Thread: I need your help/ Opinion!!!! On this e36 m3

My Cars
    Hellrot E36 M3

I need your help/ Opinion!!!! On this e36 m3

Hey guys and gals thanks for taking your time to help me. I want to know how much you would pay for this m3.

I found an E36 1997 M3 w/:
    -150,000 Miles
    -Recently painted blue interlagos
    -Orion V2 Angel Eyes
    -European Ellipsoid Housing with 6k HID Bulbs
    -90% on Front tires, 98% on Rear tires
    -New Grey Headliner
    -Manual Vaders in great condition

Has the following problems:
    -check engine light(vapor emissions leak) and says it is "vacuum leak associated with the evaporator emissions"
    -airbag light (not sure)
    -needs a new alternator

Comes with the following extras:
    All stocks parts
    Borla Cataback Exhaust (Uninstalled)
    H&R Springs(Uninstalled)
    Last edited by Barbic; 08-22-2010 at 07:28 PM.

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3
    make sure it has some maintainence records. I would say 5500-6500

My Cars
    97 M3
    Yeah, it's worse than mine and I got mine for 6.2K.

My Cars
    99 AW M3, 07 JB 328xi
    Closer to the 5k range considering the thing has been re-painted & needs and alternator.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Where in MD are you? I'd be glad to put it up on the lift, and take a look at it for you. You really need to find out why it's had a color change. Plus, a PPI is never a bad thing. You can also see my car, and see what they should look like...lol
    Last edited by RRSperry; 08-22-2010 at 07:48 AM.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    Hellrot E36 M3
    GreenMobster- Thanks I was going to ask for them right before I took it to inspection.

MasterKwan- PM'd about the problems

Brinkmann0- Okay thanks

RRSperry- PMED

My Cars
    X3,528i,
    i would pay 6k...
    and whats the reason of repaint?
    eva leak and air bag lights are common.. a loose gas cap could cause the eva leak also.
    2000 BMW 528i / Manual Tranny / Sport & Premium package / Xenon headlight / Sport seats / Premium sound / DSC /
    2011 BMW X3

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport
    Rarely does a loose gas cap ping an EVAP leak code in our cars... especially at around 80k+ miles, more commonly, the plastic expansion tank starts to crack. (like a catch can for the fuel tank). It's about a $65 to $85 part and an hour install.

The airbag light is common - usually the stupid seat belt sensor or the steering wheel airbag/horn ring ( you can test the latter, if the horn doesn't work, the ring needs to be replaced.)

None of the stuff you mention are serious show stoppers given the car is well over 150k miles. But keep in mind at 150k you are looking at most likely replacing...

1. Brakes
    2. Clutch
    3. Suspension, bushings, guibo, etc.
    4. Steering rack, pump, etc.

I've crossed 175k in my 95 and I've dropped an easy $5k in the last 20k miles.
    BMW CCA Member 186373 - Golden Gate Chapter
    Former (e)Bombe Magazine Editor, "The Toy Box" product review writer | Current member of Team Jesus

Gone: 1995 E36 M3 Arctik Silber, 1996 E36 M3 Cosmos, 1991 E30 318is Cosmos

My Cars
    Hellrot E36 M3
    ganzibye- The owner wanted to "freshen up the car" and gave me the same reason for the EVAP code.

LuxoM3- Thanks

My Cars
    Sexy E21
    i wish i can find 97 m3 for 5 grand. you guys are crazy.. i will say 7g at least where i live that's what they wroth.

My Cars
    97 M3
    MasterKwan- PM'd about the problems
    I didn't get a PM.

My Cars
    e55
    Quote Originally Posted by charbel View Post
    i wish i can find 97 m3 for 5 grand. you guys are crazy.. i will say 7g at least where i live that's what they wroth.

+1

7-9k consider this car is EC.

Custom Dyno-tuned Eurocharged| Eurocharged Headers |Filthy Habits Mid-Pipe | Filthy Habits Intake | PLM | BWK | 010 | KW | Meisterschaft

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I think 5kish with what you have mentioned. Remember you will have to pour in a few $k to get this car up to par.
    Yellow 1995 BMW M3 1 out of 8,515. Build Date: 10/94
    Engine- S52 OBD1 Swap, TRM Chip, 21.5 lb. inj., 3.5 HFM/ECIS, AA catback exhaust
    Transmission- Aluminum flywheel, 3.23 Diff
    Suspension: H&Rs and Bilsteins, Powerflex/ AKG Bushings, X-Brace, UUC Swaybarbarians
    Rims: 18x8.5 BBS RCs FORGED
    Brakes: Brembo Rotors, Hawk Pads, Steel Brakelines
    Dynojet RWHP: 250.9 TQ: 237.72 CA SMOG LEGAL POWER! =)
    Best 1/4 mile: TBD
    Weight: 2650 lbs w/ 1/4 tank of gas

My Cars
    97 M3
    7-9k consider this car is EC.
    7K for a car that won't pass safety or emissions inspection? You don't even know what's really wrong with it. It might take a couple grand to get it through inspection. Mine at 6.2K was fully inspectable and emissions legal. Worn, yes about like this one but, still usable.

It's worth 7K if it wasn't broken. It's not worth 7K the way it is.

