Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Intake Manifold Swap: The answers to your questions of late.

Hornung418 is offline Kyle of DeVry Institute BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    e46 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
    I was going to let this thread burn in the depth of hell where it belongs, but I decided to humor myself, and teach you a thing or two about exhaust gas scavenging and back-pressure.

Here you go:
    http://my350z.com/forum/7435408-post15.html
    Who the fuck are you to say where my thread belongs? You need to humor everybody else on this forum, and get the fuck out. Go back to your Z section and be an asshole there. Thanks for the link...now I'm fucking confused because I have two different answers to the same question. WTFG.

[/rant]
    06/99 328I | 124K MILES | M54B30 MANIFOLD SWAP | MS42 -> MS43 DME CONVERSION | STILL JUST AS SLOW AS EVER

My Cars
    Z3
    I was going to let this thread burn in the depth of hell where it belongs, but I decided to humor myself, and teach you a thing or two about exhaust gas scavenging and back-pressure.

Here you go:
    Oh, and just FYI, this information has been confirmed by Burns Stainless (who I contacted on making a custom Y pipe for me) and by Sasha of the Koni race series, Steve Dinan, and pretty much anyone else.

"This series of tests established:
    1) There was no scavenging possible after the Y-pipe.
    2) A smaller diameter midpipe can only decrease HP&TQ
    3) There will be rapidly diminishing returns beyond a 3" midpipe
    4) With power to weight ratios taken into consideration a 3" midpipe can be considered optimum. 3" also allows more headroom for medium boost FI applications.

Going from 3" to a 3.5" midpipe may at best provide a 0.5HP increase. So from a weight point of view, going larger than 3.0" would be counter productive for NA applications.

I then conducted another series of tests at the end of the Y-pipe.
    1) Attaching a 3" diameter butterfly valve with variable position restriction plate.
    2) Attaching a 6" diameter parabolic diffuser to reduces pressure drop below that of a 3" open pipe.

The purpose of the butterfly valve restriction plate was to directly test the effect of raw back pressure on performance. And the results were very clear.
    BACK PRESSURE RAPIDLY REDUCES PERFORMANCE.

I dyno tested the valve at various levels of flow restriction. From wide open to almost fully closed as back pressure was increased, performance rapidly decreased."

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci

Here you go:
    and your point is????

and could you please read me those dyno graphs. i have no idea what it is in reference to.
    Last edited by Tom D; 09-07-2010 at 08:26 PM.
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray
    14 f800gsa - red headed stepchild!

My Cars
    Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    and your point is????
    Back pressure isn't good, and you're an idiot if you believe so.

For the record, Tony Coletti actually happens to be a former rocket scientist (I'm not kidding) and just went public a couple months ago a new type of test pipe that uses resonance tuning to boost power as much as 30wtq to the wheels. He currently has a patent on the design, and is talking to a few auto manufactures about making it an OEM item on newer cars.

Maybe you should do some real research and not believe everything you read online.

My Cars
    e46 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman00
    Oh, and just FYI, this information has been confirmed by Burns Stainless (who I contacted on making a custom Y pipe for me) and by Sasha of the Koni race series, Steve Dinan, and pretty much anyone else.
    This is SOOOOO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than all that other garbage you posted. Nobody can base their opinions on your response just because you're Iceman00...Now if you were Steve Dinan, then who am I to question? I will recall that thread when I get cash to get an exhaust system.

No if anybody has anymore crap they want to litter my thread with, rethink that, and do it respectfully in the OT boards...This is my build thread, not a place of opinion on where the stock exhaust is flawed.
    TBA Plate will be here tomorrow, 09/08/10. Still waiting for stilljester to hit me up with the status on his M54B30 manifold w/ DISA.
    Last edited by Hornung418; 09-07-2010 at 08:27 PM.
    06/99 328I | 124K MILES | M54B30 MANIFOLD SWAP | MS42 -> MS43 DME CONVERSION | STILL JUST AS SLOW AS EVER

My Cars
    Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    This is SOOOOO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than all that other garbage you posted. Nobody can base their opinions on your response just because you're Iceman00...Now if you were Steve Dinan, then who am I to question? I will recall that thread when I get cash to get an exhaust system.

No if anybody has anymore crap they want to litter my thread with, rethink that, and do it respectfully in the OT boards...This is my build thread, not a place of opinion on where the stock exhaust is flawed.
    TBA Plate will be here tomorrow, 09/08/10. Still waiting for http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/member.php?u=102370]stilljester[/url] to hit me up with the status on his M54B30 manifold w/ DISA.
    You're an idiot, remember, YOU asked me for my advice. I've done my homework, I asked questions, I compiled notes. What have you done? Since then, all you've done is tried to argue with me. I have nothing more to add to this thread.

My Cars
    2001 325Ci
    How about them Red Sox...

Don't attack each other ... learn to get along with others or learn how to ignore them (either way, no fighting)
    You're an idiot.
    Iceman, we got your point, time to move on
    Last edited by NDubSki; 09-07-2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Now they dropping and yelling, it's a tad too late, Nate K and Rayzah Blade had to regulate.
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even thank her." ~W.C. Fields
    Two tone leather boots, CF B&R emblems, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED sidemarkers, CF interior layout, Suwoo highbeam bowls
    Rooted Droid2 running stock overclocked to 600 MHz

My Cars
    e46 328i
    You're an idiot, remember, YOU asked me for my advice. I've done my homework, I asked questions, I compiled notes. What have you done? Since then, all you've done is tried to argue with me. I have nothing more to add to this thread.
    I'm in college...I learn for a fucking living! Unfortunately I can't just hop on a dyno and do a fuckload of testing for optimal scavenging and backpressure numbers...And yes I did ask you for help...Regarding my intake setup. But now we are completely off topic and this thread is failing in comparison to the thought I had about doing this.

And for the record:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418
    I'm not trying to ignore your advice, after all, it is I who came to you
    I'm trying to learn from you, sir. But you are very impatient and it's pissing me and everybody else here off. You're not the big cock on the block, quit trying to act it.

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    iceman,

my original statement was that back pressure was relevant. i still stand on that, and that does not make me a idiot.

i do not claim to be a expert in the science of exhaust scavenging. and i really doubt that you are either.

i do know this. when i was 19 years old i took off the mufflers of my triumph motorcycle. although it screamed like a scalded dog at high RPMs, it launched off the line like your grandmother.
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray

My Cars
    S52 times 2
    My 328i has a butterfly valve on the exhaust...from the factory. It was put there to give ADDITIONAL that's right more backpressure during lower RPM's and is vacuum actuated so the more vacuum, the more it opens. Those Germans are just genius. I am sure you are a very smart man in your little garage, but I am going with zee germans in their multi billion dollar research and design center. Back pressure @ lower RPM's = more low end torque

My Cars
    Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by SWISS View Post
    My 328i has a butterfly valve on the exhaust...from the factory. It was put there to give ADDITIONAL that's right more backpressure during lower RPM's and is vacuum actuated so the more vacuum, the more it opens. Those Germans are just genius. I am sure you are a very smart man in your little garage, but I am going with zee germans in their multi billion dollar research and design center. Back pressure @ lower RPM's = more low end torque
    That butterfly valve is just for sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    iceman,

my original statement was that back pressure was relevant. i still stand on that, and that does not make me a idiot.

i do not claim to be a expert in the science of exhaust scavenging. and i really doubt that you are either.

i do know this. when i was 19 years old i took off the mufflers of my triumph motorcycle. although it screamed like a scalded dog at high RPMs, it launched off the line like your grandmother.
    It's called exhaust gas scavenging and exhaust diffusion, again, read what I posted, and you'll understand why that happened. It has nothing to do with back pressure.
    Last edited by Iceman00; 09-07-2010 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    e46 328i
    [/threadjack]

God damn you all are relentless.
    If this thread was about exhaust setups, you all would get a fucking gold star.

My Cars
    e46 328i
    Throttle body adapter plate came from Turner today

Still waiting for stilljester to hit me back...
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    S52 times 2
    That butterfly valve is just for sound.
    [/threadjack]

God damn you all are relentless.
    If this thread was about exhaust setups, you all would get a fucking gold star.
    Last edited by SWISS; 09-10-2010 at 10:43 AM.

My Cars
    ?
    this thread is t3h hilarious. iceman sounds like a douchebag of a person, idc how much he knows.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Back pressure isn't good, and you're an idiot if you believe so.
    You absolutely did not just call Tomd and idiot.

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    e46 328i
    Tom D will kick your apple...then put clear corners on your car, and break em with a bat.

Iceman needs to cool his jets...

So how 'bout that TBA Plate?

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci

Tom D will put clear corners on your car, and break em with a bat.
    LOL big time!!
    Last edited by Tom D; 09-17-2010 at 01:45 PM.
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray

My Cars
    e46 328i
    Okay so I'm starting to worry now that the wrist pin thread made an appearance...
    I'll get a video shortly if she feels like making noise for you guys.
    Finally uploaded the vid:
    http://s776.photobucket.com/albums/y...t=P1010024.mp4

Basically every now and then I get a rough idle and a noisy rattle. I can't really tell if it goes away at when the car is at speed. I've put off inspection/cleaning of the ICV and DISA Valves until I go through with the swap, but it looks like I'll have to get look into it ASAP.

Here's the thing tho, today I parked it and had a lil time before class, so I popped the hood and started her up and she was rattling pretty bad. Seemed to isolate it as the VANOS...How rare is it to have the rattle as a 328i owner? I could have swore the problem was mostly limited to facelifted cars, especially ZHPs. Not saying I'm immune to the issue, just more of a rarity I thought.
    Last edited by Hornung418; 09-16-2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Beep Beep....

My Cars
    e46 328i
    Looking for opinions on the video posted above.
    Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    e46 328i
    Status update...

Project has been put on hold until further notice. I will continue to stock up parts when I can. Just dropped $290 on a new iPod as the old one went kaputski
    Stilljester finally did reply to me and has confirmed that he has both M54B30 Manifold and the DISA Valve. Sorry that I couldn't follow through with the plan of attack as expected :'(
    Here's to a good week everybody!

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Thanks for the update Horney. You have a great week also.

My Cars
    e46 328i
    Hopefully a package from a respectable bf.c member should be here tomorrow...Good week will ensue after arrival

My Cars
    2000 323Ci RIP, e34 525i
    Cool. Can't wait to see how the build progresses.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast