Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October Drive - Castle Rock to Cripple Creek

My Cars
    1985 535i, 1980 635CSi

October Drive - Castle Rock to Cripple Creek

Mark your Calendars!

A group of BMWs from Denver/ CO Springs plan to drive up to Cripple Creek on October 17 (Sunday). We will meet at the Shell station at Wolfensberger Rd in Castle Rock at 10 A.M. From the way it looks we will be joined by Ninetyshilling who is driving all the way from Grand Junction (270 miles!) to take part in the drive and also to show off his 1988 BMW 635CSi Turbo (Alpina replica).
    The plan is to meet up around 10 and depart soon after. Then we drive up along HWY 24, stop for lunch up in Cripple Creek, enjoy each other's company, and run back home.

We are trying to get a nice group for what may be the last drive of the year. If you can make it, we would be thrilled to have you join the group!

The blue is the route to Cripple Creek, and yellow is back to Castle Rock.

My Cars
    Pile-o-Parts shaped like
    sounds like fun. ...wish i had a running bimmer... or atleast the free time to fix one of them myself :P

My Cars
    2011 335is
    i may be able to come to this depending if i have to work or not but ill try and make it

My Cars
    99 M Roady Evergreen
    Is there a place in Colorado Springs where your're gonna stop for whatever reason? My son and I will probably join the merry little band of bimmers as you pass through the Springs....

My Cars
    2011 335is
    its lookin pretty likely that ill be able to come on this drive lol.
    hopefully theyll be a ton of cars.

My Cars
    1985 535i, 1980 635CSi
    I'm not sure how many people are going from Co Springs. I may be coming from Denver that morning.

But call Rainer S, he will be heading up and likely willing to meet you:
    719-659-1654

Probably the last of the year. We thought it would be fun to open it up to all the locals. Not sure how many people will be going, but it should be fun.

My Cars
    2011 335is
    yea ill be heading down from aurora that morning too lol

My Cars
    1985 535i, 1980 635CSi
    Reminder, this is only two weeks away!!

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Sounds fun guys. I wont be there but take lots of pics

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3
    i should be able to make this. heading out from USAFA if a C springs group wants to meet somewhere.

02' M3 CB/Cinn, PSS9 Coilovers, 60 LED Angel Eyes, DICE IPOD Integration, LED tails, and stuff.

My Cars
    2011 335is
    im sure theres gotta be a bunch of the springs guys we can get to some up to castle rock haha what happened to all of them?

My Cars
    2011 335is
    im sure theres gotta be a bunch of the springs guys we can get to some up to castle rock haha what happened to all of them?

My Cars
    2011 335is

My Cars
    2011 335is

My Cars
    '06 MCoupe, '11 328Xi
    I am probably coming, and may bring a few with me.
    '07 SilverGray MCoupe | '11 SpaceGray 328Xi

My Cars
    See Sig
    If I show, can I ride along with different vehicles to shoot my camera out of the passenger side(s)?

- Erik
    • 2009 Mini Clubman - John Cooper Works [JCW] - 1.6 liter turbocharged 16v I4

Pattern Draft Imaging - "...Where Engineering Discipline and Photography Merge as One..."

My Cars
    1985 535i, 1980 635CSi
    Reminder for one week out!

Quote Originally Posted by bluefox280 View Post
    If I show, can I ride along with different vehicles to shoot my camera out of the passenger side(s)?

- Erik

I'm sure we could work something like that out!
    I already have a passenger but I know others don't. Come on out, it should be fun!

My Cars
    2011 335is
    im not gonna have any passengers so anyone who wants to ride shotgun is welcome to.

My Cars
    1991 325iX
    anyone have an estimate for a head count?

1991 325iX

My Cars
    '06 MCoupe, '11 328Xi
    Anyone coming down from the north? I am in Erie and will be meeting at the Shell station if all else fails.

My Cars
    1985 535i, 1980 635CSi
    I know of at least 7 people including myself and bimmerman25.
    If Gladius and esteener both come that would make 8.

Then there were at least 6 others who were not 100% sure they would be able to make it or not.

It should be a great last drive of the year.

My Cars
    2003 M5, 1995 M3 GTR
    I might be in for the last summer drive. I am coming from I-70 and C-470 if i make it down. I will be in a white e36 M3 anyone coming from that way?

My Cars
    M Coupe, M3/4/5, E30
    There is a very slight chance I might make it. If so I'll PM you Gladius and we can caravan.

Isn't the section from Castle Rock to Hwy 24 dirt? I did a drive from Woodland Park to Deckers to Bailey once and found myself on dirt. I considered cutting back to Castle Rock that way, but recall thinking it was more dirt so I just chugged along to Bailey. Has anyone driven this exact route before. Just curious...
    Cloudbase aka Alex
    Life on the Lee-Side BLOG, Hang Gliding YouTube Channel

My Cars
    1985 535i, 1980 635CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudbase View Post
    There is a very slight chance I might make it. If so I'll PM you Gladius and we can caravan.

Isn't the section from Castle Rock to Hwy 24 dirt? I did a drive from Woodland Park to Deckers to Bailey once and found myself on dirt. I considered cutting back to Castle Rock that way, but recall thinking it was more dirt so I just chugged along to Bailey. Has anyone driven this exact route before. Just curious...
    Yes there is a small section of dirt.As we meet in Castle Rock, we will also discuss an alternate route since there are about 2.5 miles unpaved road on Hwy 67.

Picking up CO 67 out of Sedalia the road is paved all the way to Sprucewood (approx 13 miles from Sedalia)

At Sprucewood (you'll see the Sprucewood Inn on your right) the road will fork and the pavement ends, both options are gravel

Now the tough part...

If you take the right fork, it is the shortest route to get to the paved road and head south. It's just a bit over 2 miles of gravel. The bad part is it's pretty darn steep. It's actually signed to discourage truck with trailers. On a street bike the pucker factor is pretty high. Guys with GS's and dirt experience won't have too much problem, but guys that are street riders on street tires will probably cringe.

Now if you take the left fork...it's about 4x longer, but much gentler over all.

On sunday hopefully we will find an alternate route that will avoid any gravel roads.

My Cars
    '06 MCoupe, '11 328Xi
    Yeah, I'm not interested in driving on 2 miles of gravel...
    Let me know if there is an alternate route, otherwise I will have to reconsider.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast