Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Definitive Guide to GT1 IBM T30 Native Install (also relevant for VMWare)

My Cars
    1998 540i
    I am installing a VMWare install on a new computer and am running into the -250 error. I have changed the BDFLUSHER, but I can't figure out "how to abort SCO Openserver properly so as to avoid later software issues, respawning errors, DIS load errors -250 ect ect"

Any help would be most appreciated.
    Rob
    Prior projects:
    1998 540i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy Power
    - pictures and details
    1992 325i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details
    1995 M3 with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details

My Cars
    M3 CSL
    Quote Originally Posted by ErmAKOFF View Post
    Hi, sorry for my english.

Thank you very much for the best guide with pictures, you are a true master! -)

I installed the DIS V57 for Compaq Evo N600c, following your guide step by step. DIS successfully installed, I tried to connect the original head of BMW GT1 through a network cable, then the black screen appeared, I rebooted the DIS, it successfully loaded to the moment when the cursor appears on a black screen on DIS is not loaded.

Help please, what should I do? Earlier on this laptop was an old version of DIS and successfully worked for 3 years! A new version is loaded to the cursor appears on a black screen -(((((
    As a rule of thumb the native install only works well on the IBM T30 ... everything else I can't guarantee.

Also if the DIS doesn't boot up after a couple of uses or gives you the black screen it means something has gone wrong during install.

I have 3 separate harddrives where I've tried this install on and the machine has been lent out multiple times to others to diagnose their cars (even to a BMW trained tech on numerous occasions) - never had an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DingoKG View Post
    Hello I have the Group Tester 1 Siemens BMW with a touchscreen. The problem is I can't get it to boot. It develops an error and this message : "$1/etc/smck :verify system with software manager(custom) or restore files from backup". I have all the dealer level CDS from BMW Munich Germany which whenever I try to boot from do not work. What could be the problem? On the other hand I have 3 BMW DIS V57 SSS V39 PRECONFIGURED HDD For IBM T30.All the three HDD are working fine from IBM T30 when I boot from DIS(linux environment and not VMWARE). I can do diagnosis well using both of my heads Yellow DK(Genuine Siemens) and Orange OPPS. Problem comes when I log into SSS Progman. Both of my heads Genuine Siemens and Orange OPPS are not been able to establish a connection I.E Progman 'Start New Session' cannot detect the connected heads yet DIS detect them very well. When I restart SSS the problem still persists and when I go to configure IP address I get stranded since from DIS everything is fine so I don't see why SSS is faulty. The IP for Orange OPPS is 192.168.68.85 and for Yellow DK is 192.168.68.31. Progman recognizes both heads but with a Question mark. DIS recognizes both heads flawlessly and I'm able to do full diagnosis. What could be the problem? Please assist on this issue.
    SSS v39? Those won't work with the genuine EDIC head. SSS officially only goes up to v32 and as far as I know anything after that has been installed natively have been hacked so might not work with the genuine heads.

I've not tried my SSS with a genuine Yellow or OPS head, but it works fine on my clone head.

Quote Originally Posted by rao View Post
    I am installing a VMWare install on a new computer and am running into the -250 error. I have changed the BDFLUSHER, but I can't figure out "how to abort SCO Openserver properly so as to avoid later software issues, respawning errors, DIS load errors -250 ect ect"

Any help would be most appreciated.
    Read my guide above again carefully - it deals with how to abort SCO Openserver correctly so you won't run into the respawning errors.

I had that issue for a long time until I figured it out. Read it properly it's all in the guide.

My Cars
    e36 m3
    Where can i get the DIS installation and DISv57 CD? most I seen come as complete package with T30 and DK head

My Cars
    2004 BMW X5
    Quote Originally Posted by NZM3CSL View Post
    As a rule of thumb the native install only works well on the IBM T30 ... everything else I can't guarantee.

Also if the DIS doesn't boot up after a couple of uses or gives you the black screen it means something has gone wrong during install.

I have 3 separate harddrives where I've tried this install on and the machine has been lent out multiple times to others to diagnose their cars (even to a BMW trained tech on numerous occasions) - never had an issue.

SSS v39? Those won't work with the genuine EDIC head. SSS officially only goes up to v32 and as far as I know anything after that has been installed natively have been hacked so might not work with the genuine heads.

I've not tried my SSS with a genuine Yellow or OPS head, but it works fine on my clone head.

Read my guide above again carefully - it deals with how to abort SCO Openserver correctly so you won't run into the respawning errors.

I had that issue for a long time until I figured it out. Read it properly it's all in the guide.
    Tom it was a late reply. I succeeded in BMW DIS install on actual GT1 SIEMENS machine. It no works flawlessly with my GENUINE YELLOW DK HEADS. Any member experiencing issues with it can talk to me I 'll be ready to help.

My Cars
    1999 BMW E46
    Very good write up!

But i have some problems with creating the partitions!

I have formattet the Harddisk on an external HDD-USB Kit and createt the first partition of 18.635GB as you have written.

Next step is to put in the DIS V1.1 Installation Disc what i do.

Now i should be able to type in:
    sfdisk –f /dev/hda < /etc/sfdisk.ide3.cfg

but I cant type it in! Systems shows me a screen with much "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    to put in the right CD to go on!
    what am I missing? Do I have a wrong version of V1.1 CD? Or is something else wrong????

thank you for helping!

My Cars
    E36 , E31 1991, E31 1997

Definitive Guide to GT1 T30 Native install

Great post, absolutely super. Congrats!

Can you direct me to where I can get instructions to make a Laserjet 2100 Postscript-compatible printer, installed on a local parallel port, work with this install?

I try to run a test page out of DIS Self-Test in Administration, and nothing happens.

Surely there's an easy way to make this whole thing print to a local PS printer?

Thanks for any help,

-- E36Ron

My Cars
    2009 BMW X6

BMW GT1 with failing HDD

Hi guys,

i own a genuine BMW GT1 with touchscreen and DK. Today, the harddisk crashed
    I would like to get this baby up and running again asap. I was wondering what my options are. Can i buy a "T30 hdd", plug it in and will it run, or should i just buy another IDE HDD, create a partition and install the software (base & program)? I tried installing an old 10GB hdd i had lying around, but installation failed. Please give me some clues on how to solve this problem, cause i really like working with this baby.

Thanks in advance, Bjorrieken

My Cars
    FIT
    Does anybody know how to use dighead emulator with native installation of GT1 ?

Thank you.

My Cars
    2007 E60
    Quote Originally Posted by erik2003 View Post
    Where can i get the DIS installation and DISv57 CD? most I seen come as complete package with T30 and DK head
    same question any answers guys ?

My Cars
    mercedes
    hello
    i have the t 30 and the hdd supplied from china
    my prob is that when i boot the system it asks for date and time
    (date and time are set automatically in online mode please contact market support if you encounter problems )
    i tried modifying idm bios time but dosen;t work am stuck at this screen
    can anyone help
    no respond from the seller
    please help me
    thank you

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Change the MB Battery.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    BMW E39 1996 2,8i
    Problem Remotehost
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    323ci e46
    Which diagnostic head i need? Gt1 or icom?????

My Cars
    E36 , E31 1991, E31 1997
    Gt 1

My Cars
    E36 325i Saloon
    My original tutorial is still floating around which is good to see. Been away from the scene for a few years as i got rid of the e36 325 and temporarily went to the Nissan Skyline R34 but now came back with a 330 e90 ( got to find time to post some pics, all spec'd up, eibach performance lowered springs, 18" m rims, & black on black colour combo). Looks like I will have to get back into things with some tutorials for the ISIS software.
    Regards,
    Morroman
    BMW = Ultimate Driving Machine = 325i

My Cars
    E36 , E31 1991, E31 1997
    Welcome back Morroman! Your stuff on this topic is the best on the Web!

-- E36Ron

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 3.2EvoCabrio

Asking for solution

Quote Originally Posted by mccabema View Post
    Hi-Thanks for a great write up.

A bit of help please-I get to the point where DIS is starting up for the first time and I get "You Must Calibrate First" followed by "Please Touch Top Left Calibration Point".

Any ideas !!

I'm using GT1 V1.1 and Base V39

Help !

Actually....figured it out
    Hello!
    I've had the same problem using same software.
    Have you solved the problem?
    Please let me know, I need help!
    Thank you very much

- - - Updated - - -

Hello!
    I asking to all the member some help to solve calibration message problem mentioned before.
    Every help will be very appreciate.
    Thanks

My Cars
    325ti
    Installation 2015!
    First I want to thank David MC and NZM3CSL for the guide! Great work NZM3CSL! So I found one thing which I think should be mentioned:
    When I prepared my hdd to install DIS, right after the reboot, i couldnt boot the original BMW DIS V52 DISK. The system bootet the hdd (boot priority was correct set by the way) and ignored the cd rom! The problem was the original DVDs are DVD+ Layers! So I created an Image of them and burned it to DVD- Layer! So if anybody ever uses original Dealer DVD BMW DIS and get the message "Missing operation system", make an image of the DVDs (maybe with img Burn or another program) and burn it to DVD- layer! After this, I could install DIS without problems and now the Diagnostic heads are burning.
    I wish everybody who tries the installation good luck and "never give up"!

Cheers

My Cars
    BMW X3
    Hello,
    I hope anyone can help me, I'm using VMware Workstation 12 and OpenServer 6.0.
    I'm stuck at keyboard setting screen because I can't access to console by pressing Alt + F3. I already change the hotkeys but doesn't work. It seems that doesnt detect F3 or something
    Anyone had the same problem?

Thanks.

My Cars
    E30, E31, E32, E34, E39
    I'm attempting the T30 native install and running into trouble. Hopefully NZM3CSL or someone knowledgeable sees this and can give me some pointers. I'm sorry to bump such an old thread.

Everything goes swimmingly until
    Quote Originally Posted by NZM3CSL View Post
    Next type exactly as I describe (this is to stop DIS turning itself off before you can calibrate it for country and enter details):

cd hdFS/etc/rc2.d/ {then press [ENTER]
    This returns "hdFS/etc/rc2.d/: does not exist" and typing "ls hdFS" reveals that the directory is empty. It is almost as though the OpenServer boot disk is not detecting/mounting the hard disk. I see "% disk 0x01F0-0x01F7 14 - type=W0 unit=0 cyls=2432 hds=255 secs=63" at the "Press <Enter>" screen which indicates to me that it should be there. I am using OpenServer-5.0.7Hw-10Jun05_1800.iso from Xinuos's website. I have tried re-burning the disk and tried using a different hard disk. I'm not sure what's going wrong. Does anyone have any idea?

My Cars
    2012 C300 | 1989 560SEC
    I have a IBM ThinkPad T30 and would like to install GT1 / DIS natively, are these instructions still accurate and relevant?

How crucial is the 256MB RAM requirement? This machine has 2GB!
    Last edited by cyberdyne; 05-30-2020 at 02:44 AM.

My Cars
    325ti
    Hello august2015,
    I was long not in. MAybe try another DVD instead and burn with DVD-Layer. It also took for me a long time to get it work, but it is very important to have good quality DVD and also be good prepaired in pre work! HDD must be correctly cleaned not only formatted the easy way and Ram must fit and T30 must be in good condition!
    Hope that helps you!

Cheers

My Cars
    325ti
    Hello cyberdyne,
    it is relevant in some cases, sometimes install work with more ram, sometimes not, but with 256MB Ram youre on the safe way, so yes please use it as described!

Cheers

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Who sells diagnostic heads?

My Cars
    BMW E39 1996 2,8i
    Viete prosím, že mi niekto poskytol súbory zo súboru IBM T30 a BMW DIS v57, TIS, SSS v32 BMW Ghost.nrg. Ďakujem mnohokrát.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12