Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eBay cast iron turbo manifold

My Cars
    1995 E36 M50 soon to

eBay cast iron turbo manifold

Ok guys, I have search the forums and have not found any info on the cast iron manifold from ebay. So, has anyone used this manifold and how have the results been. Price is exceptionally good for cast iron. I'm considering trying it and posting my results if no one has already done so.

Thanks for your feedback.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-91-95-325I-325IS-6CYL-E36-TURBO-MANIFOLD-92-93-94-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem563f37f3a9QQitemZ37042 7818921QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries
    Last edited by 95RedBMWe36M50; 09-22-2010 at 10:52 AM.

My Cars
    tite
    same as treadstone. works fine, been used many times. i used one flipped upsidedown in a m50 e34

My Cars
    1995 E36 M50 soon to
    Thanks for the reply. Think I'm going to give it a try as my turbo requirements are fairly mild.

Thanks again

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51
    Quality is good, spool is slow.

"Believe nothing you hear, half of what you read"

My Cars
    Max PSI STG 1 e46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender13Bender View Post
    Quality is good, spool is slow.
    How slow is slow ? and what is the horsepower limit on the treadstone manifold.
    Alpine White --- E46 M3 --- Maximum PSI --- Precision 6266 --- Custom 3" Exhaust --- Statusgruppe --- Varrstoen ---
    The rest is just smoke and tires
    -Snails- The real reason the tortoise beat the hare.-

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51
    Stock M50, .140 HG, 50 Trim Turbonetics, full spool around 4k.

My Cars
    1995 E36 M50 soon to
    Typically, spool range is determined by the exhaust A/R sizing. Example, a .63 A/R hot side will start spooling around 1.5K up to 4K. While a .82 hot side starts spooling around 3.5K on up to 6.5K or so. My particular Turbo is a Garrett T3/T4 with a cold .60 A/R, 57 triim stage 5 compressor wheel, and a .82 A/R hot side. I'm setting at 1 bar and am shooting for 300 + HP at the crank on my M50.

Stock M50, .140 HG, 50 Trim Turbonetics, full spool around 4k.

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Wouldn't SPOOL be dependent on how quickly the system can pressurize (piping, IC, turbo, etc)
    and the compression ratio of the engine?
    (among other variables)

A manifold is very partially the determining factor for spool.

My Cars
    1995 E36 M50 soon to
    I'm not sure if compression is a factor in spool rate, and yes, how quickly a turbo spools is dependant on how fast the system can pressurize. Since my turbo is fairly modest in size, it should spool fairly quick even with my lower displacement engine.

What I was talking about is the RPM range at which a turbo functions. Turbo's, as you probobly know, are not linear like SC, and unfortunately operate in specific RPM ranges. The reason for twin turbo cars is to cover the entire RPM range with forced induction. One turbo has a smaller hot A/R and the other has a larger hot A/R.

Also, I must pre-qualify myself. I am not a turbo expert (yet) and am still building my car. So, if there is any experts that can comment, it would be appreciated.
    Last edited by 95RedBMWe36M50; 09-24-2010 at 08:53 AM.

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51
    Quote Originally Posted by milKt View Post
    Wouldn't SPOOL be dependent on how quickly the system can pressurize (piping, IC, turbo, etc)
    and the compression ratio of the engine?
    (among other variables)

A manifold is very partially the determining factor for spool.
    Yes, however, I had the cheap ebay stainless manifold on there first, which of course cracked.

With that manifold and the exact same setup, full spool was around 3200rpm.

My Cars
    1995 E36 M50 soon to
    What is your exhaust A/R?

Yes, however, I had the cheap ebay stainless manifold on there first, which of course cracked.

With that manifold and the exact same setup, full spool was around 3200rpm.

My Cars
    1994 325iS
    i'm just a newb, but i believe Fender13Bender is correct. spool is not only determined by the sizing of the turbine, but by the flow characteristics of the manifold. though i think that he is refering to the $100 tubular manifolds. the cast iron log manifold floating around ebay is a copy of the treadstone manifold, it is such a simplistic and straight forward design that i doubt they would mess up the flow characteristics. with the setup that the OP is shooting for, he should see full boost(1 bar) around 4,500-5,000 rpm
    Last edited by shunn; 09-24-2010 at 11:45 AM.
    '94 325iS mods: Motegi Ro_Ja Formula 7 17x7 w/ 225-45ZR17 tires, BavAuto High-Performance Ignition Coils, Scorpion cat-back exhaust

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51
    .63 I believe

My Cars
    Max PSI STG 1 e46 M3
    On this particular manifold running a blowthrough maf. so id be venting to atmosphere not recirculating. can you run the waste gate right off the end of the manifold. also if I wannted to run a larger diameter could I punch the hole out and slip a bigger one on there ?
    Alpine White --- E46 M3 --- Maximum PSI --- Precision 6266 --- Custom 3" Exhaust --- Statusgruppe --- Varrstoen ---
    The rest is just smoke and tires
    -Snails- The real reason the tortoise beat the hare.-

My Cars
    tite
    hayoooo back from the dead, thinking about doing another top mount using a ebay cast manifold... anyone else got any opnions or facts on the flow of these things? my old one with a 16cm hx35 spooled pretty damn late.

my other idea is build a log probably. don't want to buy anything in case it doesn't clear my chubby borg warner in a e46

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    THe manifold is going to have the smallest effect on spool time. You probably had a late bloomer because a 16cm is a large exhuast housing.

With a 12cm, i can see full boost by 3200 in the higher gears. Possibly earlier if i can really load it.
    328i Sedan Twin s366's, 6.0LS, TH400, MS3 Ultimate
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

My Cars
    1991 BMW 325i
    the one i have, is nearly twin scroll and it looks like it should have been twin scroll. There is a little divider that it looks like they cut down. I am going to add the divider, and run a twin scroll hx35. At this point you couldn't use the wastegate provision(it sucks anyways) and I will put the wastegate on the exhaust housing of the turbo.

After I add the divider, and CNC port it(the port are like hexagons???) i think it will perform great. I don't see how it should be a bad manifold. A cast is a cast right? I look at the inside and it looks just fine. I think it will perform well. At least for low power daily.

OT. How much power can I make through an auto trans in a 92 325i? I kind of want to blow it up for fun. I have spare clutch and trans when it breaks.

My Cars
    tite
    http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=121270204603# anyone seen this one before?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTM4OFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqZ,!oIFB(p6C2ZKBQprLB(vY!~~60_3.JPG
    Last edited by 7808; 10-17-2014 at 12:26 PM.

My Cars
    turbo e36
    ^ those have been around for a lil bit.. Spa copy with worse fitment.

I have on my car ATM, for $80 spools fine, and no creep. I have about 3k on mine no crack. But installation was hell on earth....

My Cars
    tite
    Nice.. where u find one for 80? I ordered one, dont care about fitment as long as it bolts up to the head fine. Gona flip it and make another top mount adapter. Dont like plumbing and mounting from below. Might block the wg port and add my own if i have room
    Last edited by 7808; 10-17-2014 at 03:39 PM.

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    I'm probably going to try one of these out myself. I figure I can probably upgrade to an SPA later but would like to keep the price down before then. Would I be better off with the eBay treadstone one or the ebay SPA one? Or ebay just ebay and it's not going to make much difference.
    1997 328is - Megasquirt PNP, Holset HX35, Deka 80lb injectors, SPA T3, Precision PW39 WG, Synapse Synchronic BOV, DKM Organic Twin Disc Clutch, Innovate LC-2 W/B, Mishimoto Intercooler, Mishimoto Catch Can, Mishimoto Rad, Devils Own Meth, Porsche 911 calipers with E46 M3 rotors, Corsa Exhaust

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
    I'm probably going to try one of these out myself. I figure I can probably upgrade to an SPA later but would like to keep the price down before then. Would I be better off with the eBay treadstone one or the ebay SPA one? Or ebay just ebay and it's not going to make much difference.
    Just get the SPA now. Not a knock off. They aren't that bad. I sell them at $475 shipped , and I'm pretty sure the vendors on here can do even better. Its really not worth it when you are expecting to have to change it out later. Remember when you do need to change it, your out the money on the eBay manifold and also fluids, gaskets , and a lot of time. The spa is a great manifold.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    Just get the SPA now. Not a knock off. They aren't that bad. I sell them at $475 shipped , and I'm pretty sure the vendors on here can do even better. Its really not worth it when you are expecting to have to change it out later. Remember when you do need to change it, your out the money on the eBay manifold and also fluids, gaskets , and a lot of time. The spa is a great manifold.
    Korrekt
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51
    Not only that, but the turbo will be mounted in different locations so the downpipe at minimum will have to be modified.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Not only that, but the turbo will be mounted in different locations so the downpipe at minimum will have to be modified.
    +339
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast