Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Need advice - Sound experts please read...

My Cars
    01 740i,97 Z3, 07 X3
    A couple of days ago I installed two subs MTX 12" in a sealed box running trough an Alpine amp V12 (500W). The sound/ bass is excellent, up until this morning on my way to work I noticed an extreme rattling on rear speakers.

I tought I had blown one of the factory speakers but once I got to the office my buddy helped me track the rattling. It appears that the rear panel is the one causing the noise (luckly no speakers were damaged).
    I uncliped one of the speakers grill and hold down the panel, no more rattling!

Well my question is the following: What can I do to prevent the panel from rattling. Any suggestions are appreciated...

Andre325i:

My Cars
    '97 328i
    silicone? get a tube of silicone weather stripping and glue the part that rattles.....

or get yourself some double sided tape or tacky putty (not sure what its called.....like playdoh but Really sticky) and fill the area that rattles.....

if you don't want to fill it with sticky shit, try cotton or felt and line the area that rattles with it, shove it in cracks.

basically the idea is, when you have a rattle, its to hard pieces vibrating against each other (two pieces of plastic/metal/etc), in order to vibrate they have to be a) close to each other and B) loose enough to rattle.

so to fix a rattle you either have to move the two pieces away from each other or secure them together.
    '97 328i, Montreal blue
    '86 535i Champagne (sold!)
    Sandbox IT

If its the grill on the box, you can relocate the supports that hold the grill down. Even go to radio shack and buy a few more to have more supports to hold it down. Or you can jsut screw it down with wood screw if you get bold.

Opps- on the rear the deck you can use foam stuffing and cut out a rectangle to insert it under the rear panel to create more of a dampening cushion for the base so it wont rattle. Or I've seen people use really thin fishing string and loop 4 sides of the grill and knot it down. But this way is just the cheeze way to fix it. Best way is to maybe buy a new grill or re-emforce the stock clips to hold on better.

Mike