Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: !!ENGINE VIBRATION!! M60 Engine, Can't Figure It Out!!

My Cars
    Two 1995 540i/6
    I had an intense vibration from 2000-2500 rpm and when I removed the exhaust heat shield it went away for the most part. Easy thing to check.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 530i/5
    I'll check that, and the car will be looked at by BMW mechanics the next two days. The harmonic balancer is vibrating, so if I replace it does anyone know the difficulty of this repair?

My Cars
    540i6, 540iA, RX7, RdBlk
    If I remember correctly, the crank pulley bolts on to a hub that's attached to the crank. This makes it easier, as if you needed to remove the crankshaft you'd have to deal with the "Jesus nut' that holds the hub on. For replacing the damper I thinks it's as easy as unbolting the 6 or so small bolts after pulling the accessory belt. Good luck!!

Fox

My Cars
    1995 BMW 530i/5
    So I bought a new harmonic balancer, and here's hoping that I've found the problem. It was taken off by some BMW mechanics, and they said they couldn't tell if it was okay. They did say that replacing it should be my next plan of attack.

The car has no misfires and is running on all eight cylinders. According to the computer diagnostic, 2 of the 3 O2 sensors are bad or not always functioning. However, (according to the computer) they have been functioning correctly during the past 33 starts. (Maybe this is because the car is being driven regularly again...)

I also dropped by the shop the previous owner took the car to, and talked to the owner. He said the car was treated with the highest care, and even the smallest issue was always fixed. He sent me on my way with a stack of invoices from the last 2 years he serviced the car.

So, I'll have the new harmonic balancer installed by next weekend. Wish me luck...

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    Hi Faster Life. What will you gonna do in the mechanic?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 530i/5
    What was I going to do at the mechanic? I'm not sure what you mean.

My Cars
    BMW, E34 540IA/5/6
    I dont know if i missed this... But did you check the Fan Blade (Clutch Fan)? i had this issuie with a friends car, it had alot of vibration. Its something i didnt notice right away untill i did a Tune up on the car. Then i noticed on of the Blades was broken, causing the car to vibrate. Another way to test if its from the drive line (front pulleys, alt, A/C, power stering, water pump, Idler...etc...) Pull the Drive belt off, and see if it still Vibrates. If it does, you eliminate the Accessories driven by the Drive Belt (other then the Harmonic Balancer). Good luck..

My Cars
    1995 525iT
    Was this solved?
    1995 525iT
    (past loves)
    1995 540i/6
    1995 540i/5
    1997 328iC
    1990 325i
    1990 325iC
    1987 325is

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i/6
    I just swapped out my harmonic balancer and it fixed most of my problem. If you can visibly see the crank pulley wobbling replacing the harmonic balancer is worth a shot. It worked for me.

FYI all

My Cars
    95' 530i/5 b40 swap
    listen to two tone! check your fan for broken blades, it sounds stupid but its most likely the cause. i have two broken blades on my fan and this causes a violent but extremely brief vibration in the steering wheel. honestly it is hilarious to me because my car runs smooth as sh*t through a goose and screams when you want it to. just waiting to get my hands on a new fan/clutch assembly. i'll let you know how it goes.

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo34
    listen to two tone! check your fan for broken blades, it sounds stupid but its most likely the cause. i have two broken blades on my fan and this causes a violent but extremely brief vibration in the steering wheel. honestly it is hilarious to me because my car runs smooth as sh*t through a goose and screams when you want it to. just waiting to get my hands on a new fan/clutch assembly. i'll let you know how it goes.
    +1. A Broken blade gave me a rough 1000-2000rpm when I first bought my car.

My Cars
    1995 525iT
    Yeah fan blades are all there and it doesnt visably wobble when I look at it.. I will take the fan off and see what happens.

If that isnt it then I'm going to do motor mounts, and if thats not it I will lookin into the harmonic thing, and if thats not it, ill take off the flywheel and see if that does it. if all of that doesnt work , I will drive it into a lake.

(note, my motor mounts are def. in need of replacement because when I floor it in 1st the whole goddam shifter moves like 5 inches to the right)

I just dont think the engine naturally vibrates that much that a motor mount would cause you to feel it so bad, but who knows!
    Last edited by bhch142; 09-29-2011 at 12:26 PM.
    1995 525iT
    (past loves)
    1995 540i/6
    1995 540i/5
    1997 328iC
    1990 325i
    1990 325iC
    1987 325is

My Cars
    1993 Bmw E34 540i

Hello, I have same problem. And did you resolve it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Faster Life View Post
    The vibration comes from the engine, is constant, and is most noticeable between 1000 and 2000 RPM. At freeway speeds, it feels like it comes in waves (little faint shakes every second or so.) The engine seems to run fine. No hesitation, returns to idle nicely, etc. It also seems to have normal power. The vibration is there when the car is in neutral as well.

Here's what I've done so far:

- Replaced all ignition coils
    - Replaced all spark plugs
    - Replaced fuel filters
    - Checked motor mounts = good
    - Checked compression = good
    - Disconnected MAF sensor = no change, except ran more roughly

I installed the ignition coils and fuel filters today, and figure if ether were the problem, the vibration would be gone. However, is it possible the ECU might need time to adapt to the new hardware or a disconnected MAF sensor? I've put approximately 30 miles on the car after those repairs.

Next is checking the fuel injectors. Does anyone have any other ideas as to the source of this problem? I'm starting to run out of ideas...

Thanks!

Hello I have same problem, Did you resolve it ?

My Cars
    '95 540i/6
    8 years ago, dude is probably long gone.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Mykk View Post
    8 years ago, dude is probably long gone.
    Yep, last post was 2013 in the E39 section so apparently the car and it's troubles moved on.
    Reading a few of the OP's last E34 posts; it seems he had a vacuum leak that eventually became bad enough for him to find. He speculates that it was the cause for other(unspecified) issues he had been having.
    Vacuum leak makes sense and the PCV system was one of the first things to be called out in this thread.
    Wouldn't it be nice if all the folks who come looking for advice would have the courtesy to follow up with their solution, or not?

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12