerating onto a freeway this morning, at about 7000rpm in 2nd, when the car suddenly bucked just as I was beginning to disengage the clutch. Shifted to 3rd and reengaged clutch without a problem, but could not throttle past 3900 or so RPM. Engine was running smoothly. Same in 4th gear. Took the next off ramp about a 1/2 mile later, and found same issues in 1st and 2nd. I don't think it was related to the clutch, just coincidental. I suspect that if I hadn't been in the process of depressing the clutch on the ramp, it would have lurched much more as the engine slowed to 3900. It seemed like a fuel delivery problem. The engine ran smoothly without a miss and idled fine. I've had an ignition coil fail before while driving with a more significant loss of power, but the engine ran very rough then. I drove about another mile on the side roads, then decided to try shutting the engine down and waiting a minute or two (in case of an ECU hiccup) (This seems to work with my Windows computer, anyway... After that, all was well, and I motored successfully 20 miles to work. Although I didn't accelerate as aggressively, I was able to reach the higher revs without any problem or hesitation. Any ideas?

Luis
    2002 M Roadster

My Cars
    S52 M Coupe
    Why are you revving to 7k to get on the highway?
    Your car has to be chipped because I'm pretty sure an S52's normal rev limit is 6500.

My Cars
    00 Z3 2.3
    OP has an S54.

My Cars
    2002 BMW M Roadster
    Here is some follow-up on this problem. It was a bad Mass Air Flow meter, causing a lean condition near red-line and triggering the ECU's "limp home" mode. New MAF, no more problem.

Here is a similar thread http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/bmw-m...-7-000rpm.html