Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 iPad Install

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323is

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by steve1081 View Post
    I just trimmed the front of the radio shelf with a dremel. Same with the lip below the ac controls.

Another note if you are going to dive into this... The stock ac zone control cable does not reachbfrom the new ac control location. You also have to cut and relocate the ac control box that mounts below the factory sunglasses tray. Can't be shy with the dremel
    oh the joys of a digital dash!

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Someone has to take this a step further and write an app to display a radio and climate controls on the iPad, then use the dock connector (serial port) to interface with the vehicle. I'm sure that's coming soon enough!

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

My Cars
    02 aw m3
    great job!!

FYI, for those who are going to attempt this using the digital out, instead of using the uber expensive onkyo unit suggested by soundman audio, i have confirmed that the turtle beach micro II will work to pass an unaltered digital signal. http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/...e-micro-ii.asp

My Cars
    E46
    Such a sick build. Clean too

My Cars
    95 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by m2pc View Post
    Someone has to take this a step further and write an app to display a radio and climate controls on the iPad, then use the dock connector (serial port) to interface with the vehicle. I'm sure that's coming soon enough!
    dont forget about an OBC app!!

My Cars
    4 m52s,m50,m20,s52
    Wow thats a sick install...Great work!

Cheif Senior Hitman Engineer 1st Class

BfcOT Mafia

My Cars
    2005 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmernovice View Post
    Nice work!. Now if you can wire run gauges through it or on board diagnostics that would be the ultimate ICE piece.
    Rev2.0!!!!! Just need to have OBDII... which I do not... sadly.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPzAwInukM0&feature=fvw[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnPx4opR7o4[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle View Post
    Someone finally
    a: pulled something off they said they were gonna do
    b: doesn't look garish as hell or poorly built.

Thanks, I think that is a compliment?

Quote Originally Posted by m2pc View Post
    FYI I read that you can use the Camera Connection Kit for iPad (the USB module) to connect to an external DAC via USB. This may improve sound quality and should be looked into.
    You can indeed. There is still an issue with charging at the same time though. Soundman has an installation guide that walks you through it. I decided against it for now because I couldn't find an audio processor made for in car use that wasn't close to a grand. I only paid $60 for the CL-RLC level control and it sounds pretty good. 1,000x better than my rotten stock speakers! Here is a video of the digital setup. Very cool.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhj8S7bhquk[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by killaM3 View Post
    looks awesome... just be careful going into 3rd gear.. looks like it so close that u would hit it aha.. nice tho.. nice
    It is 2-3 inches away and I do not have a short shift kit. It is actually just perfect so you can make selections on the screen with your hand resting on the shifter.

Quote Originally Posted by 12v Electronics View Post
    I like it!

What did you use to cover it? Interested to see better pics of the detail.

Tom
    Pleather from JoAnne Fabrics... comes in a +/- 5ft wide roll for $20 bucks a yard. It is softer to the touch than the OEM Pleather, but it looks almost identical. Amazing when you consider that it is a 15 year old car.

Quote Originally Posted by peelsbimmer View Post
    soooo...Where do I send my dash and center console to?
    Nice work man. Looks very clean!!!

YAY! a 1,000 post for me
    I probably have an honest 20 hours of work in that panel... Mostly because it was my first crack and fiberglass and filler (lots of filler). But, I would be more than happy to never smell Resin again!

Send your dash to SoundMan!

Quote Originally Posted by PlumE36 View Post
    oh the joys of a digital dash!
    Actually, the zone selector is 100% mechanical and was the only thing I couldn't relocate... Extending wires is easy... Mechanical stuff is a bit more challenging for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sy0296 View Post
    great job!!

FYI, for those who are going to attempt this using the digital out, instead of using the uber expensive onkyo unit suggested by soundman audio, i have confirmed that the turtle beach micro II will work to pass an unaltered digital signal. http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/...e-micro-ii.asp
    If you read all the comments on the sound man site he mentions that one as well, but claims there is a clicking sound related to the sampling rate... Since he was already spending thousands on the Audison Bit One and Audison amps... might as well go all out.

For most I think the sound quality of the analog method will suffice. I don't even have MP3s in lossless anyway, and I have mostly been listening to Pandora... it sounds pretty good streaming... But I think the quality of streaming audio / MP3s will limit sound quality before the iPads processor... But thats just my opinion.
    Last edited by steve1081; 08-24-2010 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Stephen - 1995 M3 - North Palm Beach, FL - Link to Mods List

My Cars
    1999 540IA sport..
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oDy2ZU8xqc[/ame]
    1999 540IA sport.Dinan stage 2 chip,Dinan cold air intake,Dinan tranny software,Bavarian Autosport High-Performance Ignition coil's.Deleted the res straight pipe to magnaflow muffler,MTEC Bumper's.

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    Thanks, I think that is a compliment?
    It was! We tend to get a bit cynical around here... nature of the game.

But you delivered.

