Thread: Steering wheel buttons not working

My Cars
    97 528i

Steering wheel buttons not working

Ok, I beleive I read a thread on this some time ago but cannot for the life of me find it so I appologize for asking this question again in advance.

All of the option buttons on the steering wheel have stopped working and the horn alos does not work. The airbag light is on as well.

From my memory I read it was some sensor in the steering wheel called a coil assembly or sonthing to that effect. Is this something I can do on my own or should I consult someone??? What the general cost on this issue?

My Cars
    '08 335i
    Sounds like it might be the ignition switch? ($70-ish) I'm getting one next week since I have a similar issue, the research I have done so far points to that, now I am just waiting till payday :P

If you search for ignition switch replacement I believe there are a few threads/articles out there, it definitely looks pretty simple.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by rsking View Post
    Ok...All of the option buttons on the steering wheel have stopped working and the horn alos does not work. The airbag light is on as well.

From my memory I read it was some sensor in the steering wheel called a coil assembly or sonthing to that effect. Is this something I can do on my own or should I consult someone??? What the general cost on this issue?
    Have you seen this video? Start your car up, turn on the headlights & radio, then reach up and pull down one of the sun visors and open the cover to the mirror. Take note if other strange things happen.

If it does, then there's a 99% probability that the issue is your ignition switch. There are DIY write-ups in the FAQ here and on www.e38.org. The instructions and part is the same for the e38 & e39...so you should be able to follow the instructions even though they may be for an e38.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7gMUrAvcIE[/ame] [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX4ZawxM1X0[/ame]
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    97 528i
    Well, I have tried the trick of the vanity mirrow and nothing happened out of the ordinary. I still have no use of any of the steering wheel funcions for the radio, ac etc in addtion to not having the use of the horn and the airbag light on. Still fishing for answers maybe it is the ignition switch????? not sure but any guidence would be helpful

My Cars
    99528it 02525it 04325it
    Your slip ring bid you farewell!

My Cars
    97 528i
    Will the airbag slip ring also cause the functions in the steering wheel to malfunction or kust force the airbag light to come on? I ask this very specific questions becouse all of the above apply tp me and from all that I am reading and hearing it might actualy be the ignition switch.

My Cars
    99528it 02525it 04325it
    As far as I can see or remember when I removed the airbag and the slip ring the wires are separate and has it's own connectors so to answer your question....No.

My Cars
    97 528i
    So it is most likley the ignition switch?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by rsking View Post
    Will the airbag slip ring also cause the functions in the steering wheel to malfunction or kust force the airbag light to come on? I ask this very specific questions becouse all of the above apply tp me and from all that I am reading and hearing it might actualy be the ignition switch.
    The slip ring allows the wires that run to the MFL control module & horn to function properly as the wheel turns. In & of itself is usually not the issue unless a wire has been pinched or cut etc.

Depending on your 97's build date...the MFL control module is either in the right button pad...or below the dash. If your buttons aren't illuminating or functioning properly, the signal is being interrupted somewhere...it could be from either side of the slip ring...perhaps a disconnected wire...or a malfunctioning ignition switch...or a fault in the I or K bus. :

Back side of slip ring:

If memory serves correct...the wire harness with the purple/brown/black/white wires is for the horn...or was it the blue wire?:
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    97 528i
    So I should take it apart. look to see if the wires are working properly, if they are then check the ingnition switch. if good then the slip rings. Or check slip rings forngs first either way it's a systimatic approach to finding the true cause of the issue.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Yes, but be VERY careful with the slip ring...if it unspools on you...

But don't be afraid to remove the airbag & steering wheel (just remember to REMOVE the negative battery cable FIRST...and don't redo the car's battery until you have all the SRS/airbag connectors plugged back in. The slip ring is screwed into the steering wheel...and the wheel has to come off first. So unless/until you unscrew the slip ring from the back of the steering wheel...you don't have to worry about it unspooling.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-24-2011 at 10:12 AM.

My Cars
    99 528i
    Is there a write of this in DIY?> I searched and I am not getting anything

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    Has it had a steering shaft replaced in the past. Sometimes the wheel turns too far while it's apart and the slip ring gets damaged. I've seen it on several E-46's. Nothing on the wheel works including the horn and the air bag light will be on.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by lekkerbmw View Post
    Is there a write of this in DIY?> I searched and I am not getting anything
    Can you help us help you better? We can't see/read the thoughts/questions inside your head...nor do we know what particular situation you're in.

A DIY for what? Several things have been mentioned and I'm not sure as to what DIY you're looking for....airbag/steering wheel removal...ignition switch DIY..slip ring?

Post back with a specific detail as to what it is that you're looking for...perhaps we can point you in the right direction.

My Cars
    335i 328i, 535xit, ++
    Hi,

I keep noticing that people come on the forum and ask a lot of questions, then get response, but never take the time to return and tell folks whether any of th erecommended actions work. C'mon folks, if you ask a question and get answers, PLEASE take the time to reply after the problem is fixed. It is the equivelent of a "Thank you!" to all those who have tried to help you. this is basic etiquette in any help forum and it is part of why these forums are here.

That said, One of my '99 528i cars had a constant airbag light and the steering wheel controls only worked intermittently. I replaced the steering yoke/clockspring. This solved all of these problems. The yoke replacement is about a $100 part and maybe an hour and a half of labor but you have to disconnect the battery and pull the steering wheel. There are a couple of threads on how to do it but I can't seem to find a link at the moment. Note that there are a couple of versions of this part and you will need to order a NEW one based on your manufacture date and wheel options. I would not skimp on a used part as the wear problem is inherent in all steering yokes.

I hope that helps!
    Last edited by hodgess; 11-23-2011 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Current BMWs: 14 total. '12 X5, '09 E93 335i, '09 E91 328i, '08 E93 328i, '08 E61 535ix '02 E39 M5, '01 E39 M5, '02 E39 touring, '91 E34 M5, (2)'88 E28 M5s, '75 2002, 74 2002,
    Prior BMWs: Every E-body 5 series including tourings and every E-body 3 series. '74 2002 tii
    First rule of BMW Ownership: Buy a BMW specific scanner!

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    I had exactly the same symptoms as the OP 2 weeks ago it was indeed the ignition switch.
    2002 530i Sport
    Titanium Silver
    Rear Shades
    Umnitza ICE V5 LEDs
    M5 trunk lip
    Dice MediaBridge
    Bad Pixels (of course)

My Cars
    2003 330i 5mt japanrot
    Clockspring behind the airbag.. Common problem in bimmers.

My Cars
    e39
    hi everyone. all steering wheel buttons and windshield wipers on my e39 530i not working.
    i did replace ignition switch and clock spring still not working.
    anyone knows what is else could be causing this problem?
    thank you.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Could it be an issue with your General Module behind the glove box (you don't say what model or year you have)? Check for leaks that may have shorted out fuses. Look behind the glove box and under the passenger front carpet.

You might also want to read the fault codes in the chassis module.
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    e39
    Quote Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    Could it be an issue with your General Module behind the glove box (you don't say what model or year you have)? Check for leaks that may have shorted out fuses. Look behind the glove box and under the passenger front carpet.

You might also want to read the fault codes in the chassis module.
    i'm sorry. 2002 530i. thank you so much for respond.turns out to be my buttons and windshield wipers 2 separate issues.
    already done with windshield wipers tomorrow will replace my steering control buttons

My Cars
    1999 bmw 528i
    i have a 1999 bmw 528i I inserted a clock spring with the wiring harness attached, and that made all my buttons on my steering to worked, it wasn't that hard to install, all for 28.00 dollars on ebay.

My Cars
    1997 E39 540i
    I know it’s been a few years, but my father recently gifted me his 1997 540i, the horn works, and so does the heated steering wheel, but those are the only functional buttons, everything else does nothing, it’s the OEM head unit and all, just wondering if anyone has a fix for that issue?