Thread: 97 m3 automatic transmission issue!? please help.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 sedan

Exclamation 97 m3 automatic transmission issue!? please help.

Need help!!! I have a 97 m3 sedan automatic. My dash board start showing a warning sign or symbol like this ! inside of a gear. I check it online and says it is a transmission issue or problem. Don't know where to start? but i check underneath the car it has small amount of oil around it not sure if it's transmission but it's on the transmission pan.

Need help where to start my DIY if i can or any opinion thank you..

just a beginner for bimmerforums god bless you all bimmers out there..great website for bmw fanatics

My Cars
    330ci, 2013AcuraTL AWD
    5/6 speed swap time,

Sorry can't say anything els I know nothing about autos

My Cars
    1989 Geo Metro
    That light is for the limp mode. Is your car stock? Most importantly what were you doing when the light came on?

My car used to be auto, and I've seen that light many times.

My Cars
    e55
    Check: your mass air sensor (may need to replace it.)

Custom Dyno-tuned Eurocharged| Eurocharged Headers |Filthy Habits Mid-Pipe | Filthy Habits Intake | PLM | BWK | 010 | KW | Meisterschaft

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 sedan

Smile

it's a 5 speed auto, engine and tranny match vin number. So i assume it has never been replace car has 187k miles on it but engine runs and sound like it still around 30k miles on it. all stock power everything, brake rotor need replacing brake pads still have 80% left. center control light is on everytime i press the brake put a check brake light failure. I drove it probably a mile then the light ! inside a gear starts to come out and was steady but if i turn on the car light is off, after i drive it the lights turn on dash. while driving i feel the gear changes from 1st to 2nd but after it gets warm it;'s steady on 1st i don't feel any shift on the transmission my rev goes up to 5000 rpm. not sure also if there is a ground problem everytime i turn on everything light start to dim or fluctuating. hope you guys can help me out or give me an idea where to start..

thanks and god bless you all bimmers

My Cars
    '97 M3/4, ''23 T4R Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by mylesM3 View Post
    it's a 5 speed auto, engine and tranny match vin number. So i assume it has never been replace car has 187k miles on it but engine runs and sound like it still around 30k miles on it. all stock power everything, brake rotor need replacing brake pads still have 80% left. center control light is on everytime i press the brake put a check brake light failure. I drove it probably a mile then the light ! inside a gear starts to come out and was steady but if i turn on the car light is off, after i drive it the lights turn on dash. while driving i feel the gear changes from 1st to 2nd but after it gets warm it;'s steady on 1st i don't feel any shift on the transmission my rev goes up to 5000 rpm. not sure also if there is a ground problem everytime i turn on everything light start to dim or fluctuating. hope you guys can help me out or give me an idea where to start..

thanks and god bless you all bimmers
    Get your alternator/battery checked.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 sedan
    thanks guys...i'll let you all know

My Cars
    1989 Geo Metro
    The transmission has 186k on it. Its dead. Time to swap it to a manual. The transmission isn't even rated to handle the power the car has in stock form. So it's only a matter of time. The problem with your transmission is that its failing and going into limp mode. You need to get it out of there.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 sedan

Exclamation

volfinator: how much would you think it will cost me if i switch to manual or still keep automatic? thanks for the idea and recommendation..

My Cars
    1989 Geo Metro
    Staying automatic is a waste of time. Switching to a manual can be done for about 1300 bucks if you do all the work yourself. Its not that hard, I swapped to a manual tranny in a tiny ass garage not even big enough to open either door all the way.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 sedan
    volfinator: do you mine if you or can show me the step by step how to swap it from auto to manual let me know so i can probably do that way. I have replace japanese transmission but not on a bimmer hope it's almost similar thank you again...you rock

My Cars
    1989 Geo Metro
    I have no desire to come to Nevada to swap a tranny without being paid heavily. There's lots of DIY's around here. Just look around

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    FYI this transmision is rated at 310NM so it easily handles the 235hp from the M3 engine.
    First order of business before speculation is to get your codes read on this car. Where?
    Autozone for one but this might be a dealer thing just to know where you stand.

I suspect zero maintenance on your transmission and before getting carried away post what the codes are. It may well be too late to pull the pan and do a fluid and filter change now.

My auto lasted well over 200K miles so there is no telling what you might find.
    It is a hell of a lot simplier to replace the auto with the same auto than do a 5 spd swap.

You can find a good used 80K miles M3 tranny for 200-400 bucks all day long. I have a spare with 80K miles I paid 103 bucks for.

A good Indy shop can swap it in for you too by the way for probably around 300 bucks.

Everyone loves a manual but you know what not all of us are able to have a manual when family members can't drive it.

You are at a point of decision so I would suggest getting your codes read, post them and see what some ideas are. If you like a manual this would be your excuse for chucking the auto and going with the 5 spd.

I was raised on manual trannys in all farm vehicles so I am not anti-auto but my wife of 36 can't...

My Cars
    1989 Geo Metro
    Quote Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
    FYI this transmision is rated at 310NM so it easily handles the 235hp from the M3 engine.
    First order of business before speculation is to get your codes read on this car. Where?

I suspect zero maintenance on your transmission and before getting carried away post what the codes are. It may well be too late to pull the pan and do a fluid and filter change now.

It is a hell of a lot simplier to replace the auto with the same auto than do a 5 spd swap.

You can find a good used 80K miles M3 tranny for 200-400 bucks all day long. I have a spare with 80K miles I paid 103 bucks for.

A good Indy shop can swap it in for you too by the way for probably around 300 bucks.

Everyone loves a manual but you know what not all of us are able to have a manual when family members can't drive it.

You are at a point of decision so I would suggest getting your codes read, post them and see what some ideas are. If you like a manual this would be your excuse for chucking the auto and going with the 5 spd.

I was raised on manual trannys in all farm vehicles so I am not anti-auto but my wife of 36 can't...

Engine makes 240hp and I'm pretty sure the ZF 5HP18 is rated for less power than the engine produces. I can't find anything to back this up however.
    Last edited by Volf; 09-22-2010 at 10:59 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 sedan

Exclamation

volfinator: anyway thank you for that.

fun2drive: i think you have a point there here they are charging 700 for replacement i'm not sure if that is reasonable or good deal also. how would i know if it's the right auto tranny that i'm going to put on my m3. Also my wife drives an auto can't drive a 5 spd. Also can I DIY this tranny to my car with out any help from a bimmer expert i'm just in too fixing rice rocket, not sure if that is enough knowledge to work on bimmer

thanks guys you guys are awesom...

My Cars
    1989 Geo Metro
    If you're decent with a wrench you can swap the transmission. If you're just going to be installing a new automatic transmission it'll be pretty easy. Just keep track of how everything comes apart. Teach your wife how to drive a manual?

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 sedan
    awesome volfinator great help i'll be starting it in 2 weeeks from now so i'll let you all know wats happening and if i have question let you guys know...thanks again a many..i'll teach her once i got another 5 spd m3 for my get away..hahaha take care guys...god bless you all...

My Cars
    '06 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Volfinator View Post
    Engine makes 240hp and I'm pretty sure the ZF 5HP18 is rated for less power than the engine produces. I can't find anything to back this up however.
    You are correct as far as manual transmission cars are concerned.

It's on Page 2 under Technical Information and listed as 310 Newton meters Input Torque which converts to 228.6 foot pounds:
    http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/u...cars/5HP18.pdf

From www.bmwregistry.com (Drivetrain section for North American S52 Engines compared to S50 Engines):
    -Horsepower unchanged at 240 hp (SAE) at 6,000 rpm
    -Torque increased to 236 lb/ft at 3,800 rpm (up from 225 lb/ft at 4,250 rpm)
    NOTE: E36 M3s equipped with the ZF five-speed automatic transmission are rated at 225 lb/ft of torque at 3,800rpm.
    Last edited by Dave1965; 09-23-2010 at 03:53 PM.
    2008 Sequoia
    2001 E55
    1998 M3 (RIP thanks to Hurricane Sally)
    1982 320i (ditto)
    2006 525i

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 sedan
    thanks dave

My Cars
    1989 Geo Metro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1965 View Post
    You are correct as far as manual transmission cars are concerned.

It's on Page 2 under Technical Information and listed as 310 Newton meters Input Torque which converts to 228.6 foot pounds:
    http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/u...cars/5HP18.pdf

From www.bmwregistry.com (Drivetrain section for North American S52 Engines compared to S50 Engines):
    -Horsepower unchanged at 240 hp (SAE) at 6,000 rpm
    -Torque increased to 236 lb/ft at 3,800 rpm (up from 225 lb/ft at 4,250 rpm)
    NOTE: E36 M3s equipped with the ZF five-speed automatic transmission are rated at 225 lb/ft of torque at 3,800rpm.

The engines don't make less torque. BMW just changed the rating of the engine to appease the boys at ZF. The engine itself is no different from a manual transmission car.

Kind of like how cars power ratings are over/under rated from the factory compared to what they actually make. Did the car manufacturer have no idea the engines made more power than advertised? Of course not.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 sedan
    car is not drivable anymore have to wait to get a price for a auto transmission can anyone give me advice or diy link for changing the tranny on my car i really do appreciate it...Just don't want to hurt or ruin other things in the car thanks so much in advance..

also have codes that pulled out :
    P0733 Gear 3 incorrect ratio
    P0734 Gear 4 incorrect ratio
    P1421
    P1423

hopefully you can guys help me out thanks,,,mylesM3

My Cars
    '97 Z3 1.9 DASC Auto
    P1421 is secondary air pump flow too low
    P1423 is evap code

Incorrect ratio means the input/output speed sensors for the transmission are not within allowable tolerances. This can be due to 1) low tranny fluid causing the clutches to slip 2) bad input or output sensor or 3) bad clutches in the transmission

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i

Specs

I thought I was right on the hp being different but this is right out of my literature I got with my car.
    Nope it is 240 HP and here are the torque figures.
    Good luck with your car.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    I like the sensibility of this guy :-)

Quote Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post

My Cars
    98/M3/4, 05 M3 Vert
    Had a similar problem but mine has about 45k less miles. Mine turned out to be very low on tranny fluid and needed a new Throttle Position Sensor.