Thread: wiper problem after new windshield

My Cars
    99 540i/6, 04 XC90

wiper problem after new windshield

Had my windshield replaced last week, and had to drive it in heavy rain yesterday only to find that the high speed wiper setting no longer works. They just run at normal speed on the high setting

I don't have rain sensors.

Any ideas what controls this?

Thx

My Cars
    99 540i/6, 04 XC90
    Also discovered that with no rain, normal mode works at what seems like half speed intermittent only.

Again, is this normal and I just haven't noticed it before?

Can someone explain exactly what the behavior should be?
    Last edited by boca rat; 08-23-2010 at 12:03 PM.

My Cars
    99 540i/6, 04 XC90
    anyone?

My Cars
    1997 528i
    May be to tight. The windshield may be out more then it has been...maybe loosen the wipers.

My Cars
    98 528i RIP, 2010 SRX
    I had a similar problem when my windshield was replaced, except my speed settings were fine. The top of the driver's blade doesn't touch the glass on the way down. When I adjust it one notch down, the blade is fine, but the wiper "wing" bumps the glass when going down.

I would try what Constructo003 suggested and loosen them up just a hair and see if it helps. Keep plenty of water on the glass while you're testing so you don't burn up your blades or the wiper motor.
    9/30/2007 - 200,000 Miles!
    11/29/10 - 300,000 miles and counting! 4/10/2012 - 332,635! 01/14/2013 - 350,000 miles! 10/25/15 - 395,872 End of the Road
    Never explain yourself... Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe you anyway!

My Cars
    00 528i, 07 VW Eos
    I have no idea what these guys are talking about with "loosening your wipers". The wiper relay failed on my car, but this caused the wipers to quit completely. I would check it, though. It's under the passenger side filter housing and in a white plastic box. It's a tall greenish relay. They are not too expensive, so it's worth a try. Odd, though, that this happened after the windshield install. Could there be some binding from something not put back together correctly?

My Cars
    2002 M5, 98 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by boca rat View Post
    Also discovered that with no rain, normal mode works at what seems like half speed intermittent only.

Again, is this normal and I just haven't noticed it before?

Can someone explain exactly what the behavior should be?

Hmm, maybe it's working properly LOL? That's kinda how mine have been working ever since I owned the car, but have only had it just over a year. Maybe mine are not right too?

But my high speed setting does work on high when there's rain. When stopped it goes to normal speed.

When stopped on normal speed it goes to intermittent. Speeds up the faster I go.

My Cars
    99 540i/6, 04 XC90
    Interesting, mine behaves exactly like that EXCEPT moving in torrential rain when the wipers don't go to high speed.

I will try the relay as have to get the drivers belly pan tomorrow anyway.

My Cars
    2000 540IA Sport
    Wiper motor

The wiper motor is configured for two different wiper speeds. The load is switched via two external relays.
    The end position (park position) of the wiper motor is recognized by means of a reset contact integrated in the motor. This contact switches ground to the general module when the motor has reached its end position.
    The reset contact is also used for monitoring the wiper motor. If the contact signal is not received for 16 seconds with the wiper motor switched on (e.g. dry running), the wiper motor is switched off in order to protect it from overloading.
    The wiper is not switched on again before it has been switched off and a lock-out time of 3 minutes has elapsed.

The wiper speed is set at the wiper switch. If automatic interval control is not installed, ie rain sensor, the wiper speed will be additionally controlled according to the road speed. The following settings apply:
    Road speed < 6 km/h
    Switch set to stage 1 = intermittant wipe
    Switch set to stage 2 = wiper motor at stage 1

> 6 km/h
    Switch set to stage 1 = Wiper motor at stage 1
    Switch set to stage 2 = Wiper motor at stage 2

When stage 2 is switched on, stage 1 cuts in at > 210 km/h to prevent the wiper arm from lifting.
    On vehicles with the optional extra automatic interval control (AIC) (as of March 1996), the windscreen wipers are not controlled according to road speed
    Last edited by shenecke; 08-26-2010 at 12:17 PM.

My Cars
    98 540i6
    RainX - you probably won't ever need more than intermittent wipers.