Thread: Key FOB Falls Out of Slot

My Cars
    06 330i e90/06 325i e90

Question Key FOB Falls Out of Slot

Our 2006 325i with approx 63,000 miles has recently developed the problem of the FOB falling out of the slot. You can hear the latch as if it is trying to latch, but nothing.

The FOB can fall to the floor or you can remove it by hand and the car continuous to run with no warnings.

I do have it scheduled for service, but my dealer has not seen this problem previously. I may check with other dealers in the area to see if any have seen this problem. Just curious if anyone else has seen or heard of this problem and what the possible fix is. Haven't found much in the forums either.

Thanks.
    06 330i e90/Alpine White/Terra Dakota Leather/Steptronic/Cold Weather Package/Premium/Sport Package/CA/PDC/Xenon/Logic 7

06 325i e90/Jet Black/Black Leatherette/Steptronic/Cold Weather Package

My Cars
    98 M3 Coupe
    intereseting how your dealer has 'never' seen that problem before.

basically it comes down to the lock built into where you stick the key has failed and the only option is to replace it.

SIB 61 02 06

tell them to look that one up.
    98 Alpinweiss M3: Dinan CAI, HFM, Big Bore throttle kit, exhaust and Stage 4 software, short shifter, shiny long tube headers, koni, H&R HP#'s unknown...

My Cars
    06 330i e90/06 325i e90
    Thanks for the response.

I did talk to another dealer who has seen this on a half dozen or so over the last couple of years and indicated it would have to be repaired.

As far as my dealer, I spoke to a SA I was not familiar with. I will see my regular SA and pass a copy the SIB along.

Thanks again
    06 330i e90/Alpine White/Terra Dakota Leather/Steptronic/Cold Weather Package/Premium/Sport Package/CA/PDC/Xenon/Logic 7

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i

Having Same Problem

I have a 2006 330i and have the same problem, however it was self-inflected. My wife had our 3yr old son in the car with her as she arrived back home, she got a call so stayed in the car. My son got out of his car seat and being the tyrant that he is, began playing in the front seat. This turned into him grabbing and pulling on the FOB and basically yanking it out of the ignition slot.

So now, there is no click and locking of the FOB when inserted. It slides in and allows you to start the car and you can pull it out freely. While driving, I pulled it out and got a large yellow symbol showing no key in the ignition.

I have three questions:

1) Any idea what this would cost to get fixed? It seems that the plastic casing inside that keeps the FOB locked in is broke. The service guy at the dealer said it would likely involve taking the whole dash off, which is a few hours. I'm hoping that isn't required, but suspect it might be.

2) If the FOB is out of the ignition for a period of time while driving, is that an issue? I'm hoping there is no security where if it detects no key, it shuts down.

3) Does anyone want a 3 yrd old boy?

Thanks,

Rob

My Cars
    98 M3 Coupe
    1: not sure about the cost, but the key holder just pops out of the dash and there is one connector in the back, you dont have to pull the dash at all and could probably do it yourself at home.

2: the onyl issue would be that the key battery doesnt get recharged when its no in the slot, so the sooner its fixed the better.

3: no offense but no thanks!
    Last edited by Speedsta; 10-21-2010 at 06:46 PM.
    98 Alpinweiss M3: Dinan CAI, HFM, Big Bore throttle kit, exhaust and Stage 4 software, short shifter, shiny long tube headers, koni, H&R HP#'s unknown...

My Cars
    06 330i e90/06 325i e90
    My repair was covered under the CPO warranty, so I am not sure what the repair cost. Someone on one of the other forums responded to my inquiry and indicated that they had theirs repaired for $190.00

My dealer only took about 45min. to repair mine and don't believe they removed the dash, seems to be a holder of some sort that is removed for repair.

My Cars
    2006 330i
    @SpeedBuggy - Do you have part number that they replaced?

My Cars
    BMW
    Before you replace it... since you are not hearing a click you have to reset the lock. When the key is pulled out forcefully sometimes the lock stays open. Stick the key in and use some force to push it in further and you should hear it click back in. Then test it out a few times, you should be able to reset it like that.

My Cars
    06 330I, 11 GTI, 04 X5
    its the actual key slot that needs to be replaced-theres hall sensors inside it which go bad...

My Cars
    325i and 650i
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 2008 650i Conv and the other day the fob would not go in the slot at all. It literally would spit the thing out. You could not get it to even go in. The car would still start. When i stopped I would have to put the fob back in as it spit it back out and push the "Start/Stop" button as it would still show "key in ignition" if I did not do that step. Called BMW dealer and they thought I was crazy and knew of "no problems like that" and would not have a clue unless I brought it in and they hooked it up to the computer. In the same sentence and breath they added, "and that will cost you $175.00". UGH!!! I still have a warranty but not full.

Came to BimmerForum to look up front brake pad info as that indicator light came up yesterday and found this thread.

So, I went out and JAMMED the fob in the slot and IT WORKED!!!!!! HAPPY DANCE
    I literally screamed out, "THANK YOU BIMMERFORUMS". I tried it mutliple times and was able to easily insert the fob and it clicked just like it is supposed to.
    Love you guys!

Now, already called Indy we have used for P-car and other BMW and he will be replacing my front brake pads this week for a fraction of the cost the dealer wanted.

THANK YOU ALL!!!! If it acts up again, I'll just order the key slot and replace it myself.

My Cars
    2011 328i
    congrats mom.

My Cars
    2006 325i
    I created an account just to say THANK YOU!!

My daughter (who's 4 hours away at college) called last night and asked if it was "normal" for her car to start up without having the fob in the holder. She explained that the fob would not stay in the holder, but she could still start and stop the engine. So....used the google machine and arrived here at this specific thread.

Called her today and told her to try JAMMING the key in harder than normal...praying it would work before I began the not so fun process of finding someone to repair it from so far away. Well, IT DID WORK!

Sweet! THANKS AGAIN for your help!!

I'll take the kid. I need someone to do my yardwork and i am FAR too lazy.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530xi
    THANK YOU FORUM !!! Had same problem and started having nightmares of steelers but came to this thred -->> jammed it harder and boom , it worked. God bless Bimmerforums ��

I can vouch for this as well! Had same problem, whacked it in a bit harder than usual and bingo! All sorted! Thanks guys!

My Cars
    Yes
    Cheers, I simply put the fob in as normal but then applied extra force...... it clicked (reset locking pins) and JACKPOT issue resolved. Try that before spending your 💰

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    Now I want this problem so I can be so happy too!
    Thanks kaguirre579 .

My Cars
    Mines the same doesn't fall out though but the clips to hold it in has broke stills drives and runs. But I want to replace the reader but do I need to reprogramne my key to reader

My Cars
    2013 BMW 335is Coupe
    I'm having the same issue. I tried jamming it back in like you all suggested but that didn't work. Car is still under CPO warranty for the next few weeks but the dealer is saying that the Key FOB slot is not covered! I even called BMW NA and they said it should be covered before I went in for service. Dealer wants to charge me $319 for the part.

I don't understand why this isn't covered when it's not listed in the items not covered document that BMW NA references. I called them again and they have escalated the issue. The rep did say the console and dashboard isn't covered by CPO warranty but this an electrical/mechanical part of the ignition so I'm trying to fight it.

Has anyone else had luck getting this covered by the CPO warranty like Speedbuggy?

My Cars
    '07 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by kaguirre579 View Post
    Before you replace it... since you are not hearing a click you have to reset the lock. When the key is pulled out forcefully sometimes the lock stays open. Stick the key in and use some force to push it in further and you should hear it click back in. Then test it out a few times, you should be able to reset it like that.
    Thank you for saving me time and money... I was reluctant to do it but thought, Oh well what if it might work and it sure did... Thanks again
    Available: 101 performance projects for your 3 series BMW '82-'00