Page 1 of 41 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: E30 S52 turbo track toy build

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA

E30 S52 turbo track toy build

I didn't want to do this until the build was complete and running but I can't resist after this latest shipment from Bavarian Solutions came in.

Hopefully, at some point, this thread ends with an E30 with M3/MZ3 suspension, 12" wide rims, boost by gear and 25 psi peak track-only brick. The engine is a currently stock S52 running on VEMS (with endless thanks to multiplex).

I've got about 150 pictures of the car's life so far but here are some key ones.

First day I picked it up. Traded it for a 20D straight up, had a busted clutch. Sat for 1.5 yrs but the shitty eta lump fired right up.

We were still in Vancouver at the time, living in an apartment. Changed the clutch in the underground. Didn't go over well with the super:

Found the S52. Prepping it in our livingroom. This is part of why I married my woman.

All done. Most people tend to be happy here:

Interior after installing the first seat, with the Kirk weld-in bar. I don't care I like my hammy steering wheel (laquered wood is surprisingly grippy, even with sweaty hands) but I will swap it for a Mod.08 if I find one for a good deal. Sunroof cassette has been cutout. Welded the skinned panel back in and siliconed the gap - looks OE from outside.

Toyota... delivering driving pleasure. I own a corner house in an upscale neighborhood and I don't give two shits about my lawn. But it bugs a neighbor of mine so much that he comes and cuts it for me every weekend or so.

This was a scary step... taking a perfectly running car and, well, I don't have a good history with side cutters

The center dash, waiting for the boost gauge. Was originally going to go with the TRU BOOST but now I'm set on making VEMS' boost by gear working - I don't really want 25psi in 2nd.

New GT35r .82 sitting on top of an Otis special:

Fuel rail c/o multiplex!

Car's name engraved (not up for debate, it has meaning and purpose lol):

Last edited by TheJuggernaut; 08-13-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E30 S50 Turbo
    Interesting piston design. What manufacturer?

My Cars
    e36 m3, e46 325, e36
    Nice pistons and rods!

Looking forward to seeing more pics once there is more progress.

My Cars
    '99 M3
    lovin the carport workmanship, and living room awesomeness!!
    TEC-3R, T4 GT40, WISECO, EAGLE, SUPERTECH, O-RING'D "FRANKENSTEIN" STROKER.

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by mazur View Post
    Interesting piston design. What manufacturer?
    The pistons are by Ross

My Cars
    95 M3 Turbo, 07 650XChlg
    I like the sound of this story.. (no homo) In for the turbo (no pun intended)

WTB: E36 ZKW Headlights, ACS Rear Diffuser,E36 M mudflaps front + rear

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by raoke View Post
    I like the sound of this story.. (no homo) In for the turbo (no pun intended)
    Thanks man, yeah I like the story myself, it's been some journey. When we first moved back to Toronto, I wasn't done the swap yet and was so busy with the house hunt that in the heat of the frustration, I was tempted to offer it for sale to someone to finish it. My wife basically said there's no fuckin way. And later I thought about all the things I've been through for/with this car (I could write a book about it), at this point it's not worth money to me. It doesn't matter what someone would pay for it, doesn't matter how much I've spent on it. I'd rather set it on fire than sell it now.

It's almost impossible to explain to someone who doesn't get it. Does, say, a C5 vette make a faster base for a track car, for a 600whp engine? Yeah. But it's not even funny how little that matters. The car represents an accumulation of great challenges, frustration and difficulties and so far, resulting victories and happiness, the value of which, can't be appreciated without being experienced.

My Cars
    95 M3 Turbo, 07 650XChlg
    I couldn't have said it any more eloquent. Shedding some man tears over here.

Any other plans for the exterior or is this going to be track only judging from the gutted interior and trailer?

WTB: E36 ZKW Headlights, ACS Rear Diffuser,E36 M mudflaps front + rear

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by raoke View Post
    I couldn't have said it any more eloquent. Shedding some man tears over here.

Any other plans for the exterior or is this going to be track only judging from the gutted interior and trailer?
    Yeah this is a track only car. It's formally registered for the street because it's the last year car that doesn't require emissions. But it's just so I can have some peace of mind while doing quick tests on the street.

The exterior will only be changed out of necessity. It still has its original dents etc, I really dig the triple takes the car gets after the first track session everytime.

I will get it resprayed at some point because after the turbo is sorted, it's getting 12" wide rims (and 14" 8pot/6pot bbk courtesy of WP Pro). It will require exterior changes but I'll try to keep them minimal. Alex S's is my inspiration. Hopefully at some point in this thread, there will be a pic of my car lookimg kinda like this (I want to add an APR wing):

My Cars
    530i E60
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
    Thanks man, yeah I like the story myself, it's been some journey. When we first moved back to Toronto, I wasn't done the swap yet and was so busy with the house hunt that in the heat of the frustration, I was tempted to offer it for sale to someone to finish it. My wife basically said there's no fuckin way. And later I thought about all the things I've been through for/with this car (I could write a book about it), at this point it's not worth money to me. It doesn't matter what someone would pay for it, doesn't matter how much I've spent on it. I'd rather set it on fire than sell it now.

It's almost impossible to explain to someone who doesn't get it. Does, say, a C5 vette make a faster base for a track car, for a 600whp engine? Yeah. But it's not even funny how little that matters. The car represents an accumulation of great challenges, frustration and difficulties and so far, resulting victories and happiness, the value of which, can't be appreciated without being experienced.
    Dude you just don't know how i am feeling you right now. It's the same reason I don't post much about my car and could have said the hell with it but I am trying to inspire myself to get it back on the road. I think after reading this She'll be back soon.

530i E60 Wizard of Nos Nitrous System/STS Rear Mounted Custom Turbo(PSI_unknown)

My Cars
    '02 325i
    looks like a good build, Im planning to use my VEMS on my s50 so I want to see how you do it

My Cars
    '15 228i M | '15 320i
    ..ahem..

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by ritoab View Post
    Dude you just don't know how i am feeling you right now. It's the same reason I don't post much about my car and could have said the hell with it but I am trying to inspire myself to get it back on the road. I think after reading this She'll be back soon.
    Glad to hear it man, do work! Sometimes it helps to just start doing stuff. Put your work clothes on, go to the garage, turn on the tunes and pick up some wrenches. Next thing you know, things will start happening on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrk1 View Post
    looks like a good build, Im planning to use my VEMS on my s50 so I want to see how you do it
    Thanks man. Mine's already up and running and its wired using the stock OBDI harness. So if you need help feel free to ask (PM me for my email if you like). Multiplex is a VEMS guy as well and generally an electrical engineering wizard.

Quote Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
    ..ahem..
    HEY... mine!

Seriously though, not that they need any hype but if anyone is looking for a supplier to deal with, I don't think you can do better than these guys in any way - be it the caliber of their products, their ownership of responsibility of the sale or patience in/quality of communication. I don't have a single complaint. Hell, Dave's on vacation and he's still replying to my emails.
    Last edited by TheJuggernaut; 08-14-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E30 S52 TURBO
    yay a build thread! i've been hearing about it for a long time behind the scenes, so i'm excited to see how all these components come together. its going to be an amazing build.

My Cars
    '15 228i M | '15 320i
    HEY... mine!

Seriously though, not that they need any hype but if anyone is looking for a supplier to deal with, I don't think you can do better than these guys in any way - be it the caliber of their products, their ownership of responsibility of the sale or patience in/quality of communication. I don't have a single complaint. Hell, Dave's on vacation and he's still replying to my emails.
    How was the packaging?

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by multiplex View Post
    yay a build thread! i've been hearing about it for a long time behind the scenes, so i'm excited to see how all these components come together. its going to be an amazing build.
    Thank you Mr Wizard!!!

How was the packaging?
    An epic pain in the ass lol!
    Last edited by TheJuggernaut; 08-14-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '15 228i M | '15 320i
    An epic pain in the ass lol!
    Means I did my job right, the more difficult it is to tear apart the better its packed

My Cars
    e28 m5 e30 4.4T e36 325
    Nice, Are you getting the car tubbed or going really wide?

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Means I did my job right, the more difficult it is to tear apart the better its packed
    LOL yeah, I was opening it and was like "wow he wasn't kiddning... NOW OPEN FUCKIN SESAME!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by lughed View Post
    Nice, Are you getting the car tubbed or going really wide?
    Thanks man, it's a road racer so I want the extra track width. I plan to do something similar to what Alex did above - have a bodyshop weld on visors over the wheels just enough to cover them lol. I love that elephant feet look!

Already got updates. Our local performance shop decided to have a crazy up to 50% off sale so I got my Tial gear. Never thought I'd actually get a deal in Canada. My MVR WG and Q Bov ran me 324 and 209 CDN.

Posing with some of my other bits:

Last edited by TheJuggernaut; 08-15-2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    A few mementos from the last track day:

My Cars
    1999 M3
    I love the E30 more each day. Nice build. Wish I would have gone with Carillo rods...and those pistons are AWESOME. Next time.
    Jimmy
    Technique Tuning Stage 2 on 9:1 built motor(SOLD)
    Boost Addiction Support Group Member
    Official "My Wife is Awesome" Club Member
    Just an idiot with a wrench...

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Memento from possibly the last time it's driven naturally aspirated. Reminded me that the LSD has lost its L.

Few warmup laps followed by some thrills for the inlaw. Felt bad at first for 13:45, thought I scared the poop out of him but all he did later was rave about how much fun it was haha!

[ame]http://vimeo.com/14309100[/ame]

My Cars
    '95 Avus M3, E39 M5
    Looks like a blast

Judging by your footage it appears as though VEMS is working very well for you. I'm particularly intrigued with this step here:
    This was a scary step... taking a perfectly running car and, well, I don't have a good history with side cutters

as this will be my winter project. Still unsure of which standalone route to go.

I was wondering what your thoughts/experiences were with the conversion [VEMS in particular] if you'd care to share. Feel free to take it to PM, as it is not my intention to dilute your build thread.

My Cars
    E30 S52 TURBO
    Keep a close eye out for a plug and play vems unit for m50 motors! Someone has managed to source the connector.

My Cars
    mostly bmw
    So this is where the red rail went. Looks like it will belong on the engine. Giddy up!
    95 turbo 330ti. 01 maxpsi m3 e85. 01 m5. 01 m coupe. 03 AIM 996t e85. 06 x3 w/Meyers plow and winter daily. Prussian Motors is hiring!! prussianmotors.com/jobs
    Current e39t LS Turbo swap: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...LS-e39-Touring

Page 1 of 41 123456789101126 ... LastLast