Thread: '95 Sedan > Lock Bounce

My Cars
    07/95 BMW E34 520i Sedan

'95 Sedan > Lock Bounce

Hi guys, I have a problem with my central locking system. I can only lock the car from the passenger side because something in the locking mechanism of the passenger door is so stiff that the car automatically unlocks again.
    I have removed the entire lock and opened the actuator. It could be rotated manually throughout the entire range without any resistance. When I lock and unlock with the door open, I don't feel any resistance and the mechanism works fine.
    As soon as the door is closed, I feel resistance when operating the lock, which leads to the lock bouncing back open.
    Any ideas on what might be the problem?
    Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    2015 BMW M3
    Sounds like the issue might be related to the alignment or binding of the locking mechanism in the door when it's closed. Check to see if the door is properly aligned to the frame because if it's not it can cause stress on the mechanism and leads to stiffness and bouncing back. I might have to do a bit more research on this but you can also check for any worn parts like springs or levers.

My Cars
    07/95 BMW E34 520i Sedan
    After spending multiple afternoons I finally understood the locking mechanism and the correct steps for assembling and disassembling the door handle, door lock and actuator.
    I checked everything and the door is properly aligned. You can trigger the central lock with an open door by pushing a small button on the latch striker while locking the door.
    If the door had been misaligned, the error would not occur when the door is open.
    However I found the error and it has been a faulty actuator. I have to take a look inside to see what's wrong with it.
    With my newly obtained assembly knowledge changing the actuator only took about 10 minutes because
    nothing has to be disassembled. The actuator can be taken out directly by simply inserting a credit card or similar between the lock tab and the actuator.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    you are getting faster, here a video, How to remove door lock latch on BMW E34 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Py1nhh7-w he also has a part 1

and as you are from Germany: Hier Bilder E34 Schloss vor/nach 1991, 26 Seiten Anleitung Tuerschloss und Drehfallenschlossmechanik https://docplayer.org/43317139-Anlei...-i-m50b25.html
    = differences in locking system E34 before/after 1991

ZKE training video E34 ZKE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ4yJtHnzms
    ZKE E32 http://www.e32-schrauber.de/bmw/s-zke.htm

Please add built year and months to your car profile, important
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    07/95 BMW E34 520i Sedan
    Please add built year and months to your car profile, important
    Done.

Thanks for the links! I watched all the videos I could find on the topic on Youtube.
    The ah525i24ve34 documents are always a good starting point.
    The problem with those docs and the videos is that they are missing crucial information on assembly, disassembly and design features.
    Not even in Bentley's or other German literature does it say, for example, exactly how to dismantle the lock and door handle. So, I have created my own guide.

The lock cylinder/door handle and lock can be separated within the door and do not need to be removed together. To do this, insert the car key into the door lock, turn it to the right and hold it in position.
    Insert a pin or small hex key under the eyelet of the linkage at the lock so that the eyelet does not fall back into the lock housing when the linkage is removed. The lock has a hole and a guide in the housing for this purpose.
    Then, the linkage between the cylinder and the lock can be pulled out of the locking mechanism at the lock. After that disassembling the handle is pretty straight forward as described in other guides.
    When installing the lock in the door, follow the same procedure and insert a small hex key or pin underneath the eyelet of the linkage.
    Install the lock and connect it with the linkage hanging from the lock cylinder.

lock5.jpg
    Last edited by bimmerbernd; 04-14-2024 at 10:00 AM.