Thread: E36 M3 Turbo build with lots of pics

My Cars
    1995 e36 m3 turbo

E36 M3 Turbo build with lots of pics

hey, Im new to the site. Trying to get active on this board so i thought i would post my Turbo M3 build I just finished. All Plumbing/piping/manifold etc was custom fabricated by me. All done on a very low budget!

Info on the car. Its a 1995 E36 M3 with a 3.0 S50 motor. All stock internals with a thicker MLS head gasket (.070).
    Turbo is a Garrett 50 trim.
    Top mount Manifold is made by me out of sch 40 steel.
    Downpipe is made by me and is 2.5 inch and goes into a 3 inch exhaust with a vibrant muffler. (no cats or anything)
    Wastegate is a 38mm and is vented to atmosphere out the side of the car. (Side Exhaust looking vent right behind passenger front wheel).

Right now its running with a pretty bad (soooo rich) tune good for 8PSI. I have an even more thicker MLS head gasket (.140) that I will be installing once i get some time. Once that is on I plan on running 15-20 PSI. Also planning on a different turbo with lower boost, something like a gt35 or t61 etc... ummm think thats about it.
    Let me know what you guys think... http://s743.photobucket.com/albums/x...o%20m3%20pics/

My Cars
    2013 x1, 99 cherokee
    Looks pretty good for keeping it on budget! How is it tuned and what injectors?

Where in IL are you? There is a pretty big group of turbo e36s around here

ohh and btw, .070" headgasket is stock thickness
    Luke
    03 330i

My Cars
    1995 e36 m3 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by M3_MadBimmer View Post
    Looks pretty good for keeping it on budget! How is it tuned and what injectors?

Where in IL are you? There is a pretty big group of turbo e36s around here

ohh and btw, .070" headgasket is stock thickness
    thanks, I am in libertyville IL. also, 42lb injectors. your right on the head gasket, it is one thicker than stock from MLS whichever one that is...

My Cars
    91E30TURBO, 98 E320, 05 600 GSXR
    What are you using for tuning. Its really interesting. I think the 50trim with .140 hg and more boost should be sick fun !!!!!

My Cars
    1995 e36 m3 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by T70 M20 TURBO View Post
    What are you using for tuning. Its really interesting. I think the 50trim with .140 hg and more boost should be sick fun !!!!!
    I would rather not say who did the tuning for it because its the worst tune known to man lol. A place did it on a dyno using tunerpro and ostrich emulator. once the thicker HG goes on it will be running AA software (already talked to them and given them info on the setup).

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Nice build!! Can you still retain AC with the manifold?
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    2013 x1, 99 cherokee
    Quote Originally Posted by nowboostedm3 View Post
    thanks, I am in libertyville IL. also, 42lb injectors. your right on the head gasket, it is one thicker than stock from MLS whichever one that is...

Ohhh alirght, I'm down south a bit off I355. Let me know if I can ever be of help.
    Luke
    03 330i

My Cars
    1995 e36 m3 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
    Nice build!! Can you still retain AC with the manifold?
    Thanks, and yes AC is still retained but its not hooked up (no belt on it) right now. It needs a new AC line (broke during engine install) then it will be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by M3_MadBimmer View Post
    Ohhh alirght, I'm down south a bit off I355. Let me know if I can ever be of help.
    For sure, I would love to see your car sometime too!
    Last edited by nowboostedm3; 09-13-2010 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    turbo m3
    I can't pm you. Anyways, I was wanting to talk to you about the manifold. Basically, i can install the manifold while the engine is still in the car and I don't have to change any ac lines, correct?
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    1995 e36 m3 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
    I can't pm you. Anyways, I was wanting to talk to you about the manifold. Basically, i can install the manifold while the engine is still in the car and I don't have to change any ac lines, correct?
    you can email me at bobbyjcallen@aol.com.

Anyway, Im not sure if the manifold I made could be installed with the engine in the car or not. I pulled the motor to help line everything up while I was making it then bolted it on and put the motor back in the car. But I did have to take the manifold off and put back on a few times after that to made the bend and flange for the turbo to bolt up. I did it by just lifting the engine up maybe a foot or so to get to all manifold bolts/nuts then dropped it back down on the motor mounts. So if i didn't already pull the motor i could have installed it pretty easy considering i wouldn't really need to disconnect any wires or anything because im only lifting the engine up a little not taking it out.
    So to answer your question, you might be able to get away with putting a manifold on with the engine in from underneath the car but it would take a lot of patience and some crazy tool contraptions (sockets connected to wobble socket to another extension socket etc) to get to all the bolts/nuts. I wouldnt want to do it that way, its much easier to just take two motor mount bolts off then pull the engine up a foot then drop back down and reinstall the two motor mount nuts.
    And yes no new AC lines are needed, I cracked one of the AC lines a little and just cut off the whole line in frustration instead of trying to repair it. easy fix tho once I have some time. But ya All AC components remain in stock form.