Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 iPad Install

My Cars
    '05 325xi & '07 x3 3.0si
    "wiring diagram".

lol

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323is
    ill be the first to admit that im a noob in this area. i wired my car for an amp and sub but thats the most i can do. i just got lost in the technical stuff you guys are talking about
    Last edited by PlumE36; 08-19-2010 at 09:06 AM.

My Cars
    '97 328i/6, '89f150
    may we have a schematic please?

-ducky

My Cars
    2005 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumE36 View Post
    any pics of progress/finished product? also im not a car audio genius so even a crude wiring diagram would be helpful
    My only progress is that I got all my parts today!!!

Doug at SoundMan actually just posted a great wiring diagram showing both the analog and digital method.

http://www.soundmancaraudio.com/how-...d-installation

The digital is too costly and difficult for me right now, so I am going with the analog method.

Pictures of the progress this weekend!!!
    Last edited by steve1081; 07-25-2012 at 11:54 PM.
    Stephen - 1995 M3 - North Palm Beach, FL - Link to Mods List

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Not to be a hater, but how is it going to look when you finish the fiberglassing? Like, how are you going to finish it? Are you going to put grain in your topcoat and are you going to match the color to the whole dash?

You are doing a great job so far. Keep up the good work!

My Cars
    2005 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 12v Electronics View Post
    Not to be a hater, but how is it going to look when you finish the fiberglassing? Like, how are you going to finish it? Are you going to put grain in your topcoat and are you going to match the color to the whole dash?

You are doing a great job so far. Keep up the good work!
    Great question... I have no idea how it is going to look... Like I said before I am just learning so it is looking pretty rough right now... That is why you guys don't get any pictures...

The only piece that will be refinished is the one around the shifter and window switches... I am looking for a vinyl or leather to wrap it with that would be a close match. Or maybe a carbon fiber wrap or suede?

Any ideas?

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1081 View Post
    The only piece that will be refinished is the one around the shifter and window switches... I am looking for a vinyl or leather to wrap it with that would be a close match. Or maybe a carbon fiber wrap or suede?

Any ideas?
    Close match to what? No ideas for close to OEM plastic except OEM plastic.

Fake carbon wrap is all over the internet. I believe our vendor Eurodyne sells it by the sheet.

Suede, you are on your own. Tear apart last year's clubbing jacket, The seats in your mom's '76 Monte Carlo or her Elvis painting on the living room wall. Otherwise I have no other ideas.

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    doesn;t SEM make a texture coat?

My Cars
    '05 325xi & '07 x3 3.0si

E36 M3 iPad Install

Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle View Post
    doesn;t SEM make a texture coat?
    Yep. That's what my installer uses for texture coating custom pillars and dash pieces.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi all

Yes, I knew it wouldn't be long before an iPad install in a BMW would be attempted! Kudos for giving a go and it is definitley different. I can appreciate the thoughts behind it as well - seeing as I had the idea around June 2009 to install a Slate PC from Viliv (bought them around August 09). I've got other plans now, however for better aesthetics, and perhaps in a test car, I'll be installing either the Viliv X70 or Viliv S5 Windows XP slates. Take a look at the guys at Dynamism http://www.dynamism.com/ and you'll see the machines there.

7 inch widescreen, 1024x600 hi res touchscreens, GPS, USB, Bluetooth, Wi-fi 32G SSD and some are 3G versions too. When I saw the X70, I bought it rightaway! then I also saw the smaller 4.8 inch version S5, and promptly bought that as well! They're great machines too! Run Centrafuse on them and using the Belkin Bluetooth to Phone Music reciver to A2DP stream music directly to an aftermarket amplifier, you have a very upto date and discreet solution! As yet, I haven't had the project funds to install into my E39 as have some other projects on the go. However you can see the logic behind using one of these units rather than the current craze which is the iPad.

The iPad install is great in terms of 'it can be done' - however it's likely to remain 'done' on very few vehicles out there due to it's size which doesn't really suit BMW's.

Cheers, Dennis! West London UK!
    Last edited by DennisCooper; 08-21-2010 at 09:57 AM.

My Cars
    2005 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 12v Electronics View Post
    Close match to what? No ideas for close to OEM plastic except OEM plastic.

Fake carbon wrap is all over the internet. I believe our vendor Eurodyne sells it by the sheet.

Suede, you are on your own. Tear apart last year's clubbing jacket, The seats in your mom's '76 Monte Carlo or her Elvis painting on the living room wall. Otherwise I have no other ideas.
    The e36 dash is wrapped in vinyl... or plastic with a leather texture...

I had a long day working on the car... I only had a chance to snap a few pictures...

Filled and sanded the dash panel a few more times...

Gutted the OEM Mids and installed the JL Tweeters. They fit perfect!

The cutting for the 6 1/2's was pretty intense... I used a roto zip with a cutoff wheel. Any better ideas for the other side? Anyway, they fit and look good... havent gotten them hooked up yet.

A few short videos of the finished product.... They aren't very good but you get the idea.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o88Kh_zslhU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV7hhmXvZ-E[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukYjs8JPcw8[/ame]

Hopefully tomorrow I will get the amp installed and get all the new speakers in.
    Last edited by steve1081; 07-25-2012 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Update Picture Links

My Cars
    Alpine White E36 M3
    Looks super clean and oem. love it.

My Cars
    X3,528i,
    wow.thats a lot of work..but looks good..
    2000 BMW 528i / Manual Tranny / Sport & Premium package / Xenon headlight / Sport seats / Premium sound / DSC /
    2011 BMW X3

My Cars
    89 635CSi-SOLD-2001 540i
    Nice work!. Now if you can wire run gauges through it or on board diagnostics that would be the ultimate ICE piece.

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    Someone finally
    a: pulled something off they said they were gonna do
    b: doesn't look garish as hell or poorly built.

My Cars
    '05 325xi & '07 x3 3.0si
    Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle View Post
    Someone finally
    a: pulled something off they said they were gonna do
    b: doesn't look garish as hell or poorly built.

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    BAh, you know what i mean... Not talking about us, but the noobs.
    after all the yo yo yo, speakers in the grill, most awesome video install ever (that WASNT!) and the other noob threads of late.

My Cars
    '05 325xi & '07 x3 3.0si

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323is
    this came out sick! i was thinking of going with twill carbon cloth but the oem look came out awesome!
    i went diving into taking apart my dash last night and i got to thinking (never a good thing) did you get your radio shelf out in one piece or did you cut it and did you have to shorten your shifter or does it clear fine?

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    FYI I read that you can use the Camera Connection Kit for iPad (the USB module) to connect to an external DAC via USB. This may improve sound quality and should be looked into.

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

My Cars
    09 135i;Turbo e36
    looks awesome... just be careful going into 3rd gear.. looks like it so close that u would hit it aha.. nice tho.. nice

AZ 51 STEP GRAD.

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    I like it!

What did you use to cover it? Interested to see better pics of the detail.

Tom

My Cars
    11 E90M3, 02 M3, 05 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by m2pc View Post
    FYI I read that you can use the Camera Connection Kit for iPad (the USB module) to connect to an external DAC via USB. This may improve sound quality and should be looked into.
    Any DAC would be better than the $0.50 piece in the iPad. You get the pure digital stream w/the camera connection kit then? AFAIK, only Wadia got the pure digital stream out of the iWhatevers. The camera connection kit must be an aPple product then (sorry, don't pay attention to this stuff too much)?
    2002 M3
    2011 M3
    2016 X5 40e

My Cars
    2000 540i/6 89 325i
    soooo...Where do I send my dash and center console to?
    Nice work man. Looks very clean!!!

YAY! a 1,000 post for me

My Cars
    2005 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumE36 View Post
    this came out sick! i was thinking of going with twill carbon cloth but the oem look came out awesome!
    i went diving into taking apart my dash last night and i got to thinking (never a good thing) did you get your radio shelf out in one piece or did you cut it and did you have to shorten your shifter or does it clear fine?
    I just trimmed the front of the radio shelf with a dremel. Same with the lip below the ac controls.

Another note if you are going to dive into this... The stock ac zone control cable does not reach from the new ac control location. You also have to cut and relocate the ac control box that mounts below the factory sunglasses tray. Can't be shy with the dremel.
    Last edited by steve1081; 07-26-2012 at 12:01 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast