Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are E46 325's made in Africa?

My Cars
    Landcruiser

Are E46 325's made in Africa?

I ran across a statement on another board that said all 325's and below are made in S. Africa. Can anyone confirm this? I'm sure it doesn't take away from it's quality but if this is true than I've learned something new today.
    Current BMW
    On the hunt...

Past BMWs
    '00 Le Mans Blue M5 DINAN
    '01 TiAg 740iL Sport
    '85 535i Bronzit Metallic
    '99 Jet Black 540iA Sport
    '98 Jet Black 528i

My Cars
    325izzle
    BMW does have a plant in SA.. i aint sure about the 325 + below thing tho..

But its not like it would affect quality considering its still a bmw plant.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    I m sure BMW has quite a few plants around the world. I just read the other day that the new 5 and another model (X3?) are being manufactured in Austria.

My Cars
    325izzle
    huh?

There arent that many around i thought.. 2 in germany (2nd one opening soon) and SA.. and america?

There really arent that many plants around to my knowledge..

My Cars
    325izzle
    Leipzig will be the latest one.. testing is due right about now and in 2005 they start rolling with 3 series..

My Cars
    Yes
    325 sedans made in SA have been imported here for awhile. The SA factory has been making BMWs since the late 60's, first in kit form. Mercedes also makes C-class cars in SA.

The X3 will be made in Austria in a non-BMW plant.

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    there are cars made in south africa by BMW and benz. they are usualy for the African and far east market.

Hey man, I'm a professional!

My Cars
    '98 528I, 04 Mini-cvt
    I think but am not sure, that SA has really high Import tariffs, so it's easier to assemble them down there..

Interestingly enough, the only 7 series ever produced W/ a motorsprt engine wsa assembled down there. The E-23 745 that was turbo'ed everywhere else, the right hand drive for the S.A. market didn't allow the turbo intake assembly, etc. they would have had to turn the engine around. so they threw an S38 in there to keep performance proper.
    M6 - fixing it I don't

- Gun Control is being able to hit your target -

My Cars
    2004 M3
    Yup, they make them in S. Africa, infact, that's where my 2003 325i was made... It's a little cheaper than the ones made in germany.
    Dhruv

Specs:
    Estoril Blue, 2-tone Estoril and Black interior, SMG II, Aluminum Trim, NAV, Xenon Lights, Moonroof, Heated Seats, Rear Sunshade

Mods:
    Brembo Grand Turismo Kit (14" Front, 13.6") Estoril Calipers, CSL Style Rear Diffuser, ACS Style CF Front Lip, ACS Style Roof Spoiler, Hardwired V1, Hoen Xenonmatch Fogs, Phillips Silvervision Blubs, Eurotray, Estoril Side Reflectors & Headlight Trim, Estoril SMG Shift Boot and E-brake Boot, Strassentech SMG Paddles, GC Coilovers, Vorsteiner CSL Trunklid, Hamann Brake Ducts, Hardwired iPod, Recaro GT3 Seats, HRE 545R, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Meistershaft Sus (4x83mm)

My Cars
    '98 528I, 04 Mini-cvt
    Interesting, I thought those produced down there, stayed down there. Cool beans.
    M6 - fixing it I don't

- Gun Control is being able to hit your target -

My Cars
    Landcruiser
    Originally posted by dhruvp
    Yup, they make them in S. Africa, infact, that's where my 2003 325i was made... It's a little cheaper than the ones made in germany.
    Thanks for replying :. So was MSRP lower on your vehicle? In your opinion, is there any evidence that quality is lower than the 325's made in Germany that you may have tested?
    Current BMW
    On the hunt...

Past BMWs
    '00 Le Mans Blue M5 DINAN
    '01 TiAg 740iL Sport
    '85 535i Bronzit Metallic
    '99 Jet Black 540iA Sport
    '98 Jet Black 528i

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    I don't know why but I don't like the idea of buying a german car not made in Germany :

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    08 M6 Coupe
    wow, price actually differs???

My Cars
    '09 E90 328i
    Originally posted by Dinan330ic
    wow, price actually differs???
    Yeah, I'm surprised by that too. I wouldn't believe it, but before I read this thread I thought the BMW's built in South Africa stayed in that region. So, I guess I don't know what I'm talking about :

My Cars
    325izzle
    Its a bmw.

Its made by bmw. Just a different location. Its still the same brand and company, measuing itself by the same standards etc.

Thats like saying by going to a mc donalds in japan, you are in fact not having mc donalds..

My Cars
    08 M6 Coupe
    I wan thinking maybe labor is cheaper down there.

My Cars
    '06 325I
    Originally posted by dhruvp
    Are you 100% sure about this? My '02 325CI was made in Germany. And as for it being cheaper just because it was made in another country is absurd. MSRP is MSRP, I have never heard of anything like this taking place.
    Chance Mann | Go Dawgs!
    2006 BMW 325I Sparkling Graphite/Black
    Options:
    Premium Package | Sport Package | Xenons

My Cars
    325izzle
    Yeah in fact that does make sense. You can say a car is worth less coz its made somewhere else.. it would imply that its inferior. They wouldnt price cars produced in a different factory differently! Its the SAME CAR. Just from another factory.

My Cars
    '09 E90 328i
    Although I do agree with you. I am sure some buyers are dissapointed to find out that their new car will not be German built. It is possible that they take off five hundred dollars to make up for it. It's also probably cheaper to build it in SA as well.

My Cars
    325izzle
    But its built to the same specs and standards!~

You cant go compromising your brand image by saying that one car is inferior to another due to location!

Maybe labour is cheaper there. Maybe they get tax cuts. Maybe they save money on shipping from there. But its still the same german car. Its still the same design and everything... !

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Maybe it's the same design. I don't know how much actual HUMAN work goes into manufacturing these vehicles but if there's a lot, there's a HUGE difference in worker intelligence between the two companies. Some workers may have higher standards.

Unless BMW makes a STRICT effort to only sell BMWs that have all passed a minimum set standard, then I would think BMWs sold outside of Germany are not equal. Thing is, they probably do.

2005 Audi (Purchased 07/09) - 2005 Yamaha R6 (Raven) (Purchased 5/06)
    07/97 BMW (Sold 08/09) - 03/01 Audi A4 1.8TMCX (Sold 06/03)

Please do NOT PM me! Email me: clumpymold@sbcglobal.net

My Cars
    93 318is
    Originally posted by clumpymold
    Maybe it's the same design. I don't know how much actual HUMAN work goes into manufacturing these vehicles but if there's a lot, there's a HUGE difference in worker intelligence between the two companies. Some workers may have higher standards.

Better put your flame suit on....

Sieg Heil, redneck.
    "...time to burn some dust...eat my rubber."

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Originally posted by Lugosi
    Better put your flame suit on....

Sieg Heil, redneck.
    Haha, I was thinking the same thing when I typed that.

I was referring more to those "sweat shops" which probably don't apply to BMW factories but I was hoping the point would get across.

Oh well.

2005 Audi (Purchased 07/09) - 2005 Yamaha R6 (Raven) (Purchased 5/06)
    07/97 BMW (Sold 08/09) - 03/01 Audi A4 1.8TMCX (Sold 06/03)

Please do NOT PM me! Email me: clumpymold@sbcglobal.net

My Cars
    '91 850i '95 840Ci,
    Mass produced cars are not built by Craftsmen!

The only actual visible "Intelligence" involved is in "Process Engineering"

The manufacture is broken down into simple bits that an untrained worker can perform without intense supervision.

The major Quality problem with this system is the failure of the "Process Engineer" to listen to the person actually doing the simple bits when something goes wrong.

No matter where you go or what specific flavor of people you are talking about the common perception is that Uneducated is the same as Unintelligent!! The person who does a task will always know more about what he is doing than the person who creates or assigns the task. But if you tell them how dumb they are often enough they Will play that Role for you!

From the confessions of a "Process Engineer"
    (at least that is what it says on my cards)
    Terry
    '95 840Ci Arctic Silver
    '98 740i Arctic Silver
    '98 SVT Cobra Mustang Convertible
    www.wuffer.net
    www.8coupe.com
    www.8er.org

My Cars
    320i, WRX Sti
    i know the e36 318is coupe was made in South Africa... i know coz the car magazine i got.. prints a table which includes the country of origin... from memory, i think out of all the e36 the only one was the 318is coupe that was made in s.a

not sure on the e46's though
    1995 BMW 320is (Stock)
    1996 BMW 318is (Stock)
    1999 Wrx Sti ~ 2 Door (ummm Stock )

Sydney Australia

Can we do a rolling 1/4 mile ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast