Thread: Windshield Washer RESERVOIR Leak Fix

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K

Windshield Washer RESERVOIR Leak Fix

My Windshield Washer RESERVOIR Leaks a bit at the Filler Neck (where the Tubing joins the Reservoir), so I decided to freshen things a bit! If your Windshield Washer has been leaking, the good news is all this can be fixed for approx. $10.

Expanding Rivets x 3: PN: 51478166992 ---> $0.66/each
    Grommet w/ Strainer: PN: 61667006063 ---> $4.24/each
    Grommet: PN: 61311369343 ---> $3.13/each

It can leak at the:
    - Filler Neck (where it enters the Reservoir)
    - Windshield Motor
    - Level Sensor

Time: 1 hour.

PROCEDURE:

1. Passenger's Front Wheel removed, car on Jackstand.

2. Remove the Plastic Wheel Liner. I did it the "lazy" way and lift it up just enough to do the job.
    - 8-mm screws hold the Plastic Liner.
    - The three (3) "Expanding Rivets", don't even try to save the old rivets, they break when coming out, using a flat screwdriver and gently lift it out, and cut with a pair of snippers.

3. Using a Flat Screwdriver, gently lift the Windshield Fluid Motor UPWARD (Yellow arrow).

4. The Level Sensor comes STRAIGHT out (Yellow arrow):

5. Remove the two (2) 10-mm Nuts holding the Reservoir and remove it for cleaning. My fine mesh screen broke from the rubber grommet and was inside the Reservoir. Easy to remove it. Then rinse the inside the Reservoir and empty all water.

6. Tips when re-installing new parts:
    - Tiny amount of grease on the Filler Neck for a good seal. Factory has no zip ties. Mine leaks right here, so after a bit of grease (very thin smear) and 2 zip ties, it is nice and tight, no leak!
    - Tiny amount of grease (very thin smear) on both grommets.
    - Tiny amount of grease for the Expanding Rivets makes it easy as well.

Congrats on a job well-done and now you have a leak-free Reservoir!!!..........

My Cars
    00 528i, 07 VW Eos
    I'm glad you posted this. I noticed mine leaked when I filled it yesterday. Your DIY will give me something to do in the garage when it's raining tomorrow, if the dealer has the parts. It looks like you have a Siena Red car too, also with the same Bilstein struts and the 5-speed. Nice choice.
    Last edited by walpole5; 09-26-2009 at 02:20 PM.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Another one in less than 24 hours? Lol. Very nice.

Thanks cnn.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Quote Originally Posted by jimcash from bimmerboard

- About those expansion rivets. It is easy to push the small centre pin through the rivet and then the outer part easily lifts out and and can be reused. The only "trick" is to find the centre pins after you remove the liner - they should be sitting along the inside of the fender. But yes - not a bad idea to have some spares just in case.
    - There is another source of leaking that only occurs when you fill the reservoir to the top of the fill tube. On the top left of the reservoir tank there is a breather valve. It allows air to escape when filing and also allows air back in as the fluid is used. There is a tiny float inside it that closed to prevent fluid escaping when you fully fill the tank.
    If you get some fluid on the floor just after filling the tank then this is probably the source of the leak - the float is not sealing. Best to replace that breather float unit.
    Follow-up,

I am quoting Jim Cash's reply from bimmerboard as above.

1. Yes, the Exapnding Rivets can be re-used, just gently tap the center inward and it will fall down. Just retrieve them when the plastic liner is lifted up.

2. The "Breather Valve" sits on TOP of the Reservoir, if this "Breather Valve" fails, you basically have 2 options:

a. Replace "Breather Valve".

b. Or if you are too busy and have no time to replace the Breather Valve, then LEARN a new habit and do not pour Windshield Washer Fluid above the Blue Arrow and you should be fine. From the Engine Compartment, this is down the filler neck where it is just about to enter the Engine Bay:

My Cars
    2002 BMW M5
    My m5 would have the same windshield reservoir as the normal E39 5-series right... ?

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    I finally had time to replace my washer pump.

- I ordered "VDO" pump online, about $20. It is a direct fit.

- As already mentioned, I used a very very tiny amount of grease on the fittings (rubber grommet or tubing). Just make sure no grease gets inside the tubing itself!

- I replaced the following items:
    1. Washer Pump ($20 online for VDO, dealer sells this for $55!).
    2. Grommet for washer pump ($2 at dealer)
    3. Grommet for breather valve ($2 at dealer)

4. My breather valve has a very very slow leak (read on), the BMW dealer wants $25 for this useless breather valve, which is not a very good design to start with, so I elected to keep my breather valve but improvised the vent using Vinyl Tubing (I.D. = 5/16", $2 at hardware store).

-----------

1. Gather the stuff: note that in order to remove the breather valve, you need to remove the two (2) 10-mm plastic nuts to tilt the reservoir forward.
    - Fit the Vinyl Tubing over the breather valve, zip tie it.
    - Install new grommet first, then the breather valve.

2. Option A: route the Vinyl Tubing to the engine compartment.
    - However Vinyl Tubing is rated to about 160-180F, engine compartment temp is usually in the same range 160-180F.
    So this may not be a good place to route the tubing if you are concerned about Vinyl Tubing melting under heat of the summer.

- Note that I used a "Plastic Trim Screw" (used for Interior Trim work in car, this is a generic part from local autoparts store).
    Then I zip tie it. The screw allows air to vent but keep dirt from entering the Vinyl Tubing.

Notice that after 10 minutes, washer fluid enters the Vinyl Tubing (my breather valve has a very very slow leak):

3. Option B: route the Vinyl Tubing to the area behind the Fender Plastic Liner.
    - When looking upward I noticed 2 drain areas: 1 rectangular (rubber), and 1 round (metal). The rectangular is probably drain from cabin filter area. The round drain is probably from the sunroof itself.

- Anyway, note where I zip ties the Vinyl Tubing.
    - Note also that I place the Tubing in the groove next to the rectangular drain. It fits perfectly in there.
    - Just make sure when you replace the Fender Plastic Liner, the Vinyl Tubing sits correctly in the groove (stay away from the screw location!).

That is all, now I can fill my washer fluid way to the top of the neck!

My Cars
    2018 M2
    are these parts the same for all the E39's? 525-M5, touring etc?