Thread: Brake warning light in red

My Cars
    1999 740iL

Brake warning light in red

Hi Folks,
    i have a brake light which is showing red on my indicator panel. From the owners manual I understand this is for the supplemental brake boost system, which doesn't sound like a show stopper. The owners manual only makes reference to this warning light being yellow. Mine starts out yellow when I first turn the key on, then immediately changes to red, where it stays. Anybody have any experience with this...is there something I can check, etc.
    Thanks, and best regards, Hal

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Just the obvious - have you checked all your brake light bulbs, including the 3rd brake light in the center of the rear window?
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    That usually mean eith er LOW voltage on your battery or the Alternator died..U have a 99 740 so you have the Water cooled 150amp bosch alternator.. They are not cheap....Try checking the battery`s voltage or try cleaning the battery terminal`s cables
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    ^??? Brake light= bad alternator?

Could be the foot(park) brake or your brake fluid is low.

Is it tis (P) or (!) light?

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by halbitton View Post
    Hi Folks,
    i have a brake light which is showing red on my indicator panel. From the owners manual I understand this is for the supplemental brake boost system, which doesn't sound like a show stopper. The owners manual only makes reference to this warning light being yellow. Mine starts out yellow when I first turn the key on, then immediately changes to red, where it stays. Anybody have any experience with this...is there something I can check, etc.
    Thanks, and best regards, Hal
    Dig deeper into your owners manual...the BRAKE warning light can be red or yellow. And the manual may also send you to another page for additional information.

The page below explains the RED brake warning light:

...and the page below explains the YELLOW brake warning light...with instructions to check page 127. The asterisk { * } in the heading means that it may be an option and not on all cars. In this case DBC wasn't available unless your E38 has DSC...E38s w/ASC+T only will not have DBC:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-04-2010 at 03:13 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1999 740iL
    Thanks very much for your responses, and your help. Indeed I didn't delve deep enough into the manual.
    I'll check the brake fluid level.

Note to Edwin NL; in response to your question, according to my owners manual, the "BRAKE" light on US models is equivalent to the (!) light on Canadian models, so yes, it's the (!) light that's on.
    Thanks again for your help,
    Best regards, Hal

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin NL View Post
    ^??? Brake light= bad alternator?

Could be the foot(park) brake or your brake fluid is low.

Is it tis (P) or (!) light?
    Ya ...Brain Fart"...my bad
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by halbitton View Post
    Thanks very much for your responses, and your help. Indeed I didn't delve deep enough into the manual.
    I'll check the brake fluid level.

Note to Edwin NL; in response to your question, according to my owners manual, the "BRAKE" light on US models is equivalent to the (!) light on Canadian models, so yes, it's the (!) light that's on.
    Thanks again for your help,
    Best regards, Hal
    If it's been longer than 2 years since the brake fluid has been changed...I would suggest that instead of just topping up the brake fluid...that you go ahead and do a complete brake fluid change. It's recommended that the brake fluid be changed on a biennial schedule anyways...due to its hygroscopic properties (absorbs water).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    1999 740iL
    Well, I checked, and the brake fluid reservoir was up to the full mark, so low fluid is not the cause. When I have more time tomorrow I'll check out the float switch in the reservoir cap. I'll ohm through it and see if it changes state (closed vs open) as I jockey the float.
    Later, Hal

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    Could be just bad/old fluid that contains to much moist.

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    ...ure.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    2007 328i, 1987 635CSI,
    When starting the car up look for the message to come up on the check panel showing 'Check Brake Linings'. This just happened to mine and as noted above this will come on with low pads that need changing. Don't always assume the worst as sometimes it is little things.

Good Luck,

Tom in PA
    00 740iL

My Cars
    01740i black 98740il
    my moneys on a bad brake sensor....

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    So now you tell us it tells you check brake linings

My Cars
    BMW 740i 2000
    Well it does to me just came out of no where”Red Brake Light” Check Linings .. I braked very hard and light came on ? Fluids good brakes 8months old still good.. What I do next? Thx

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralbovski View Post
    Well it does to me just came out of no where”Red Brake Light” Check Linings .. I braked very hard and light came on ? Fluids good brakes 8months old still good.. What I do next? Thx
    If you have the CHECK BRAKE LININGS warning in the check control display...and the red BRAKE light is illuminated...it means that either your front or rear (or both) brake pads need to be replaced as well as the brake sensor for that axle has faulted and needs to be replaced, too.

It is also explained in the owners manual that the red brake light warning illuminates when you get the check brake linings (pads) warning. See exert from owners manual below...with the understanding that our warning does NOT say brake pads...it says brake linings.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-29-2018 at 10:02 AM.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    I just got this light LOL
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    So I put the key on position 2 and waited 30 seconds with the door open and the light reset it self. I hope this helps someone
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.