Thread: Quick radiator fan questions (yes I've searched the forums.)

My Cars
    BMW 1997 528I

Quick radiator fan questions (yes I've searched the forums.)

OK so after Ive been running the car for a while, and its usually on pretty hot days Ive started noticing a fairly loud wooshing sound when I accelerate on top of the normal engine rev sound. Also I seem to have less power when this wooshing sound happens. It seems to go away when I turn the AC off so I'm thinking maybe its just my auxilery fan being loud, but part of me is paranoid that my radiator fan clutch is going bad. Theres no indication that the car is overheating. My temperature guage stays perfectly straight up and down. Like I said this only happens after I've been driving for over a half hour. I just am trying to figure out if I need to put in a new radiator fan clutch.... Are there any other tests or anything I can do to tell if my fan clutch is still good or not?

My Cars
    00 540i M, 00 F350 7.3L
    I'm usually not one to tell people what to do but considering I just went through the exploding cooling fan debacle, I'd say just replace it for peace of mind or convert to electric. I did the conversion and I now have my acceleration back. The silver lining is that the insurance is gonna cover the hood. Imagine that...

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Quote Originally Posted by txkawboi View Post
    I'm usually not one to tell people what to do but considering I just went through the exploding cooling fan debacle, I'd say just replace it for peace of mind or convert to electric. I did the conversion and I now have my acceleration back. The silver lining is that the insurance is gonna cover the hood. Imagine that...

So how's the conversion going? If you don't mind sharing we would love to hear how you did it and which electric fan you are using and where to get them. TIA.

My Cars
    00 540i M, 00 F350 7.3L
    It's not a factory-looking job yet like the one in this thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ght=taurus+fan but it is complete. I have to go back and reposition the Temp Sensor because it doesn't work automatically. I put a switch on it for now because I needed to get back on the road. Riding my motorcyle in a suit in this heat just is NOT cool! I ordered Advance Auto's replacement fan for a 1988 - 1992 3.0L Ford Taurus (because my wife wanted warranteed parts) and it's working just fine. I also got Advance Auto's cooling fan relay kit and a circuit breaker. I got the switch from Radio Shack when I got the shielding for the wires. Since the fan I purchased fit within the OEM fan shroud, I simply drilled 5 holes and used hardware from Lowes (steel nuts and bolts) to hold it in place. I didn't even have to remove the radiator either. I hope this helps...

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Cool! Thank you TXkawboi. Appreciated your time.

My Cars
    '01 525i, 93 MX-5 autox
    For less money, get an OEM replacement fan and fan clutch.... it will last another 8-10 years for the fraction of the price of the electric fan mod.

The fact that you hear the whooshing is that it is working. If you know know the age of the clutch or fan, I would replace it.... the whooshing sound should change pitch from idle to about 3,000 rpms... if the pitch / sound gets higher after 3,000 rpms, you might be at a critical point to change the parts!

While you are in there, if a full coolant system replacement didn't occur yet, at LEAST do the water pump and pulley while in there....

Don't think I'm bashing the electric fan mod, you do get some robbed HP back and no diesel truck noise, but it's a bit more pricey to do.
    KEVIN
    BMW CCA # 416146

Current 2001 525i-5 / 234,000 Miles
    ///M Weighted Shift knob.
    CD43 with AUX retrofit + Bluebus
    Auto Dimming Mirror upgrade
    H&R Sport / Koni STR.T
    OEM Xenon HID Retrofit

The Ex- 2000 540i-6 / 82,xxx miles to 186,xxx miles
    CDV Free, 545i Shifter and ///M Weighted Shift knob.
    Member of DSC Module Failure Club $$

My Cars
    BMW 1997 528I
    Yea Im just gonna get it replaced here soon. The car has 91,000 miles of which I have put about 40,000. My radiator blew up recently and my whole cooling system is pretty much new, including an aluminum thermostat housing so I guess I may was well finish what I started because I didn't get a new clutch and the one in there may very well be 91,000 miles old...

Also thanks, thats a big help
    Last edited by wdsales; 08-31-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    00 540i M, 00 F350 7.3L
    @ 16valex: Not a problem. I'm very appreciative of everyone who posts here. I'm learning alot. To the OP, I agree with Camarock in that it may not cost as much and I'm sure it's well worth whatever $$$ you spend. It is, afterall, German engineered... I just did the mod since I was already at the replacement stage and I spent about $200.00 for the parts. I could've gotten the used fan but my wife wasn't having it! That would've put my cost right at $100.00, give or take a few bux. Either way, take care of it because the result is not pretty! I'd said just the week before that I was gonna replace mine next month (Sep) around mid-month and BOOM!