RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Instrument cluster: Needle gauges don't work, but everything else on the cluster does

My Cars
    '93 M325i, '01 Duramax

Exclamation Instrument cluster: Needle gauges don't work, but everything else on the cluster does

'93 325i

I put a new motor w/auto harness into a car that had a manual setup and still does, just the harness is from an auto. Everything works except the analog gauges in the instrument cluster. All the lights work, just the needles gauges don't function (fuel, coolant, tach, and speedo). I know for a fact it has fuel and should be hot enough to register, and the tach should work when rev'd up.

The coolant sensor is getting voltage and has a good ground.
    The coolant temp. sensor appears good when doing an ohm's check. I followed the bentley manual advice where they said jumper the wires and it should register a "Hot" like condition, but the gauge on the cluster remain still.
    I swapped clusters with a known good cluster and that did not fix it.

From reading the manual, it says the analog gauges are all controlled digitally in the cluster and need a 5v reference. Not sure if that's the problem? I'm sure if I fix one I'll fix them all.

Please help! I need to finish bleeding the coolant system in this car and I don't want it to overheat since I don't know what the temperature is at!

-Thank you
    Complete one man ///M engine+drivetrain, brakes, suspension swap in 21 hrs

SLIDENY

slide013 by MtBikingKing, on Flickr

My Cars
    '93 M325i, '01 Duramax
    anyone?
    Complete one man ///M engine+drivetrain, brakes, suspension swap in 21 hrs

SLIDENY

slide013 by MtBikingKing, on Flickr