Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: E30 S52 turbo track toy build

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo325ii View Post
    Great stuff man! Cant wait to see the dyno curves with the head porting.
    Thanks dude! At this point I'd be happy to see it move under its own power, anything beyond that being bonus

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    WOW!!!!!!!!!

You sure got a purty head.
    Inconel exh valves? 1mm Oversize too?

combustible de camping? Where do you reside? IYDMMA

My Cars
    66 chevelle, 89 turbo.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
    Thanks dude! At this point I'd be happy to see it move under its own power, anything beyond that being bonus
    .... so true! I've been there man! You will get her all finished up nice!

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by milKt View Post
    WOW!!!!!!!!!

You sure got a purty head.
    Inconel exh valves? 1mm Oversize too?

combustible de camping? Where do you reside? IYDMMA
    LOL dirty, I just saw the movie for the first time last week.

Yessir.

I reside in the land of bagged milk. Toronto area.

My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    RODL

The movie has been waiting for you since 1972. Thanks for finally visiting her.

My Cars
    mostly bmw
    Wow.. It just doesn't end. This is intense D.
    95 turbo 330ti. 01 maxpsi m3 e85. 01 m5. 01 m coupe. 03 AIM 996t e85. 06 x3 w/Meyers plow and winter daily. Prussian Motors is hiring!! prussianmotors.com/jobs
    Current e39t LS Turbo swap: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...LS-e39-Touring

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Engine builder told me I'll have my engine next week (Monday). I giggled to myself and decided to scroll up the SMS history...

My Cars
    66 chevelle, 89 turbo.
    That's why you build it yourself. No waiting on anybody! Except machine shop of course. Is that who your still waiting on?

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    That's why you build it yourself. No waiting on anybody! Except machine shop of course. Is that who your still waiting on?
    See the date...

He told me that he'll drop it off on Monday (ie next week), which made me remember that text.

Yeah building myself would be nice but I'm not learning how to build engines with something like this. This guy is really special. Too bad he takes forever. Granted it's a hobby business (his primary occupation is professional engineering for someone else), and he barely has time to sleep between everything he needs to do but... damn. All I've got left now is a sense of humor about it all. I don't expect next Monday to come true.

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51
    Who's the builder?

"Believe nothing you hear, half of what you read"

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    He's a local guy here in the Toronto area. I don't want to name him until the engine produces results cause right now it wouldn't be a fair rap.

The thing is that other than the asinine delay, I would choose him again in the blink of an eye for a serious project like this. For one, his delays aren't without perfectly good reasons and he never tried to hide from me (which other racing shops in my area are known for - when they have various delays, usually caused by guys with more money than you showing up, they stop answering the phone when you call).

Also the way he's approached this build has been nothing short of confidence inspiring. When he got to the fasteners, he said he doesn't want to use the stock sized ARPs. When I waffled, he said that he'll do it if I insist but he doesn't want his name mentioned with this motor in that case. I caved, he installed 12mm head studs and 11mm mains. I didn't know much about BMW FI builds at the time but having observed the endless HG issues these motors have under boost, it seems like he saved me a fistfull of aggravation down the line.

Another example is I'm going to have him do the exhaust and to help my budget, I asked his opinion on aluminized steel. He said he won't use anything but stainless and if I can't swing it, he'll eat the difference...

I think that represents one of the important differences between him and others - it's not his bread and butter. While this causes unforseen delays, it also gives him the freedom to be uncompromising. He plans to make it fulltime when he retires but for now, he picks and chooses projects. I've heard him pick up the phone and turn down work he didn't think was cool.

Anyway, Monday or not, I'm sure it'll be done somewhat soon, and it'll be forgive and forget.

In the mean time, I've upgraded the turbo.

New GT4094r left, previous 35r right.

New Otisfold on the way, can't wait, so pretty!

And picking up my racelogic this Friday, I needed more challenge for the winter :P

My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    New Panafold on the way, can't wait, so pretty!
    fixed

and with 4094 spacecraft propulsion installed,
    the you may become the God of a far off Planet sooner than others.

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3

And picking up my racelogic this Friday, I needed more challenge for the winter :P
    You've got this backwards. The challenge is driving this thing without racelogic.

-Mike
    IG: @mikevanshellenbeck

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by milKt View Post
    fixed

and with 4094 spacecraft propulsion installed,
    the you may become the God of a far off Planet sooner than others.
    lol I like that. Yeah should be something. Even as a pile of parts it's impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeE36 View Post
    You've got this backwards. The challenge is driving this thing without racelogic.

-Mike
    hehe that assumes I will actually get to drive it again one day

My Cars
    E30, E82, F30
    Why not a split pulse manifold? I don't get it...
    Turbo E30s. The New Supercars.
    Quote Originally Posted by mazur
    Sriracha is too hot for me.

My Cars
    E30, E82, F30
    Turbo E30s. The New Supercars.
    Quote Originally Posted by mazur
    Sriracha is too hot for me.

My Cars
    FrankBuilt 95 TRM3
    That is just a sick setup you got goin there Jugg!

My Cars
    66 chevelle, 89 turbo.
    Why the switch to the 4094? Just curious. I thought this was more of a track car?

My Cars
    FrankBuilt 95 TRM3
    He wants raping top end brutal overtaking power

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by Tchao View Post
    Couldn't be bothered with the extra cost and complexity of the manifold, downpipe and twin wastegates for whatever minimal practical gains (if any).

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianLove View Post
    That is just a sick setup you got goin there Jugg!
    Thanks dude!

Why the switch to the 4094? Just curious. I thought this was more of a track car?
    Quite a few reasons actually. This graph summarizes many of them nicely:

http://i.imgur.com/l4S4b.jpg

I've long since been worried that the 35r is really undersized for the 3.2 at these power levels and that finally convinced me. To make the same power with the 35r, you have to cram so much air to overcome the restrictiveness of the turbo that you end up with engine busting cylinder pressures down low and then fall off like a truck motor. And it costs no difference in spool (if you interpolate the 40r to the same boost, yeah it would be about 300rpm behind, but for the same power, it needs less boost and it hits that at almost the same time as the 35r hits its).

So I get the same or more power, for less engine stress and heat.

The only possible drawback is that it is quite a bit heavier than the 35r, and all the weight is being added at the front up high. But this isn't F1 and I'm no Schumacher. I've driven all kinds of things on the track (including a rental Cobalt) and I've learned that while all the theory about car balance and other setup are true, at the end of the day, as long as it's not unsafe, a car is a car and driving is driving. So as long as you're not in it for big prize money, it's all great fun (well if it has good power, grip and brakes, funner still).

A more realistic worry about it then is the stress on the manifold. I've been mulling over a way to brace it. I'm thinking to create a gantry from some of the unused motor mount bosses on the block, and via heim joint, either prop up or hang the compressor off of it, like so:

Last edited by TheJuggernaut; 11-10-2011 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    none
    If you hang it it will be wayy easier to install remove. Also your not building your manni but that's how I will start mine. Free hanging up there! The main reason is because I'm using 16GA 321SS and don't want it to crack from stress. The one I'm doing is on a E30 M3 build for a member on here, it will use possibly GT(X)4088, with or without the x depends on what is costs.

We will build twin scroll rape, will you be running the split housing on an open collector?

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby Colbs View Post
    If you hang it it will be wayy easier to install remove. Also your not building your manni but that's how I will start mine. Free hanging up there! The main reason is because I'm using 16GA 321SS and don't want it to crack from stress. The one I'm doing is on a E30 M3 build for a member on here, it will use possibly GT(X)4088, with or without the x depends on what is costs.
    Yeah, Otis warranties these for life against cracks but I wouldn't hold him to that warranty without bracing a 40r in an application that will see 1.2+ lateral Gs.

Quote Originally Posted by Colby Colbs View Post
    We will build twin scroll rape, will you be running the split housing on an open collector?
    Yup

My Cars
    BMWs
    D - be a bawce. Get an extra T4 flange and make a mount plate. The big turbo boys do it on V8s and such. They have a rigid mounted flange supported by round bar/bracing/whatever. The manifold meets the braced flange from the one side and the turbo the other.

Such as:

etc
    Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 11-10-2011 at 10:39 AM.

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Bracing the flange is definitely another solution I'm also considering. I was originally thinking in that direction but the guys mentoring me in building a turbo racer sent me that pic of what they did. I guess I could even do both.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Bracing the flange is definitely another solution I'm also considering. I was originally thinking in that direction but the guys mentoring me in building a turbo racer sent me that pic of what they did. I guess I could even do both.
    I feel like a heim joint is not ideal only because its so flexible itself. I definitely think you're best going rigid mount. The heim joint would need to be preloaded and such just right. It's probably easier to bolt it all together and get it fitted up, then fabricating your mount. Like, if you did the T4 flange spacer just bolt the turbo up to the manifold with the spacer between and weld up your bracing. You could do all sorts of stuff I think you'll be ok.

Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast