Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Convertible Top - Tension Strap and Headliner Removal & Installation

My Cars
    1995 e36 325ic
    So many old broken sticky thread links and pics on this form.

My Cars
    1999 m3 convertible 5spd
    I am getting ready to replace my tension straps....wish i could find a thread or video as well.

My Cars
    2013 328i, 1999 M3 Vert
    Did you guys ever do this? Looks like it has been a while since anyone has done anything. Lots of dead links. Love to hear if you had success. Going to try a diy

My Cars
    1999 m3 convertible 5spd
    I replaced my tension straps. It was pretty time consuming but not too hard. It made my top work perfect. Well worth the effort.

From what I remember I started at the rear window and worked it up to the front. I recall having some trouble geting the rear attached, but I dont remember exactly what that was.

I bought my straps from e-z on tops. My first set of straps had some bad stitching on one spot, but they replaced it right away and were really upset about it. So, give each section a tug before installing.

My Cars
    2013 328i, 1999 M3 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by emccallum View Post
    I replaced my tension straps. It was pretty time consuming but not too hard. It made my top work perfect. Well worth the effort.

From what I remember I started at the rear window and worked it up to the front. I recall having some trouble geting the rear attached, but I dont remember exactly what that was.

I bought my straps from e-z on tops. My first set of straps had some bad stitching on one spot, but they replaced it right away and were really upset about it. So, give each section a tug before installing.
    Thanks for the advice. Just bought the tension straps today.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i Conv
    I tried clicking on the link below and received a message that the page could not be displayed. Any help would be most appreciated. Need to replace my top and these would be sooooo helpful.

It has 4 videos that cover:
    Tension strap removal
    Tension strap install
    Headliner removal
    Headliner install

http://www.unitedtravelcenter.com/BMW_Projects.html

THANKS!!!

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Does anyone have updated links? They're all broken.
    When you step on the brakes, your life is in your foot's hands.

My Cars
    1994 325ic, 2012 328ic,
    I'm looking too. Somewhere I saw some adjustable Velcro stretchy straps for $5 that did the trick. I need to do the top and sure would love to save the $180 for this straps.

My Cars
    1999 m3 convertible 5spd
    I tried that. It worked better for a little while. The OE straps do several things all at the same time that a couple of bungees cant duplicate. Trust me, the proper straps will make it work properly.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i sedan base

Headliner help

Quote Originally Posted by palomino View Post
    good call, done. i changed the thread title so it would be a little more helpful at a glance.
    Hey, How are you doin?
    I have a 94 e36 325i vert that I need to Install my new liner! Had a new top put on last spring and the guy thought he could use the old one , but no! So now I'm stuck trying to get this done , and that guy doesn't remember how to do the liner or how the coords are run! I've seen videos for the front and main section but not the window area and side pillars with the plastic pieces! Have new liner and parts from e auto parts ,but no one has instructions and your old thread is closed!
    Please help a brother out?20180301_073700.jpg20180301_073748.jpg

My Cars
    explorer
    Bumping this ancient thread, I replaced my tension straps today and it was a PITA, if you take your time and take pictures, start from the back, work your way to the front.

You will need to drill out the rivets in the rear window seals, so have a rivet gun ready for reassembly. Just do a little at a time, start at the front and work your way to the rear with the straps. The worst part is the wiring on the drivers side. Whoever designed this never considered replacement!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12