Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: True M-Sport differences

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Excellent, thanks everyone! We're going to make sure to specifically mention this is a Canadian spec vehicle. Onto the next set of problems for major flaming, the automatic transmission and the M badge on the back of the car :P

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Scolirk View Post
    Excellent, thanks everyone! We're going to make sure to specifically mention this is a Canadian spec vehicle. Onto the next set of problems for major flaming, the automatic transmission .
    The 540 was made from the ground up to slush on the bahn.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    A couple things about the 2001 Canadian spec car (I own one ). The 2001 came with 17" style 66 double spoke staggered wheels. The 2002-2003 models came with 18" staggered M-parallel wheels. Also, all year M-Sports in Canada came with the M5 rear trunk lip spoiler, which the USA version did not get.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by f355spider View Post
    A couple things about the 2001 Canadian spec car (I own one ). The 2001 came with 17" style 66 double spoke staggered wheels. The 2002-2003 models came with 18" staggered M-parallel wheels. Also, all year M-Sports in Canada came with the M5 rear trunk lip spoiler, which the USA version did not get.
    Interesting! I'm looking at a photo we took of it at a Cars and Coffee we did last week, looks like he's got Style 65s on there right now, not sure if they're authentic or reps. As for the trunk lid lip I'll see if he's still got that on!

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Interesting! I'm looking at a photo we took of it at a Cars and Coffee we did last week, looks like he's got Style 65s on there right now, not sure if they're authentic or reps. As for the trunk lid lip I'll see if he's still got that on!
    M5 wheels? That would not be an original option
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    M5 wheels? That would not be an original option
    Definitely not! I'll make sure to ask him if they're genuine or not. Looks good on the car either way though!

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I have a true M sport Canadian 2001 540 that came with the full black interior, headliner and all, the full aerodynamic body option, M sport2 suspension, Style 65 rims from the factory.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    I have a true M sport Canadian 2001 540 that came with the full black interior, headliner and all, the full aerodynamic body option, M sport2 suspension, Style 65 rims from the factory.
    Except for the wheels, same as mine I've got staggered Style 66 wheels. I imported mine myself, purchased in 2003 through a broker in Vancouver, BC (it was still under factory warranty). Do you have the original gauge cluster reading KPH? I had the gauge panel swapped out at the BMW Store in Vancouver, BC to USA spec, then drove to the border with my paperwork, paid customs duties (almost 3%) and I was good to go. Took it to the local DMV and registered it, as well as transferred the warranty into my name from BMW Canada to BMWNA.
    Last edited by f355spider; 06-28-2017 at 02:15 PM.

My Cars
    too many
    Excellent, thanks everyone! We're going to make sure to specifically mention this is a Canadian spec vehicle. Onto the next set of problems for major flaming, the automatic transmission and the M badge on the back of the car :P
    When I bought mine I believe the seller claimed M-sport, they had added an M badge on the back. Window sticker says just sport. I really need to pull that badge soon, just been too busy.

The End.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Except for the wheels, same as mine I've got staggered Style 66 wheels. I imported mine myself, purchased in 2003 through a broker in Vancouver, BC (it was still under factory warranty). Do you have the original gauge cluster reading KPH? I had the gauge panel swapped out at the BMW Store in Vancouver, BC to USA spec, then drove to the border with my paperwork, paid customs duties (almost 3%) and I was good to go. Took it to the local DMV and registered it, as well as transferred the warranty into my name from BMW Canada to BMWNA.
    I actually didn't realize that my 540 was anything special until one night on here, someone asked me a question about my interior, my head liner was anthracite, and the question was, about me swapping it out to the one that is in it now. I bought it from a used car dealership like that, here in Arlington VA, with 112,000 miles on the clock for $6200 out the door. The speedo was already swapped out, I don't have much knowledge about the car, but for the info we found from the vin, Lo and behold, turned out my car was a Canadian spec car, 2001 Msport, style 65's and all.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    I actually didn't realize that my 540 was anything special until one night on here, someone asked me a question about my interior, my head liner was anthracite, and the question was, about me swapping it out to the one that is in it now. I bought it from a used car dealership like that, here in Arlington VA, with 112,000 miles on the clock for $6200 out the door. The speedo was already swapped out, I don't have much knowledge about the car, but for the info we found from the vin, Lo and behold, turned out my car was a Canadian spec car, 2001 Msport, style 65's and all.
    Cool, your VIN tag in the drivers door jam should have a Maple Leaf moniker on the federal inspection tag. Also, if you still have the air bag tags on each sunvisor, they are in English/French. Those are two easy ways to ID a Canadian market car, beyond the gauge cluster if it was not swapped. (they are technically supposed to be swapped to enter the USA, but people find ways to sneak them in on occasion) If a gauge cluster has MPH in lower case, then no change is required, but BMW only has KPH on theirs.

That is interesting that the M5 wheels (style 65) were available with the M-Sport package, as I have not seen any in the Vancouver, BC area with that set up. All the 530 and 540s I have seen with the M-Sport package had either the style 66 or the M-Parallels. I learned something new. I have a 2002 Canadian E39 brochure and in that year, it only listed style 66 and M-Parallels. Style 66 with the M-Sport package and M-Parallels with the M-Executive package. M-Executive was similar to the M-Sport but added headlight washers, rear sunshades and some other options on top of the M-Sport package, and the M-Parallel wheels.
    Last edited by f355spider; 06-28-2017 at 07:20 PM.

My Cars
    540i6 540iT 318ti
    That is interesting that the M5 wheels (style 65) were available with the M-Sport package, as I have not seen any in the Vancouver, BC area with that set up. All the 530 and 540s I have seen with the M-Sport package had either the style 66 or the M-Parallels. I learned something new. I have a 2002 Canadian E39 brochure and in that year, it only listed style 66 and M-Parallels. Style 66 with the M-Sport package and M-Parallels with the M-Executive package. M-Executive was similar to the M-Sport but added headlight washers, rear sunshades and some other options on top of the M-Sport package, and the M-Parallel wheels.
    Actually, no surprise at all. Any wheel that fits is an option to a new buyer from a dealer. If it's different than what car was delivered with, the dealer is motivated to 'upgrade' the cu$tomer and it's like they can't spare the labor for pure profit. Could even be a 'takeoff' set from a real M5.
    Canadian cars can be very cool too, there's also the e34 ///M540. An M5 in all but engine. And a healthy M60 is pretty much the match for your average S38 3.6L
    There's a reason it got punched out to 3.8 at the end.
    Then there was that e30 touring with an S50 that was only road legal in NA cause Canada.

Many a cool Jap car was legal there but not here originally.
    Hang up & Drive!
    Jerry .. 85 Toyo MR2 140K .. ( 20V wiring gremlins *grrrr* )
    Björn .. 03 BMW 540i///M 148K .. ( beat up allstar *oof* )
    Gerta .. 03 BMW 540iT&A 151K .. ( chain guide triage *shakes head* )
    Franz .. 96 BMW 318ti 207k .. ( the new, new daily *GRIN* )
    Wendy .. 20 Honda Refrigerator 28k .. ( for the wife and kids, has flappy paddles? *squint* )
    Resistance was Futile...

"Now, it takes me three months just to fix a door lock because .. crying babies" - rammstein

My Cars
    540i6 540iT 318ti
    Now, RE true MSports, every box checked in build sheet. 03 only in usa
    This is a car that deserves debadging. Delete spoiler option is a start, but IMO taking some floss to that badge is teh ultimate in sleeper status.
    I've also downgraded wheels to 16" Rial Salernos ..... just for fun. Still wrapped in Conti KDs (no W)
    Actually, these were Bjorn's winter set till he no longer has this duty. And tires were left over from Helga, the e34T&A. Original 18" MPars were replicas, so bye-bye

My preferred kit would be real forged 18" square set.

Staggered setup is for peeps who are scared of power on oversteer
    Hang up & Drive!
    Jerry .. 85 Toyo MR2 140K .. ( 20V wiring gremlins *grrrr* )
    Björn .. 03 BMW 540i///M 148K .. ( beat up allstar *oof* )
    Gerta .. 03 BMW 540iT&A 151K .. ( chain guide triage *shakes head* )
    Franz .. 96 BMW 318ti 207k .. ( the new, new daily *GRIN* )
    Wendy .. 20 Honda Refrigerator 28k .. ( for the wife and kids, has flappy paddles? *squint* )
    Resistance was Futile...

"Now, it takes me three months just to fix a door lock because .. crying babies" - rammstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12