Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Detailed DIY for CVV Overhaul for the M52TU Motor

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Fantastic DIY Graham!!! Beautiful pictures and caption!

For those who need M52 CCV, ICV, Intake Manifold gasket procedure, I wrote it up here (this is for 1997-1998 528i):
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=379225

My Cars
    BMW
    Thanks guys for the kind remarks!

BimmerM3inGA,

Thank you for the detailed reply. Your story will be very helpful to others!

The Hella MDK throttle is a nice piece. I treated it the same way I would treat a precious hard drive (on removal from a computer), with great reverence.

Don't be afraid to rotate the throttle vane when cleaning, after all, you rotate the throttle vane with your right foot when driving.
    Last edited by Graham E39 528i; 01-21-2011 at 04:53 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i

ICV Grommet

How did you get the ICV gromment out? Was it brittle, and did it come apart?

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by adp1977 View Post
    How did you get the ICV gromment out? Was it brittle, and did it come apart?
    I used pliers. It wasn't brittle and could have been reused. I replaced it anyway.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 5MT
    I'm following Graham's DIY (thanks!) and the youtube video from Bavauto (which is for an M54 on an E46) and I'm doing the CCV replacement right now (taking a short break). It turned out my CCV and hoses were original from 5/2000 (build date 6/2000). So they definitely needed replacement.

At the moment the CCV and hoses are installed, and now all the other stuff needs to go back on.

A couple of notes:

1) I ordered the "cold weather" CCV parts. There was 0% chance that the new CCV was going to fit with all that insulation on it. Maybe if you pulled the intake manifold to do the job, but it will not fit with all that insulation if you're following this below the manifold procedure.

I removed the insulation on the side of the valve that touches the center of the intake manifold. I was able to leave the insulation on the other side. I live in Southern California so I'm sure I'll be OK... but I like to make updates/upgrades when possible.

2) The small diameter vacuum hose does not have a port to connect to on this new style CCV. I'm guessing that it's superfluous and can be capped off at fuel rail?

Any comments are welcome...
    --
    2001 E36 Z3 3.0 5MT/Sport - back to 3 pedals, current FUN car, part time DD
    2000 E46 323iT 5AT/Sport - damned AT lost reverse, sold on an project car
    2009 E92 335i 6MT/Sport - escaped the PRC, sold to a good home, sorely missed
    2000 E39 528i 5MT/Sport - escaped the PRC, sold to a good home, missed

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
    Where does vacuum hose 11727545323 from the CCV attach to on the other side?
    Good question! In the image below, the end of the vacuum hose is shown by the arrow* (attaching to the thin metal pipe).

*The photo was ganked from the Beisan Systems website (the arrow is mine).

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    Turns out that on the 530i M54, this hose is capped at the CCV.
    Does this sound legit? If yes, one less thing for me to do....!

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i
    Let me add my thanks for the great write up, Graham. I just removed my CCV and will carefully clean the throttle and ICV before reinstalling. Replacing the Distribution Piece as well, thanks to your recommendation. I can honestly say I would not have made it without your fine instructions.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i/5
    How did you guys reconnect the throttle body electrical connector? I got it off, got it back on (twisting with great force) took it off again, now it won't twist back on for the life of it. My car is a 1/2000 build date, M52tu

My Cars
    E36 M3, X5 4.6is, E85 Z4
    You have to make sure the rotating sleeve on the connector is turned all the way so the little arrows line up. Then it should go back on without too much trouble. Make sure you twist the outer ring until it clicks into place. And while you're at it, make sure to put some dielectric grease on the contacts.

1998 ///M3/4/5 | 1999 528iT | 2003 Z4 3.0i

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by kentk View Post
    Let me add my thanks for the great write up, Graham. I just removed my CCV and will carefully clean the throttle and ICV before reinstalling. Replacing the Distribution Piece as well, thanks to your recommendation. I can honestly say I would not have made it without your fine instructions.
    Thank you!

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerM3inGA
    You have to make sure the rotating sleeve on the connector is turned all the way so the little arrows line up. Then it should go back on without too much trouble. Make sure you twist the outer ring until it clicks into place. And while you're at it, make sure to put some dielectric grease on the contacts.
    Thanks man, this is exactly what I needed to know- I looked it up online and it shows how you "unlock" the connector prior to putting it on the TB. I did this days ago but didn't see the thread until now.

My Cars
    E60

Ccv problem

Will this be same on my e60 2004 m54 520i
    Last edited by Funky mark; 12-29-2012 at 08:08 PM.

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    is it possible to differentiate a failure in the CVV system vs. a vacuum leak somewhere else in teh engine? If so, how would I do that?
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    bmw 520i M52TU reg. 2000
    Hello Graham,

nice work, maybe you could help.

I do have a project 6 cyl inline, E39 BMW 520i manual. Almost the same as yours.

As example there was a picture made by Bluebee on 2002 BMW M54 engine on inlet manifold [FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]this PLUGGED PORT (I think 7mm cap) but on your E39 528i is visualy a hose connected to something? Could you tell me where the hose go please?
    [/FONT]
    Kerk

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky mark View Post
    Will this be same on my e60 2004 m54 520i
    Welcome to the forum! Yes, almost exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by m3j0n View Post
    is it possible to differentiate a failure in the CVV system vs. a vacuum leak somewhere else in teh engine? If so, how would I do that?
    It depends which part of the CVV has failed. A vacuum leak will usually cause the engine to run with the wrong fuel/air mixture. Eventually, you might get a CEL. In general, you would need to give us more information.

Quote Originally Posted by kerk View Post
    Hello Graham,

nice work, maybe you could help.

I do have a project 6 cyl inline, E39 BMW 520i manual. Almost the same as yours.

As example there was a picture made by Bluebee on 2002 BMW M54 engine on inlet manifold [FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]this PLUGGED PORT (I think 7mm cap) but on your E39 528i is visualy a hose connected to something? Could you tell me where the hose go please?
    [/FONT]
    Kerk
    Welcome to the forum! Who is Bluebee? The mixed in HTML is making it difficult to understand. Could you rephrase the question?
    Last edited by Graham E39 528i; 03-17-2013 at 12:39 AM.

My Cars
    BMW Everything
    This is a really good write up. I actually used it as a reference for when I did my CCV refresh yesterday. Only difficult part that I had was getting the connecting line to snap to the upper part of the valve. I have pretty large hands and there's not a lot of room. The parts I took off were beyond worn. To put it gently, they pretty much disintegrated. I was happy to find that there wasn't too much sludge and I didn't find the "mayo" in the lines either which is a good sign.
    Lifetime Replacement Guarantee, Free Shipping on $49+, and Hassle-Free Returns.
    FCP Euro - OEM & Genuine European Auto Parts Online

My Cars
    E85 , E90 , E39T
    Thanx for this. Got me through the fix with no problems. The "S" tube was actually easier than the damned MDK throttle body electrical connector. The plug must be in the locked position prior to installation into the throttle body. Hold the receptacle housing in your left hand and turn the outer locking ring away form you until it snaps into place. Between the 2 arrows is a small window. When you removed the connector the window is open with a small yellow mark. After locking it, there will be a red pin in the window. Align the lower of the 2 arrows on the connector with the arrow on the throttle body, press into place and turn the locking ring toward you. Done. I spent 45 minutes messing with this thing before I decided to check my TIS manual.
    2000 528i Touring - 102k miles
    2003 Z4 3.0 Sport Premium - 49k miles
    2006 325i Sedan - 69k miles
    BMWCCA 478976
    I have a car for everything !!

My Cars
    BMW
    Thanks guys.

threeOZ, I will point people to your excellent MDK connector hookup advice in the DIY.
    Last edited by Graham E39 528i; 05-19-2013 at 01:47 PM.

My Cars
    E85 , E90 , E39T
    I would have included screen shots from the TIS, but was concerned about copyright.
    2000 528i Touring - 102k miles
    2003 Z4 3.0 Sport Premium - 49k miles
    2006 325i Sedan - 69k miles
    BMWCCA 478976
    I have a car for everything !!

My Cars
    2000 528i
    Outstanding. thank you. Will refer to this if my new valve cover does not fix issue.

My Cars
    2000 528i
    Doing this next Friday. Along with oil filter housing, intake, throttle body gaskets. Lets not forget our buddies like o-rings, vaccuume lines, and grommets. Bllllllehhhh....
    Deej

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i
    Blast! About to tackle the CCV project myself, and all I can see in the thread is praise for how awesome Graham's DIY was. The DIY itself was apparently taken down :P Does anybody have a PDF or other copy, by any chance? It would be very much appreciated!

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman67 View Post
    Thanks man, this is exactly what I needed to know- I looked it up online and it shows how you "unlock" the connector prior to putting it on the TB. I did this days ago but didn't see the thread until now.
    Do you know how to get a stuck connector off the TB without breaking it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast