Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: True M-Sport differences

My Cars
    E34 525i/5, E38 740i

True M-Sport differences

Can anyone outline the differences between a 540i/6 M-Sport and a regular 540i? Does the package add much value?

What would you guys pay for an excellent condition 2001 540i/6 M-Sport, Silver/Black, 126K miles? The prices I am seeing for E39's are all over the place.
    Last edited by jfj707; 09-17-2010 at 11:22 AM.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport
    May want to include the year of said 540i/6 M Sport and a list of options. Any maintenance records, etc???

My Cars
    E34 525i/5, E38 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyFTR View Post
    May want to include the year of said 540i/6 M Sport and a list of options. Any maintenance records, etc???
    Not sure of the options other than the M-Sport package. Maintenance records for 7 years. Year of the car has been added =)

My Cars
    645i; X5 4.8i; 525iT 5sp
    Planning on crossing over I see. You won't be disappointed. As much crap as the e34 clan throws at this car. Sport package is key (in stock guise anyway)! My only gripe so far is drive by wire.
    Last edited by Lord DRIFT; 09-17-2010 at 12:35 PM.
    I love to flap my paddle..

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Was there an M-Sport package in the US other than in '03? I sure didn't see any when I was shopping for E39s.

The M-Sport package is mostly cosmetic additions over the regular Sport package(frt/rear bumpers, different rear exhaust section, side sills, shadowline trim, shift knob, steering wheel?).

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport
    Assuming it's a very clean 01' 540i/6 Sport, maintenance issues have been addressed I would think this car should be in the $9K range.

My Cars
    03 540iA M-Sport
    This is what I can piece together from various sources. The M-Sport package was only offered in the US for the ‘03 model year and was designated by a specific order code. This option code only shows up in the production codes for ’03 model year here in the US. That’s not to say there were no E39 sports in the previous years. They were just not at the same packaging level with as many items included.

IMO the ’03 M-Sport was the height of the sports option packaging for the non-M5, E39 model. The sub parts of this package contained some items directly taken from the M5 mixed with other items specific to the M-Sport package. For example, the front bumper cover has the same part number as the M5 unit. The difference is when applied to the M-Sport package, the lower mesh grill insert has a "t" bar that is painted the same color as the exterior versus the M5 that has only the mesh. This gives it a slightly different look than the M5. The suspension also uses many of the same forged aluminum parts as the M5 but substitutes slightly softer springs & sway bars to account for the M-Sport's lower weight of approx. 200 lbs. Below you will find the specific items from the production code for my 03 540iA M-Sport that I believe pertain to the package:

P337A M SPORTS PACKAGE
    S202A STEPTRONIC
    S481A SPORT SEATS F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
    S705A M SPORT SUSPENSION II
    S710A M LEATHER STEERING WHEEL
    S715A M AERODYNAMICS PACKAGE
    S760A INDIVIDUAL HIGH-GLOSS SATIN CHROME (shadow line)
    S775A INDIVIDUAL ROOF-LINING ANTHRACITE
    S780A M LT/ALY WHEELS PARALLEL SP.MIXEDTYRE BMW

I read somewhere that included with the steptronic option came a performance high-stall torque converter along with a 3.15:1 rear differential gear ratio for cars that had the auto trans.

BTW, I've seen '02 sports go for $11-14K dependent upon the mileage and/or condition.

Last edited by BCBJr; 09-17-2010 at 01:20 PM.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    Was there an M-Sport package in the US other than in '03? I sure didn't see any when I was shopping for E39s.

The M-Sport package is mostly cosmetic additions over the regular Sport package(frt/rear bumpers, different rear exhaust section, side sills, shadowline trim, shift knob, steering wheel?).

The primarly difference is the suspension. The 2003 M-Sport package included the M-Sport Suspension II. This included M5 struts/shocks, and presumably M5 springs. Otherwise, yes, mostly cosmetic stuff, but very COOL cosmetic stuff.

BTW, the M-Sport package was sold in all other markets (canada, UK, Asia, etc) from 2001 to 2003, and you could even get it on a 530 and in Europe a 525! The 6 cylinder cars did not get the M5 shock/struts though.

I have an 2001 540 M-Sport out of Canada, it is identical to the 2003 USA car except mine came with 17" Style 66 staggered wheels, and the M5 lip spoiler on the trunk. Not sure why, but the USA cars did not come standard with the M5 trunk spoiler that all other markets got.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    The '03 M-Sports do NOT have M5 springs. No idea on the shocks, they all look the same really, and all wear out very early.

I think the M-Sport Suspension II is the same as the earlier M-Sport suspension for all purposes. They also ride about the same as an M5 with the exception of the swaybars, so the ride frequency is likely the same or very close between an M5 and a 540i sport package car.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    The highlighted options are the only ones that are additional to the 2003 (M) Sport Pkg versus the sport pkg offered on the 99-02 540iA:
    • P337A M SPORTS PACKAGE
    • S202A STEPTRONIC
    • S481A SPORT SEATS F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
    • S705A M SPORT SUSPENSION II
    • S710A M LEATHER STEERING WHEEL
    • S715A M AERODYNAMICS PACKAGE
    • S760A INDIVIDUAL HIGH-GLOSS SATIN CHROME (shadow line)
    • S775A INDIVIDUAL ROOF-LINING ANTHRACITE
    • S780A M LT/ALY WHEELS PARALLEL SP.MIXEDTYRE BMW (except the 03 540iT...it & previous sedan/Touring sport pkgs included 17" wheels)

The 540i/6 has always been a "sport" model from it's inception...meaning that it was optioned with a suspension geared toward sport handling versus the 540iA. Then BMW offered ala-carte "optional" sport features on the automatics in 1998...then in 1999 the sport pkg started receiving inclusive features many of them listed above that aren't highlighted.

There is a thread in the FAQ that gives EVERY feature & options for the e39 from 1997-2002. Find that thread and you can see how things progress and change based on model year. As I keep reiterating...the sport pkg is NOT one-size-fit-all...it changes from model year to model year, and model to model. Sometimes things are added, sometimes things were removed.

BTW, the 3:15 rear end is not exclusive to the 03 540i M-Sport Pkg...the 540iT has had them since the 99 sport pkg option.

EDIT: here ya go...if you really want to know what's in the various sport pkgs...here's a direct link to the thread in the FAQ that gives the model option info for every year & model from 1997-2002: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...3&postcount=11
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-17-2010 at 06:47 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    E34 525i/5, E38 740i
    OK, he claimed it was an M-Sport. I guess it is just a sport =)

My Cars
    M52 5MT Sport 01/98
    People claim all sorts of things on online sales! Good to do your research and know for sure before getting tricked into buying something that was falsely represented.
    Rules to live by:
    - Fast, reliable, cheap. You can only have two.
    - Do it right, or do it twice.
    - BMW: Just because you can afford to buy one, that doesn't mean you can afford to own one.

1998 528i 5-speed sport - sandbeige with technical graphite trim - Jim Conforti Shark Injector - CDV delete - MY2000 M5 Xenon headlights - MY2000 M5 tails - PP M5 front bumper - E46 M3 paper filter - E60 545i shifter w/ E46 ZHP knob - 12" Alpine Type-R & 500w RF - CD53 w/ AUX input

My Cars
    E34 525i/5, E38 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by weasel like View Post
    People claim all sorts of things on online sales! Good to do your research and know for sure before getting tricked into buying something that was falsely represented.
    Oh, I know it... somehow "immaculate" gets used a lot to describe an interior which, at best, does not have cigarette burns and torn seats... I always run the VIN and check the car out thoroughly before buying one

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by jfj707 View Post
    OK, he claimed it was an M-Sport. I guess it is just a sport =)
    This happens a lot...even enthusiasts at times add the "M" to the 99-02 sport pkg. And it's kind of easy to call it that (by a casual owner/seller) since there are "M" markings on the steering wheel, and if you have the 540i/6...I believe the gear shift knob has the "M" emblem on it.

So that's why there are threads like the one that I linked to in the FAQ...which spells out exactly what was offered on the e39 with a year by year list of additions/changes/retractions. And you'll see, if you hang around, some of our fellow forum members even tend to shoe-horn all sport pkgs into a ONE-SIZE-FIT-ALL when this topic comes up...when the answer to this oft asked/discussed topic arises and the answer is right there in the FAQ at the top of the e39 forum.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    645i; X5 4.8i; 525iT 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    T wheel, and if you have the 540i/6...I believe the gear shift knob has the "M" emblem o
    My 530i/5 does also

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Remember that part of the sports package includes the software upgrade, which means higher shift points for the auto and the speed limiter is OFF FTW! Not sure if this was included in all sports models though...Q is the real expert on e39 matters!

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    645i; X5 4.8i; 525iT 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by 12CoolDude View Post
    Remember that part of the sports package includes the software upgrade, which means higher shift points for the auto and the speed limiter is OFF FTW! Not sure if this was included in all sports models though...Q is the real expert on e39 matters!
    Seems odd to have to pay the factory to remove a limiter. Are you sure about this? I thought the limiters were placed to satisfy the suits in legal.

My Cars
    '98 528i 98k 5-SPP
    Quote Originally Posted by BCBJr View Post
    .... the front bumper cover has the same part number as the M5 unit. The difference is when applied to the M-Sport package, the lower mesh grill insert has a "t" bar that is painted the same color as the exterior versus the M5 that has only the mesh. This gives it a slightly different look than the M5.
    Why M-sport came up with that particular grill and the T-bar isn't strictly for looks, but to provide the requisite air ducts for maintaining existing brake cooling functionality. The M-sport grill has clips behind the grill to attach air ducts onto, and the ducts then channels all the way through the fender liner to force the air onto the brake discs.

The M5's grill is closed off at the two ends, with no means to duct forced air through the back side of the fender liners.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by 12CoolDude View Post
    No

IIRC the speed limiter was set at like 130 in non-sports and set at 155 as all other cars in the sport models

If that is not true, then all cars were limited at 155. BMW has not and will not sell a top speed unlimited car to the US population.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    645i; X5 4.8i; 525iT 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    No

IIRC the speed limiter was set at like 130 in non-sports and set at 155 as all other cars in the sport models

Seems iffy to get a higher limit because you got a sport package also. I dunno

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA

Cool Certainly goes faster than standard models...

Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    No

If that is not true, then all cars were limited at 155. BMW has not and will not sell a top speed unlimited car to the US population.
    OK...I am only repeating what I have been told but I know for a fact (and from experience) that the 130mph limit is off on my sports model and the 155mph max is on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord DRIFT View Post
    Seems iffy to get a higher limit because you got a sport package also. I dunno
    Well, that certainly is the case and I can only recommend that you look it up. Also know for a fact that I have the taller gear ratio as well. I was provided with the factory spec sheet for my y/m and you can get one too if you request it from the dealer with the proper owner paperwork and your VIN.

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Hate to resurrect an old thread, but I want to ask quickly before I go to production on a new video. I'm filming a 2001 (production date 13/2/2001) 540i with M Sport Package. It is a Canadian car. The VIN decoder gives me all the options mentioned above:

• P337A M SPORTS PACKAGE
    • S202A STEPTRONIC
    • S788A BMW M Lt/aly Wheels

I want to make sure that this is considered a 'M Sport' model before I get roasted on the internet after publishing it. Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    1999 540i
    Just make sure to mention that it's a Canuck model, and that they got them before the US and you should be safe.

My Cars
    '13 E70 35D
    Quote Originally Posted by Scolirk View Post
    Hate to resurrect an old thread, but I want to ask quickly before I go to production on a new video. I'm filming a 2001 (production date 13/2/2001) 540i with M Sport Package. It is a Canadian car. The VIN decoder gives me all the options mentioned above:

• P337A M SPORTS PACKAGE
    • S202A STEPTRONIC
    • S788A BMW M Lt/aly Wheels

I want to make sure that this is considered a 'M Sport' model before I get roasted on the internet after publishing it. Thanks in advance!
    it's the internet, you'll be roasted anyhow lol. Those options seem to check the correct boxes....

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 M-Sport
    Looks good to me!

2003 BMW 540i M-Sport: 6-speed swap, BC Racing Coilovers, DUDMD Tune, M60 Intake Manifold, Custom Exhaust, Polished M-Pars,
    Technical Graphite Trim w/ cupholder delete, E46 M3 tri-color stitched steering wheel,
    Dyno'd @ 253whp/291wtq (dynojet) before intake manifold swap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast