RM European Auto Parts

Thread: New Tires/Balance/Alignment but still pulls right

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330 XI, 2005 Mustang GT

New Tires/Balance/Alignment but still pulls right

I have a 2006 330XI that had a vibration and a pull to the left. My tires were kind of close to their end, so I drove with this issue for a couple months until the tires were down to the tread indicators. I also was waiting for the Contintal Extreme Contact DWS tires to be in stock.

The new tires are here and I had them installed. The shop also did an alignment and wheel balance. When the car was done, the steering wheel was turned right by about 5 degrees and the car pulled right. I took the car back and they re-did the alignment. The steering wheel is now straight, but the pull is the same (to the right).

The mechanic went for a ride with me and agreed he noticed the right pull. He said the alignment numbers were spot on, he checked the bushings and tie rods, the tires were inflated equally all around and the brakes/calipers don't seem to be hanging up. But the car still pulls right. Their alignment machine does not print numbers and I was not there when they did the actual alignment, so I do not have the numbers to show here.

He tried swapping the left and right tires, as well as swapped front/rear. All the while the pull has been about the same. When the brake is applied, there is no more pull than when not braking.

I did not use a BMW dealer, but did use a shop that was listed on BimmerShops.

Any other ideas on what to look for as a possible reason for the pull?
    Last edited by Kluski; 09-08-2010 at 10:03 PM.
    "As long as you can laugh at yourself, you will never cease to be amused." Unknown

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Did you write your post incorrectly, or did the "pull" move from left to right with the alignment?

You car may have been bent in an accident, and incorrectly fixed, resulting in a shorter wheelbase on one side, which will cause a pull to that side. Or, the camber or toe may be incorrect. A shop whose "machine doesn't print numbers" probably won't be checking camber, because it's non-adjustable by conventional means on most BMW's. Or, your evaluation of "pulling" may be happening on a crowned road. (Almost all roads are crowned, car will always pull to the low side.)

In short, you need a thorough exam of your car by a good pro, and a 4-wheel alignment by a top of the line machine.

As a racer, and pro tech, I'd have to believe I could find the issue with a tape measure, a pry-bar, 16" channelocks, and a tire guage.

I would have to say that an alignment shop that turned the car loose with a misaligned steering wheel didn't do their job.

Was there an uneven wear pattern on the tires you took off? If so, what did it look like, and on which tire(s)?

Oh yeah: EDIT: Whaddaya mean, the "brakes didn't seem to be hanging up"? Did the tires get spun on the lift? Did the tech use a temp gun on the wheels while you were driving? I'll bet not.

In which case. perhaps you should examine relative brake wear, left to right, inside and outside, all 4 wheels.

I'll take a guess your right front brake hose is internally clogged/imploded - but that's nothing but a blind guess, bases on inadequate data, so don't buy the part.

If you DO end up needing a brake hose, though, buy a complete set of stainless lines (6) from one of our forum sponsors, and thoroughly flush/bleed the entire brake system and the clutch, if you have one.

For anyone who cares, brake fluid needs to be changed every two years, MAXIMUM!
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 09-09-2010 at 02:42 AM.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330 XI, 2005 Mustang GT
    Thanks, I am not mechanically knowledable about alignments so I don't know all the details to ask.

As far as an accident, I don't know. I bought the car certified from a dealer and the carfax did not show an accident (unless the previous owner did not record it).

Before the alignment, the car pulled left. The front driver side tire did wear down on the inside corner. After the alignment, the car pulls right (opposite of before). I have only driven less than a 100 miles over the past couple days, but so far no noticeable uneven wear.

I have driven on many roads trying to eliminate the crowned road factor. I have driven on several neighborhood roads, city roads and highways trying to find a decent stretch of road. I also drove in the right lane and middle lane trying to find less of a crown if possible. All roads seem to provide the same right pull. The pull does start quicker with higher speeds.

I did have the brake flush light turn on over the weekend. So I am scheduled to get that done.
    "As long as you can laugh at yourself, you will never cease to be amused." Unknown

My Cars
    '00 540it, '97 B4 TDI
    Dirtracer is nicely saying what we both know, they missed something. If they shipped a car with a crooked steering wheel after an alignment, they are not detail oriented enough to find your problem. Can't print alignment numbers? Can't, won't or will not be bothered to maintain their equipment.

Find another shop. I smell hacks.