Thread: How to tell if a water pump is bad?

My Cars
    m3

How to tell if a water pump is bad?

Besides the obvious overheating, how can i pinpoint that the water pump is on it's way out.

My Cars
    2008 M3 AW on Fox
    Hard to say.
    I just removed one from my car. It was an OEM BMW plastic impeller pump with 65,000 miles on it. It had no leaks of any kind and spun freely. The impeller was all intact. It looked like new. I replaced it with one with a metal impeller to be safe.
    Last edited by egebhardt; 09-24-2010 at 04:06 PM.
    08 Alpine on Fox Red - Bot 1.19.23 in Spearfish
    97 Byzanz on Black M3/4/A - Sold 7.14.21 to Behzad of Newark

97 Byzanz on Magma M3/4/A - Sold 7.7.17Jerad in CO

98 TiSilver on Black M3/4/A - Sold 7.19.17 Jono driving it
    96 Boston on Dove M3/2/5 - Sold 10.28.17 Benny and Suad
    98 Estoril on Dove M3/4/5 - Sold 9.23.13 Garrett driving it
    98 Arctic on Dove M3/4/5 - Sold - 4.2.13 - Ron driving it
    98 Estoril on Dove M3/2/5 - Sold 8.6.12 Thy driving it
    99 Estoril on Sand M3/2/5 - Sold 7.31.12 Eric driving it
    98 Arctic on Dove M3/2/5 - Sold 3.10.12 Kyle driving it
    96 Techno on Black M3/2/5-Sold 6.13.09 Ross totaled it

My Cars
    E30/325i, E39/M5, E36/M3
    There's no simple way to tell.

You might be able to determine what temperature rise accross the engine is, by shooting metal temps with a IR temperature gun, thermocouple or RTD. My guess that a normal temperature rise from inlet to oulet is going to be 15 to 20 degF.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by conway View Post
    Besides the obvious overheating, how can i pinpoint that the water pump is on it's way out.

Its just a shaft on a bearing, and an impeller...

Sometimes the bearing fails, sometimes the impeller cracks/breaks. There really is no way to know if its about to die or not. If you are at 75k on the water pump, its probably a good idea to change it.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    m3
    If i'm overheating at speed, is that a sign of the water pump can't keep up. I've never over heated on the highway before. Outside temps were only 73 degrees.

My Cars
    '97 M3, '04 ZHP coupe
    How can one tell if the water pump has been replaced? Is there an obvious visual difference between the stock one and the metal impeller one?

My Cars
    1984 325e, 1995 M3
    oh yea you can tell. stock one's impeller is made of plastic and it's black. I had just replaced mine with a metal impeller and it's color is....well metallic colored.

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    To clarify.
    There are two waterpumps on the market at this time that have non metallic impellers.

The first are the discontinued ones that are still in aftermarket stock. these have true plastic impellers.
    The second are the units with composite impellers that are currently being sold by BMW factory parts dealers.

If your car overheats in motion, replace the water pump.
    If it continues to overheat and the cooling system has been bled, then you'll be looking at a headgasket leak or remotely, a clogged radiator.

m

My Cars
    E36
    if the bearing is going out, the water pump will (sometimes) start to leak from that area.

also, when it gets really bad...the fan/fanclutch will wobble pretty bad...to the point that it will break the fan blades off (did this twice).

However, mine was not overheating, just showing those symptoms.

I just picked up a 325 that is overheating -but I'm guessing it's the Tstat (no leaks/fan is tight).

However, might aswell do both while I'm in there.

as for your issue, it may need a bleed? or you tstat is sticking.
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    '99 BMW ///M3/2/5 Coupé
    don't know...
    I had mine replaced when I changed the radiator, Tstat and those stuff in cooling system, cuz I was using a mechanic and trying to save on labor then. ps, I did the cooling system at ~137k mi
    GO HOKIES

My Cars
    are slow.
    If i'm overheating at speed, is that a sign of the water pump can't keep up. I've never over heated on the highway before. Outside temps were only 73 degrees.

That is not good.

You probably have air in the system, or your waterpump is shot, there is a clog, or your thermostat is stuck, something is very wrong.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    2017 Range Rover Sport
    There are a couple of tell-tale signs.

1. If you pull the belt off and grab hold of the pulley, try and wiggle the pulley to see if there is play in the bearings. If the bearings are worn you will notice definite play and you should replace the pump. "Play"
    means you can feel movement.
    2. When the pump is really worn out you will see fluid leaking out the weep hole.

There is no way to tell if you have plastic vs. metal. If you know the mileage since the last pump was replaced and it is more than 75k miles, it's a good idea to replace it. If you don't know the mileage and there are more than 75k on the car, and the pump isn't nice and shiny, then replace it.
    Shane K.
    '12 Mercedes Benz GL 350
    '13 328i
    '94 325i JS Race

My Cars
    Mmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Moron95M3 View Post
    if the bearing is going out, the water pump will (sometimes) start to leak from that area.

also, when it gets really bad...the fan/fanclutch will wobble pretty bad...to the point that it will break the fan blades off (did this twice).

However, mine was not overheating, just showing those symptoms.

I just picked up a 325 that is overheating -but I'm guessing it's the Tstat (no leaks/fan is tight).

However, might aswell do both while I'm in there.

as for your issue, it may need a bleed? or you tstat is sticking.
    Had the WP go out on my old e36 325i, and recently on my 97 M3. Both times they went out, different symptons

325i: Driving to work, heard a couple of clunks as i ran over what I thought was road debris. By the time I pulled into the parking lot, the car died and wouldnt start. Radiator fan broke to bits, pump completely seized.

M3: heard random squeals from the engine, saw a check coolant message. Next day, random squeals again, noticed coolant had all drained out. Pulled the pump and it had a metal impellar, looked visually fine. Noticed a tiny bit of wobble in the bearings and figured that's what caused the somewhat slow coolant leak and random squeals. New pump was composite (not metal) as the reviews seemed more favorable.

Hope this helps

My Cars
    1998 328is
    You sir have the best signature I've seen in a while
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    99 528i 5speed Alpine white(Totaled Unfortunately)
    Oil pan and timing chain delete, weight reduction right?
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Easy answer. If it's never been replaced in your car, go buy a Stewart pump and install it (and do belts at the same time because why not).

PS - nice thread necromancy

My Cars
    E60, E46

Water pump delta temperature

Quote Originally Posted by DLite View Post
    There's no simple way to tell.

You might be able to determine what temperature rise accross the engine is, by shooting metal temps with a IR temperature gun, thermocouple or RTD. My guess that a normal temperature rise from inlet to oulet is going to be 15 to 20 degF.

If the pump is running, there should be very small difference across the pump. Like less than one or two degrees.
    If pump is not running, then there will be a larger temp delta...could be 10 degrees plus. Not much natural circulation occurs (where the cool water from radiator- higher density- pushes the higher temp water (lower density).

Bottom line is when the water pump is working, the temperature across it should be nil.

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2012 C63
    Quote Originally Posted by ugeeks View Post
    Bottom line is when the water pump is working, the temperature across it should be nil.
    Thank you for making your fourth post in three years a correction of a seven year old post.

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    If the radiator is not plugged up or blocked of airflow and assuming a plastic impellor hasn't come apart, you may just have a thermostat that no longer opens as much as it should as the engine heats up. Even a leaky water pump will still pump coolant. Also, make sure you're tensioner is still tensioning.
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe 2005 X5
    I have some very slight play in the pumps pulley but with the thermostat off I may just do the pump too while I am in there. I have 35k miles on the pump. I hear so much talk metal impellers are better but at Napa they went from metal to plastic and the plastic costs more. With all these various schools of thought on impeller material I am tempted to just leave the pump in but I sometimes like to really wind up the car for a while on some hills and I hear if you lost a pump it could be too late to save the head once you noticed the gauge rising. Does anyone use some kind of overheat alarm that would alert you right away in case of a temp increase?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Just put a Stewart pump in and don't worry about it anymore.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    e24 M6 / e36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by M3X3X5 View Post
    I have some very slight play in the pumps pulley but with the thermostat off I may just do the pump too while I am in there. I have 35k miles on the pump. I hear so much talk metal impellers are better but at Napa they went from metal to plastic and the plastic costs more. With all these various schools of thought on impeller material I am tempted to just leave the pump in but I sometimes like to really wind up the car for a while on some hills and I hear if you lost a pump it could be too late to save the head once you noticed the gauge rising. Does anyone use some kind of overheat alarm that would alert you right away in case of a temp increase?
    Yes, buy a digital gauge that plugs into your obd port