Thread: new to me 325i

My Cars
    87 88 325i cabrio 89 325

new to me 325i

Just bought a used 325i convertible. It has had a timing belt failure and will need a head. (Verified by all the broken rockers and shaft hold downs.) Are there different heads by years? Mostly likely be looking at refurbishing wrecking yard head. Keeping my fingers cross that the pistons are okay. Car has about 135K on it. Other then water pump and tensioner, anything I should be looking at? Ordered the Bently manual tonight, cant wait for it to get her to start reading. This will be my first BMW.

My Cars
    87 88 325i cabrio 89 325
    some photos of the new "to me" car.

Got my Bentley Manual today, looks like I have some reading to do.
    Last edited by cudamank; 09-16-2010 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    88 325is, 99 Vw cabrio
    Nice find...rid yourself of the headache and swap a 24v motor in that sucker.

Welcome to the addiction

My Cars
    89 325i, 91 318ic
    Congrats and welcome! There is a ton of info on the forums, so grab a coke (with or without rum) and a comfy seat.

Looks like a good start to a decent project. Enjoy and good luck!
    Sean

A Company that will go to the ends of the Earth for it's people...will find that they can generally pay them 1/10th of an American worker.

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    You must get a 325i head, not one from a 325e or "325".

Other than that, there isn't any complication.

Start soaking the exhaust manifold nuts with PB Blaster now. You'll likely still need a torch to get them off.

If you have a friend to help, disconnect the exhaust at the downpipe and lift the head off with both intake and exhaust manifold attached.

Read the postings here before installing the replacement head. You'll need to replace the hose at the rear of the head before installation, use wire tie trick on the oil return tube, and have the cam aligned before lowering it. Other than that, it's pretty straight-forward.