Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official DEPO vs. DJ Auto Thread (E36)

My Cars
    2005 325xi (E46)

Official DEPO vs. DJ Auto Thread (E36)

It is generally agreed upon that DEPO and DJ Auto are the reasonably priced lighting option for E36 drivers - with both Bosch and ZKW $$$, and Apexcone preceived as cheap (please don't argue the purpose here is not to talk about Apexcone).

Specifically, in this thread I would like to see:
    1. Discussion of DJ Auto experience vs. DEPO experience
    2. Pictures of breakable plastic "tabs"
    3. Light output photos
    4. 55W vs. 35W photos
    5. Angel Eye options

My Point of View:
    I am leaning toward DJ Auto for price, looks and fear of breakable DEPO tabs. Let's stay on topic and make this as informative as possible.

My Desired Setup (I think): DJ Auto- 55W - 6000K - "Thinline" AEs

Thanks in advance! ...We're waiting
    Last edited by DStein; 08-18-2010 at 01:39 PM.

My Cars
    E36 / E46
    im currently running dj autos with 55w 6000k on my car and its a pretty decent setup. im not running angel eyes so i have no actual knowledge about that compared to depo. in my opinion i dont think im getting that much light output onto the road as i wished by getting the 6000k 55w. i might switch to 55w 4500/5000k soon.

the tabs on the dj autos are pretty strong ive removed the front lenses a couple of times to paint my high beam lenses. the weather seal on them are quite good and never had a problem with water entering into the headlight assembly.

My Cars
    2005 325xi (E46)
    Great information on the tabs! As far as light output, is it true to expect more output from a "whiter" light like 5000K vs. a 6000K? Can anyone say for certain?

My Cars
    E36 / E46
    yes anything closer towards the white end of the light spectrum will always be brighter

actually most stock xenon cars are all equipped with 4300~4500k hid for the brightest light output
    Last edited by yoshioka90; 08-20-2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E39 ///M5
    I have had depos for almost 2 years now... I broke one tab putting them in, but since all that they have been great lights. The output is pretty good but not as good as say a stock car equipped with xenon but for the price i paid i love them and they still look great!

also im running 6k in my lights and 5k in my fogs and you can definitely see the difference in like output my fogs seem to throw more light with the lower K

My Cars
    E36 / E46
    seems like dj autos would be in a slight lead over the depos in durability. but how would i know lol never tried depos :\ from what ive seen and read over the forums the dj autos have better plastics.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshioka90 View Post
    seems like dj autos would be in a slight lead over the depos in durability. but how would i know lol never tried depos :\ from what ive seen and read over the forums the dj autos have better plastics.
    It seems that way, It sounds like depos always break at least 1 tab from what I have read on forums (I have no experience with ether one). I can say that when I do my HID retrofit I will probably be spending a little more $ for the dj autos.
    Last edited by Darwin006; 08-20-2010 at 11:00 PM.

My Cars
    96 318ti
    the DJ auto and the DEPOs are essentially the same in quality.
    i have checked both out and dont really see any difference in the quality of plastic or the projector and have also heard of the tabs breaking on DJ autos as well.
    The real only difference between the two head lights is how an angel eye looks in the housing. DJ autos keep the full ring visible while DEPOs will hide the bottom part of an angel eye ring.
    96ti.... aka the pregnant rollerskate

My Cars
    2005 325xi (E46)
    Great info so far. I have a better understanding of white lighting vs. blue lighting. I think those breakable tabs might be considered a "push". I had heard about the DJ Auto showing the whole ring - I think I like that best.

Now I'm really interested in hearing (but more-so seeing) some angel eyes. Particularly, I'd like to see some thinlines. Also, some 35 vs. 55 Watt light output comparison photos would be sick!

My Cars
    E36 / E46

seandub E36 with thinlines. i really like the look of the thinlines/ccfl in the small E36 headlight housing. any of those LED angels ones seem to bulky inside.

and as for different wattage for HID it doesnt really matter that much. the 55w washes out the color but gives it a little bit more light out but i really dont see that much of a difference from 35w and 55w

My Cars
    Turbo e36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshioka90 View Post

seandub E36 with thinlines. i really like the look of the thinlines/ccfl in the small E36 headlight housing. any of those LED angels ones seem to bulky inside.
    Agree. I put mine on the inside of the lenses though. These are ZKW housing with DJauto lenses. The ZKW's were pitted to where they were barely functional.

My Cars
    E36 / E46
    Quote Originally Posted by cmzwirner View Post
    Agree. I put mine on the inside of the lenses though. These are ZKW housing with DJauto lenses. The ZKW's were pitted to where they were barely functional.

damn those look sick!

My Cars
    2005 325xi (E46)
    Great pics guys! Thanks, now I just need to save some $$$

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    6000 is a good match for many of the angel eyes. Consider the match if looks are important to you (probably looks are why most people get AE). Sometimes compromises are made for looks. At least a few years ago, some AE were not as reliable in winter weather, but I think today a different technology is used for many of them. My older AE were upgraded and work fine in winter.

I have had Depos on my car for several years without any tab breakage and they have been off the car a number of times so there has been plenty of opportunity to break tabs.

Mine are 35W (from Habbie, at Bavtoys). I bought them before the 55W became popular. They are brighter than upgraded Toshiba bulbs were in the stock housings.

I drive year round in NH, where the roads are sanded and salted. I use stoneguard shields and they have stayed on the lenses and protected them well over the years.

My Cars
    2005 325xi (E46)
    Ahh, I am focused more on the look than performance. Good call. Also good to hear your Depos have lasted. I experience a very mild winter in Cincinnati so I'm not too concerned about failure.

When taking lights off/putting on, do you use any tricks? - Like heating the plastic or are you just extra cautious?

Thanks!
    Last edited by DStein; 08-23-2010 at 02:23 PM.

My Cars
    02 BMW X5 5 spd manual
    thank god this post came up.. I was just comparing these two last night. I decided I wanted the dj auto's because they fit my budget a little better.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by DStein View Post
    Ahh, I am focused more on the look than performance. Good call. Also good to hear your Depos have lasted. I experience a very mild winter in Cincinnati so I'm not too concerned about failure.

When taking lights off/putting on, do you use any tricks? - Like heating the plastic or are you just extra cautious?

Thanks!
    I just try to be careful. I don't heat the plastic or use any tricks. I have had them out a dozen times (had a 450+ rwhp supercharger and was constantly changing things and doing projects and repairing). There is no reason why you should break one. They are physically larger than stock, so you have to spend some time installing and removing them since the fit is very tight getting them in and out of place.

My Cars
    2005 325xi (E46)
    Cool good to hear, sounds like some peeps might be clumsy and impatient. Thanks for the reply.

My Cars
    97 M3, 2-97 328is
    depos here and I love em. I heard DJ autos weren't as good quality...

This was 2 years ago and I never owned any so I dont know.

So i got a set of depos from a member brand new with ccfl....one center tabe broke because I was a idiot while messing with them...it was my own fault. probably would have broken it if it was either brand.

Other than that got laminx on them (definantly need it if you get either) and there good to go.

I love my depos. The ccfls are great and I love em.

Only thing is cold weather you get the "pink eye" and dont fully ignight on one of my ccfls but once it warms up its good to go.

Anyone confirm that thin lines cant get the pink eye? Any downside to the thing lines?

Sorry to highjack but I've been thinline curious.

On topic I love my depos and would have went the same way.
    Need graphic design work? LookAtMeSmile.com

Quote Originally Posted by cr2596 View Post
    Yup. A differnt time for the forum. The great threads get 12 replies. Shit threads get 12 pages.

My Cars
    09/95' 325ic
    When I was deciding between DJ Auto's and Depo's I was under the impression that both have brittle clips(With DEPO's being worse). I decided on DJ Auto's and the install went smooth. Looking back on it - I had totally forgot the clips were supposed to be fragile and had everything in and out in less then an hour. I gave bottom screws hell too because the plastic things the screws would spin without A Lot of pressure. At least with the DJ Auto's - they aren't as fragile as some make them out to be.

What are amazingly fragile on my DJA's are the screws used to aim the lights. I would be interested in seeing the difference between DEPO's and DJA's when it comes to the aiming.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    I've owned both DJ Autos and DEPOs. But there's one thing to keep in mind. DJAuto makes one set of headlights where DEPO makes two kinds. They make one very similar in style to the DJ's and another that's called the Projecter36 series. I had the Projector36 series and now have the DJAutos.

Difference between the Standard and Projector36 sets are that the P36's don't have a glass lens covering the high beam reflector and low beam projector. This is to project out the light better and look a little more modern and updated i guess. Also, they come with Angel Eye rings built-in already that are lit up by halogen bulbs giving an oem amber-like look. NOTE: If you're looking for a thinline look, or don't like the big CCFL type angel eye rings, DO NOT purchase these headlights. The built-in ring will make any thinner angel eye ring look thicker than normal. Yes, you can remove the ring but what's left is very ugly and looks unfinished, even with angel-eyes sitting in their spot.

Honestly, even between the "standard style" DJAuto's and the "performance" Projector36's I didn't see much of a difference.

The major(read: very miniscule at that) differences I saw was that the DJAutos have a bit more of an uptick (which can be fixed), whereas the DEPO's were a little "flatter". Also, the DJAuto's DEFINITELY have way more durable plastic that doesn't shatter so easily (just click the DIY in my sig to see how I know) and also seal the light housing better. The DEPOs have these flap-like doors that are SUPPOSED to click into place but can fall out very easily, and the DJ Auto's actually have doors that sit in place and a metal bar that holds them tight. The only thing (in my opinion) that the DEPOs have better are the Plug-and-Play harness. The DEPO harness is wire-loomed, taped, and have a rubber boot that fits snugly over the plug on the headlight housing whereas the DJAutos come with a plastic-like boot that doesn't hold well (without an added ziptie) and can let in the elements such as water, dirt, salt, etc.

Here are some pictures for comparison so you can see what I was talking about. Hope this helps!

Projector36:

Regular DEPO:

DJAuto:

Last edited by LockDots; 08-29-2010 at 12:54 PM.

My Cars
    2005 325xi (E46)
    Great informational add. I had no idea about the 2 different sets offered by DEPO.

DEPO gets a big + for having plug n' play - I assumed DJ Auto's were the same, apparently not (I have seen the rubber circular protective plug you are talking about).

Again DJ Auto gets a big + for better plastic.

Great comparison and pics! Thanks!

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    np, and DJAutos also have a similar style plug and play harness that still has to have it's wires manually connected to the plug on the housing, it's just the "protective" boot that's different.

My Cars
    95 m3,95 325is, 2002
    I have depo with thin line halos and they fit fine. Nothing broke and I get a lot of complements on them . I would buy them again!

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318ic
    I'm thinking about getting some DJ Auto lights for my car but was probably going to stay with the H1 lights rather than the HID upgrade. Has anyone done this? Also no Angle Eyes. Going for a stock yet more European look. I'm not sure how strict the cops are in areas about headlight upgrades. I know that when I lived in Los Angeles 20 years ago, any types of mods would get you a fix it ticket. Not expensive, but don't want to have to swap back to the originals either. Any thoughts or input?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast