Thread: Need help diagnosing engine issue

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000

Need help diagnosing engine issue

Ok, after fixing the disa seal intake seal leak and replacing the fuel filter (made a huge difference) I feel more confident in the engine being able to perform. The issue now is if I floor it in first gear at 1300 rpms it almost feels like turbo lag, cuts out for half a second followed by a sudden burst of power....
    What are your thoughts? Vanos seal or camshaft sensor?

Thanks
    Last edited by newtoe46; 09-14-2010 at 12:36 PM.

My Cars
    2001 325Ci
    Is this all the time or periodically? Cause I wanna say camshaft sensor...
    Now they dropping and yelling, it's a tad too late, Nate K and Rayzah Blade had to regulate.
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even thank her." ~W.C. Fields
    Two tone leather boots, CF B&R emblems, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED sidemarkers, CF interior layout, Suwoo highbeam bowls
    Rooted Droid2 running stock overclocked to 600 MHz

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by NDubSki View Post
    Is this all the time or periodically? Cause I wanna say camshaft sensor...
    Periodically, and not all the time sometimes its not as bad as others; it only does it when it is floored or fed power under 2000 rpms.
    Last edited by newtoe46; 09-14-2010 at 01:35 PM.

My Cars
    2000 323Ci RIP, e34 525i
    I actually have a similar problem. Mine does pretty much the same. Starting in first gear it seems like it stumbles when floored at low RPM and then surges. I always thought it was either a fuel problem or some kind of vacuum leak. Do you have any other symptoms or anything else that you thought was a bit out of place with your car? That might help the diagnosis.

My Cars
    2001 325Ci
    VANOS would be rough idle/hiccups at low RPMs... I think its camshaft sensor

Jet, you got VANOS problems I think
    Last edited by NDubSki; 09-14-2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Now they dropping and yelling, it's a tad too late, Nate K and Rayzah Blade had to regulate.
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even thank her." ~W.C. Fields
    Two tone leather boots, CF B&R emblems, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED sidemarkers, CF interior layout, Suwoo highbeam bowls
    Rooted Droid2 running stock overclocked to 600 MHz

My Cars
    2000 323Ci RIP, e34 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by NDubSki View Post
    VANOS would be rough idle/hiccups at low RPMs... I think its camshaft sensor

Jet, you got VANOS problems I think
    You're probably right about that. I haven't done anything with the VANOS yet. I guess that's all the more reason to crack it open.

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetblack2000Ci View Post
    I actually have a similar problem. Mine does pretty much the same. Starting in first gear it seems like it stumbles when floored at low RPM and then surges. I always thought it was either a fuel problem or some kind of vacuum leak. Do you have any other symptoms or anything else that you thought was a bit out of place with your car? That might help the diagnosis.
    Upon fixing the leaking seal on the DISA valve I noticed the valve had play when in the open position which may create turbolence on the air traveling through. I haven't inspected the CCV or hoses for vaccum leaks.

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    UPDATE: New VANOS seals fixed the issue.