Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: E30 S52 turbo track toy build

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Awesome D

Sounds like you could tweak over run toward the end of the vid... not that it matters in a race car.. but still. Awesome stuff.
    Thanks dude! Yeah there's still more to do, I mean we didn't get to advance timing much or even to target boost due to the damn clutch. I doubt there is anything useful in the logs but I'll send them to Notorious anyway. It'll be much more useful to fine tune it when it's hot and dry.

My Cars
    mostly bmw
    I concur. Much awesome here. Keep up the good work sir.
    95 turbo 330ti. 01 maxpsi m3 e85. 01 m5. 01 m coupe. 03 AIM 996t e85. 06 x3 w/Meyers plow and winter daily. Prussian Motors is hiring!! prussianmotors.com/jobs
    Current e39t LS Turbo swap: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...LS-e39-Touring

My Cars
    none
    Dude you did the rear flares... moar on that!

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby Colbs View Post
    Dude you did the rear flares... moar on that!
    Wow guess it's been a while since I've updated this thread since most of the progress hasn't been FI.

Here's the wing I've got waiting for me to finish the uprights:

Frame for the wing uprights:

For the flares I started with a wireframe:

Then a construction paper template:

I also filled in the moulding trough with a steel plate. Then paint. I didn't care if it turned out nice, just need it to be half decent. I will have it professionally painted eventually. But the spraybomb turned out very well for what I wanted to get out of it:

The other side took me a while to work up the nerve to do. I was no longer winging it but had to make it as identical to the other side as possible. I had the foresight to do my best to make a mirror of all of the wireframe pieces and kept the template. This side also had its own challenge in the filler lid.

All in all, for a rookie welder and first time doing any kind of bodywork, I'm happy as a pig in shit with how it turned out! They're not perfect, I could have made them nearly flawless if I spend many more hours smoothing and filling but I couldn't be bothered.
    Last edited by TheJuggernaut; 10-15-2014 at 12:02 PM.

My Cars
    mostly bmw
    Was the wing a bad wing? I know you sleep with that thing every other night.
    95 turbo 330ti. 01 maxpsi m3 e85. 01 m5. 01 m coupe. 03 AIM 996t e85. 06 x3 w/Meyers plow and winter daily. Prussian Motors is hiring!! prussianmotors.com/jobs
    Current e39t LS Turbo swap: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...LS-e39-Touring

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by bubela View Post
    Was the wing a bad wing? I know you sleep with that thing every other night.
    There was no sleeping to be had so it had to go on the couch

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Really awesome to see this thing turn out, congratulations! I can't imagine 800 wheel in an E30 on a road course! Seriously sweet stuff, and really nice job on the flares too.

Mike
    IG: @mikevanshellenbeck

My Cars
    none
    Dude I think you need to Pat yourself on the back your work looks great for calling yourself a beginner. Can't wait to see it all come together. This thread should be called Multiplex V2 ala road course by the hammer of Thor! Lol

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Great Pyramids Of Giza!

You are a DIY CHAMPION!

Congratulations on the flares, the e85 tune change and getting this beauty onto a road course albeit a little more slippery than pre-planned.

Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    SO Sick! Can't wait to see track videos. It's going to be incredible.

I tracked my e30 at a 4 day event at VIR few years back, with just under 400whp it was incredibly fast, I really cannot imagine what wide rubber and 200-300 more whp/torque would be like. Actually, it sounds pretty scary.
    OLD
    E30

636whp
    1/4 mile: 10.91@144.38
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_f7fUVqblI

NEW BUILD
    335d

520whp
    635wtq
    120.51mph trap speed

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by futureroadracer View Post
    SO Sick! Can't wait to see track videos. It's going to be incredible.

I tracked my e30 at a 4 day event at VIR few years back, with just under 400whp it was incredibly fast, I really cannot imagine what wide rubber and 200-300 more whp/torque would be like. Actually, it sounds pretty scary.
    That's what I keep telling him lol

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    That's what I keep telling him lol
    He'll see soon enough. I highly recommend running wastegate only for the first couple events...
    OLD
    E30

636whp

NEW BUILD
    335d

520whp
    635wtq
    120.51mph trap speed

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Thanks for the kind words guys, I appreciate it! I've got a lot of my time, money and myself in this thing. It's a special feeling to feel it deliver what I hoped it would. I can't wait to have the power I've always wanted on the track in the dry

Dude I think you need to Pat yourself on the back your work looks great for calling yourself a beginner. Can't wait to see it all come together. This thread should be called Multiplex V2 ala road course by the hammer of Thor! Lol
    Hah, The Hammer, that is actually a really cool nickname for the car I may have to steal it. Thanks man, it's not up to your standards but it's cool that even guys who do work like yours can appreciate something like this. The car is definitely the spiritual successor of Jay's car. I learned so much from him, from basics of internal combustion, fuel injection, engine management, turbocharging concepts...

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by futureroadracer View Post
    He'll see soon enough. I highly recommend running wastegate only for the first couple events...
    770whp is wastegate only :P

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    Hahaha now that's going to be interesting...
    OLD
    E30

636whp

NEW BUILD
    335d

520whp
    635wtq
    120.51mph trap speed

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Until I replace the clutch that is

My Cars
    none
    I bow down to any man like shown here to cut up a bmw and hack it up to his liking! We are all equal my friend. If anything if you have any questions from doing the process I may be able to give you some tips but it really doesn't look like you need it man. That looks really good for any standard. I really have always loved this build you are going to make me go and get back to working on my elusive beast. Oh and yes The Hammer it is!

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    I bow down to any man like shown here to cut up a bmw and hack it up to his liking! We are all equal my friend. If anything if you have any questions from doing the process I may be able to give you some tips but it really doesn't look like you need it man. That looks really good for any standard. I really have always loved this build you are going to make me go and get back to working on my elusive beast. Oh and yes The Hammer it is!
    Thanks man, I appreciate it! Yeah I basically spend a lot of time daydreaming what I want to do to it next and if it makes me giggle, then I try to figure out how I can pull it off.

Do it dude, we're all looking forward to seeing your car commit some violence!

Hehe, it will get some AMG panties in a knot but The Hammer is so perfect for this car.

My Cars
    318iS, 328i, 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by chondamx View Post
    Although I'm sure pictures will tell the tale soon enough--what are you doing for rear aero? Reinforcements? I cut out my spare tire well and figured I would some how incorporated the wing mount in my patch panel.

I finally started building my MS3 and all the crap that goes along with it this week and am finally see in progress--thanks for the motivation!
    I only asked this a year ago--hurry up and get that damn wing mounted !

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Your wish is my command! Inside the trunk I built a 1" square tubing frame that goes down to the frame rails, with 1/4" steel plates securing the uprights in double shear at the bottom, and a diagonal brace going up to the tops of the fenders for some lateral stiffness. The uprights themselves are 1/2" alu. We haven't gotten around to rounding the edges yet but it already looks awesome.

This winter the focus is on the front. I'm probably dreaming but I at least want to get the beta of the splitter made, and the fenders fabbed. Since I'm pulling the trans to change the clutch, I will try to get the 210 diff installed. I've seen pics of other guys doing it, incl Boris, and they all seem to have had to do a lot of surgery to make it fit but with the E46 M3 rear cover, I did some measuring and it seems like it should clear, just need to add some strong tabs for the rear cover ears.

The wing base got a good test during the E85 dyno visit. When we weren't 100% sold yet that it was the clutch giving up, we tried to reef on the wing base to pull the car down lower. It held up nicely.

Last edited by TheJuggernaut; 12-10-2014 at 08:12 AM.

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    That is just simply focktastic.

Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Um, totally awesome and what are you using for the exhaust to keep the track SPL Nazis happy?

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    Um, totally awesome and what are you using for the exhaust to keep the track SPL Nazis happy?

Sent from my GTX3582R
    Hah, well most of our tracks around here are ex-GP tracks and now run ALMS/Tudor and NASCAR, so there are no noise limits *fingers crossed*. I just have the biggest 4" in/out magnaflow I could find. It doesn't really do much to make it quieter but I adore how it sounds. It's a bit of a mix between my favorite boosted 6s, a VR6 and a single turbo 2JZ. I might bring ear plugs though, as awesome as it sounds, I can see it getting old once I do more than a few laps at a time in it.

On the small track I went to, they don't *really* have a limit unless it's really obscene, they do have a drag strip beside the road course which hosts the nitro nationals. So the neighbors are somewhat tolerant of the noise but when I went, my friend was visiting his mother who lives around 2km away and she almost picked up the phone to complain to the track. He said she tolerates noisy dragsters because they only make noise for a little bit at a time but mine kept going. He knew it was me so he stopped her. Apparently she wanted to know what I drove, she'd never heard anything like it :P

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
    He knew it was me so he stopped her. Apparently she wanted to know what I drove, she'd never heard anything like it :P
    classic!

"Well Ma it's first name is 'Bad' and it's last name is 'Ass'."

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    classic!

"Well Ma it's first name is 'Bad' and it's last name is 'Ass'."
    Haha, and I'm all out of bubble gum.

Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast