Thread: New issue with brakes

My Cars
    1982 320i

New issue with brakes

Granted I live in Arizona so it never really gets that cold here, but I've been noticing a rather unsettling difference in my brake pedal since it's started to get cold during the nights. In the morning, it'll be normally stiff, still softer than any other car I have access to drive and it it doesn't really start to work until you get close to the floor, but it's how I know it to be. But in the afternoon when I'm driving home and it's back up to 80-90, it feels like there's just NOTHING there. The pedal goes down WAY to easy, and does way to little until you start getting even further to the floor. Even if I pump it, it doesn't really firm up. It will when I turn the engine off, but when I turn it back on again, back down she goes.

How can I fix this situation? I'd like to get the brakes to start kicking in higher up too, less of a shock for other people when they take it for a spin. New pads, shoes, rotors, and drums? Or just some fiddling with the brake fluid levels?
    1982 320i - 86xxx miles and not moving for now.
    Sound : Sony Cassette + 10 disk changer, Pioneer speakers, 10'' Boss sub x 2 --- Suspesion : H&R lowering springs, Bilstien Sport shocks all around.
    1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max - 84,xxx miles
    Broken A/C, but proving to be damn reliable. Sound : 2 Boston Acustic Speakers, 8'' Punch Sub, 350 watt Kenwood amp, Pioneer CD player. Best 3 speaker system I've ever heard.

One thing at a time, the m42 comes next.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5 81 E21 72 Bav
    Robbie -- Check drum shoe adjustment first. This can make a big difference in pedal feel. Then I'd bleed the brakes. Even if you've done this a million times it's a good way to check for leaks and to make sure you're running on good fluid. If this doesn't fix your problem check the rotors and pads. Pull the rotors off and check to make sure they are within spec. Check the vacuum lines running to the brake booster. Leak here would be bad. If all that stuff checks out, look towards the master cylinder.

pads and shoes are cheap... and might help you find out what's wrong. I'd definately adjust the shoes first.

My Cars
    E21, E24, M3
    Yea adjust the shoes with the 2 eccentric bolts behind the hub, then you might have to adjust your e-brake cables after this...

My Cars
    1982 BMW 320i
    i need to look into this too. my pedal is soft but usually firms by pumping about twice. i am used to it as well but it would be nice to feel a firm pedal the first time. should i look at the same things?
    >Jared<

My Cars
    E21, E24, M3
    Yea adjusting the shoes should raise the pedal hieght and in turn firm up the pedal. Also make sure the fluid is not black and to properly bleed the brakes, I like to use a pump brake bleeder kit. Although having worn shoes and pads to the point of replacing will not go far by simply adjusting them, just more travel is needed to push the calipers/wheel cyliders to the disk/drums.

My Cars
    81 320i
    yeah i love using the power bleeder pump thing too, makes bleeding the brakes & clutch sooooo fast.....robbie if u wanna borrow it, lemme know