Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Tire Questions!

My Cars
    2013 X3

Question

I just recently bought staggered contours and now its tire time! What do think about tirerack.com? And have you used or know anything about sumitomo or kumho tires? Thanks for all of your info!

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    i'm guessing you mean the Kumho 712's?

don't know much about them, but they make a great race compound tire. i've used a set for auto-x'ing one time and began spanking M3's all over the place. then again, I also did that on a set of Nitto NT555R's too.

if the price is right on the Kumho's go for it. persponally, when my pirellis run down, i'm going to buy a set of Bridgeston RE730's.

My Cars
    Tesla MS
    I ran Kuhmo Ecsta tires and I love them! They are the best tire at that price.

Current - 01 330CI
    Former Pilot of the following
    E36 M3/2 CosmosSchwarz- gone 7/08
    E38 740il Oxford Grün - gone 7/04
    E36 M3/4 Artic Silber - gone 6/01

CCA# 187884 since 5/00

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2000 323iT
    I haven't been too happy with my Supra 712s - the dry traction is really unacceptable.

It depends what function your car serves and how you drive it. To their credit, the 712s do keep rolling noise to a minimum and are at an excellent price point.
    Nick

1998 M3 Estoril • 2000 323it TiAg sport 5 spd

My Cars
    BMW 530i
    i've heard both sides for the Kumho 712 tires.... some complain and say they dont stick very well in the dry, especially the M3 people... they dont like it very much. I saw an M3 owner on saturday running kumho's and asked how they were... his simple reply was "they suck."
    Other's say its bang for the buck, meaning for $100 if they stick at all im happy.

i'd try and go for the Bridgestone Potenza RE730s....
    Richard

My Cars
    04 S4
    That "they suck" statement probably came from me

As mode said, dry traction lacks relative to the best DOT legal tires available (not including DOT-approved R compound tires) , but you really can't argue with the price. This is truely a you-get-what-you-pay-for tire.

I would put them in a class by themselves in that there is no other tire you can get in that size for so little $$$. I'm guessing they'd appeal to show car owners where you can get the larger diameter, lower profile tires for low cost at the sacrifice of performance.