My Cars
    Hellrot E36 M3
    Do you guys think HID headlights will be a problem? as in too bright?

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3
    Nah, you should be fine with 6k. It will have a hint of blue to it. Just make sure they are aimed and adjusted right so you dont blind other drivers, and possibly cause an accident. Cops wont like it as well.

My Cars
    Hellrot E36 M3
    Sorry to revive this thread but i thought id update people who have posted. I bought the car for 5 g's at 149,420 miles. Since then I've replaced the alternator, driver seat belt latch, done an oil change, replaced pre cat o2 sensors, changed the cabin filter, roof ledge trim, vent window trim/moulding and seals. In 2 weekends from now I will be replacing the selector rod/shaft seal, transmission mounts, guibo/flex disc, and the wishbones. Spent about 1.9 g's so far after buy all the parts for my latest project, I'm working on just bringing my car up to par and then converting Jet-Hot headers my friend gave me for free from OBD1 to OBD2 and installing a borla because I found a deal on one.
    Last edited by Barbic; 12-29-2010 at 09:54 PM.

My Cars
    89 635CSi-SOLD-2001 540i
    $5k sounds like a good deal and not too bad spending the $1.9G. Bought my 95 with 187k for $3800. I had the RTAB/Shims, rear shock mounts and alternator replaced. Bought two new Yokohama S Drive tires for the rear. So far, in it for about a $800 in repairs and tires. Looking for LCA and tie rods to eliminate front end play. Also, gonna spend another $500 having the scrape on my drivers door repaired and hood painted by a pro. Then I'll be around $2 G or $5800 total.

My Cars
    RX7 (x2) + E36 325i
    Edit: saw update. How do you feel about the carat this point?
    Last edited by PhoenixRX7; 12-30-2010 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Shady people suck: SPEC3HOR

FS: BLITZ BOV

My Cars
    Hellrot E36 M3
    I feel that its a great car, but there is always going to be work to done. Mostly work that I can do as a 17 year old with a lift and the right tools. What killed me is the roofledge trim and real window trims/seals added up to like $550 and I'll need to replace the door seals which are $560 for both. Oh well, its an m3 and being an older car it needs a bit of refreshening.

My Cars
    e36
    you're not purchasing that stuff from the dealer are you? There are a ton of vendors out there you should be researching to save some dough. Pelican Parts, GetBMWparts, etc. The vets will chime in with more.

Good luck with the car. When I was 17, I had an '86 Camaro. V6...

My Cars
    all
    Probably been in a wreck people dotn just paint 10 - 15 year old cars for no reason.

My Cars
    1989 Geo Metro
    It'll cost you about 10k. Doesn't matter what you pay for it, but to have an M3 that is solid, all maintenance up to date, you're spending 10k. So buy a well sorted car at a higher price and save yourself some work. You buy a cheap one you're going to be dumping some money into it.

How bad was the re-spray? Was the engine pulled and the engine bay and door jambs repainted? Pull the trunk carpet out. Does the color match the exterior? How about the rear door panels, is the metal behind them a different color than the exterior?

My Cars
    Hellrot E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmos Kramer View Post
    you're not purchasing that stuff from the dealer are you? There are a ton of vendors out there you should be researching to save some dough. Pelican Parts, GetBMWparts, etc. The vets will chime in with more.

Good luck with the car. When I was 17, I had an '86 Camaro. V6...
    Nope, I've always shopped around for the cheapest parts. I couldnt purchase roofledge online (tried rmeuropean) but they said it would just bend.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj View Post
    Probably been in a wreck people dotn just paint 10 - 15 year old cars for no reason.
    I guess you missed the update, there are no obvious signs of a wreck like
    a drooping fender.

Quote Originally Posted by Volfinator View Post
    It'll cost you about 10k. Doesn't matter what you pay for it, but to have an M3 that is solid, all maintenance up to date, you're spending 10k. So buy a well sorted car at a higher price and save yourself some work. You buy a cheap one you're going to be dumping some money into it.

How bad was the re-spray? Was the engine pulled and the engine bay and door jambs repainted? Pull the trunk carpet out. Does the color match the exterior? How about the rear door panels, is the metal behind them a different color than the exterior?
    It was actually a really good respray, they missed behind the mirrors and thats it but ill be taking it back so they fix that. The door jambs have been painted but i can read the vin off of them. The color doesnt match the exterior because its been painted.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Offer the focker $4k. AND be prepared to spend another $6k =)
    Yellow 1995 BMW M3 1 out of 8,515. Build Date: 10/94
    Engine- S52 OBD1 Swap, TRM Chip, 21.5 lb. inj., 3.5 HFM/ECIS, AA catback exhaust
    Transmission- Aluminum flywheel, 3.23 Diff
    Suspension: H&Rs and Bilsteins, Powerflex/ AKG Bushings, X-Brace, UUC Swaybarbarians
    Rims: 18x8.5 BBS RCs FORGED
    Brakes: Brembo Rotors, Hawk Pads, Steel Brakelines
    Dynojet RWHP: 250.9 TQ: 237.72 CA SMOG LEGAL POWER! =)
    Best 1/4 mile: TBD
    Weight: 2650 lbs w/ 1/4 tank of gas