Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Official DEPO vs. DJ Auto Thread (E36)

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    The only draw back to DJ Autos is the low beam back cap. It extends a lot longer than the Depo. The adjustment sucks on both sets but I think the Depo is a little better. The overall plastic is much better on the DJ Auto. The glass on the Depo is polluted with a bunch of crap on it. Overall I would choose the DJ Auto unless you have a CAI or a turbo.

My Cars
    09/95' 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonka1 View Post
    I'm thinking about getting some DJ Auto lights for my car but was probably going to stay with the H1 lights rather than the HID upgrade. Has anyone done this? Also no Angle Eyes. Going for a stock yet more European look. I'm not sure how strict the cops are in areas about headlight upgrades. I know that when I lived in Los Angeles 20 years ago, any types of mods would get you a fix it ticket. Not expensive, but don't want to have to swap back to the originals either. Any thoughts or input?
    I don't see how a cop would even know or care. You could always buy ZKW glass headlights from a dealer so its not like seeing an E36 with glass headlights is some type of red-flag. I even have DJ-Autos with 4300k 35w HID's and most people assume they are stock or were a factory option. Just aim them correctly and stick to a light color level thats average and I don't think you will have any issues.

My Cars
    95 M3
    I got the DJ Autos a while back from DDM.

The headlights themselves are great - no install issues, and they look great. The adjusters do suck however, and the p-n-p high beam harness from DDM is terrible. It keeps falling off. I used silicone to glue one side in, but the wires pulled out of the crimp on the other side.
    Two little mice fell into a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned, but the second mouse, he struggled so hard that he eventually churned that cream into butter and he walked out. Amen.

Budget M3 Build

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by Malarkie View Post
    I got the DJ Autos a while back from DDM.

The headlights themselves are great - no install issues, and they look great. The adjusters do suck however, and the p-n-p high beam harness from DDM is terrible. It keeps falling off. I used silicone to glue one side in, but the wires pulled out of the crimp on the other side.
    Agreed about the adjustment. it plain sucks. Depo does as well. it is really the components they decided to use. I am going to try and put my US adjusters on to solve this.

About the adapter, I now see DDM sells the twist type. That would solve your problem.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Anyone have pics of the housings on the back of the head lights to see which extend futher into the engine bay? I've been on the fence myself for a while, and my car is turbo'd so I'm interested in which takes up less space. Thanks
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3
    Anyone have pics of the housings on the back of the head lights to see which extend futher into the engine bay? I've been on the fence myself for a while, and my car is turbo'd so I'm interested in which takes up less space. Thanks
    The DJ extend an extra 1.5 inches

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketMaster View Post
    The DJ extend an extra 1.5 inches
    Thanks for that info. Looks like Depo's for me then.

Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    6000 is a good match for many of the angel eyes. Consider the match if looks are important to you (probably looks are why most people get AE). Sometimes compromises are made for looks. At least a few years ago, some AE were not as reliable in winter weather, but I think today a different technology is used for many of them. My older AE were upgraded and work fine in winter.

I have had Depos on my car for several years without any tab breakage and they have been off the car a number of times so there has been plenty of opportunity to break tabs.

Mine are 35W (from Habbie, at Bavtoys). I bought them before the 55W became popular. They are brighter than upgraded Toshiba bulbs were in the stock housings.

I drive year round in NH, where the roads are sanded and salted. I use stoneguard shields and they have stayed on the lenses and protected them well over the years.
    Would you mind posting pics of them installed inside the engine bay?
    Last edited by GG///M3; 11-10-2012 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Any updates on these headlights?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12