My Cars
    are slow.
    So sick.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    94' 325i
    what happens when you shift hard into 3rd and you hand slips or the shift knob pulls off? lol

My Cars
    E60 550i
    Dam that install is super nice.. i want that so bad haha.... Maybe some day
    Quote Originally Posted by pwnage View Post
    what happens when you shift hard into 3rd and you hand slips or the shift knob pulls off? lol
    what if the world blows up tomorrow??
    Last edited by Arctikz; 08-26-2010 at 08:13 PM.
    Alpine E36 98 328i/5 - Sold
    Arctik E36 95 M3/2/5 - Sold
    Cosmos E36 98 M3/4/5 - Sold
    Boston E39 98 528i - Sold
    Cosmos E39 97 528i - Sold
    Cosmos E39 98 540i6M Sport- Sold
    Titanium E53 01 X5 3.0L - Current
    Titanium E60 05 545i Sport - Current
    Monaco E60 06 550i Sport - Current

My Cars
    turbo m3
    It looks like it will fit perfectly there. BTW, what are the hulu and pandora apps??
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    2005 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
    It looks like it will fit perfectly there. BTW, what are the hulu and pandora apps??
    Streaming Music and TV applications... Free!

http://www.pandora.com/

http://www.hulu.com/

My Cars
    2014 Toyota Corolla S
    Great work. Get some quality pictures and videos!

My Cars
    2005 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryWhopper View Post
    Great work. Get some quality pictures and videos!
    I'm working on it...

I finally got the last speaker installed today... Cutting for the 6 1/2's was a little more work than I expected.... It is a tough angle and it is difficult to cut a circle with a cutoff wheel...

I am going to put everything back together and take some decent pictures tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Finally finished up today. Cleaned the car up and took a few pictures.

This is behind the iPad. I am working on panel to go here that will be covered with the same vinyl... But I am still working on my bluetooth setup.

This is the top of the AC control that I modified to hold the bottom of the iPad and the dock connector.

Its good to have my interior back!
    Last edited by steve1081; 07-26-2012 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Correct Picture Links

My Cars
    95 BG 325, Monte SS
    This looks wonderful man, so clean.. so OEM looking. How do you pop it out? just pulling from the sides?

My Cars
    E39 540/6
    Good job, looks clean!

My Cars
    2005 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkA View Post
    This looks wonderful man, so clean.. so OEM looking. How do you pop it out? just pulling from the sides?
    It fits pretty tight in there so I have to pull up slightly on the big ac vent above and then i can get a finger in there to pop it out.

Eventually I would like to come up with something a little more slick... but I need a break from working on this for a few weeks...

Next step is to find a bluetooth hands free solution. Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

My Cars
    96 328is, 76 Datsun 280z
    Just as someone who has had multiple cars broken into, you might wanna definitely think about either some sort of cover for it, or a way to quickly and easily pop it out to stash in glovebox/take with you. Not sure if you discussed that already, since I was just skimming through looking for pics.

BEAUTIFUL work, though, especially the wrapping the shifter surround. So jealous.

My Cars
    11 E90M3, 02 M3, 05 X5
    When I first saw the title to the thread, I did one of these:

However, having seen your install and the very nice attention to detail, I will change to this:

Outstanding!
    2002 M3
    2011 M3
    2016 X5 40e

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    I'm impressed, it looks really good.

My Cars
    '96 Alpine M3
    When I first saw this post, I knew you had to get the idea from Soundman. Big fan of their work, equipments, advices, and videos. Great install!! I was originally going to do a Carpc install but this seems better, except I could use my phone as a modem and it on the Carpc instead of paying for 3g on the iPad...unless theres a way you could work around that.
    Alpine White E36 ///M3

My Cars
    2002 m3
    It fits pretty tight in there so I have to pull up slightly on the big ac vent above and then i can get a finger in there to pop it out.

Eventually I would like to come up with something a little more slick... but I need a break from working on this for a few weeks...

Next step is to find a bluetooth hands free solution. Let me know if anyone has any ideas.
    why don't you just use skype over your ipad?

My Cars
    2005 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by cemz View Post
    When I first saw this post, I knew you had to get the idea from Soundman. Big fan of their work, equipments, advices, and videos. Great install!! I was originally going to do a Carpc install but this seems better, except I could use my phone as a modem and it on the Carpc instead of paying for 3g on the iPad...unless theres a way you could work around that.
    iPad has wifi too, so I would imagine that you could tether it to your phone as easily as a car pc.

Quote Originally Posted by burrito007 View Post
    why don't you just use skype over your ipad?
    Not a bad idea; but... Im thinking that the integrated mic won't work to well in the car.

Also not very convenient since i would have my contacts; incoming calls... etc.

I am really looking for a solution to connect the iphone to the ipad. Anyone know of anything?

Quote Originally Posted by SixSquared View Post
    Just as someone who has had multiple cars broken into, you might wanna definitely think about either some sort of cover for it, or a way to quickly and easily pop it out to stash in glovebox/take with you. Not sure if you discussed that already, since I was just skimming through looking for pics.

BEAUTIFUL work, though, especially the wrapping the shifter surround. So jealous.
    I have thought about this. I had a $1,800 flip out alpine with nav stolen out of my truck about 10 years ago (when a flip out cost $1,800....)

I can take it out pretty easily and probably will if I am parking somewhere questionable. However, I rarely drive the M3 anywhere but work and it is safe there.
    Last edited by steve1081; 08-30-2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast